Which Lawn Weed Killers & Fertilizers Are Safe For Dogs?

shirra

My daughter has a 6 month old pup and has asked if it's safe to do the usual early Spring spray to kill Bindii followed by lawn food.

I don't have lawn so haven't any experience with this.

I've googled extensively but cannot find the answer for her, so hoping experienced DOLers can advise on products which are safe for dogs.

I have used weed n feed without issue. You just keep them off it until it is dry :)

and i recently used, and the bag said, scotts turf builder is ok for adults, kids and pets to walk around on immediately.

Rooster booster, and dynamic lifter are both safe i believe, but could be eaten biggrin.gif

Round Up is safe although I still use it little & sparingly.

There is a customer enquiry phone number listed on it & I rang them for a chat before I used it.

I think there is a phone number or email or something to contact listed on most products so I would advise contacting the manufacturer before using anything.

Weed and feed lawn treatments tend to contain 2,4-D, which has the 'good' trait of killing broadleaf plants but not grass. There are a lot of questions as to its safety.

Roundup and other glyophate (sp) herbicides have been extensively tested and seem to have no detectable effects on mammals. However, there are serious questions about cumulative and long term effects.

If I use bin-die (broad leaf weed killer) - I try to keep dog off it at least 12 hours eg put it on in am after she's been out for a pitstop, and then take her out to the beach or something and don't let her on it again until the next day.

Blood and bone ought to be safe - except a dog will eat the whole bag and then vomit in your brother's 1966 mustang car on the leather seats. Not my dog.

My dog is still trying to check out the roses out the front that I did a couple of weeks ago with blood and bone (cos she can't get those). So the smell seems to last quite a while.

Dynamic lifter - They put that on the local ovals and I keep her on lead while it's out because otherwise she eats it like it's chocolate for dogs. Not good. But hasn't caused a vet visit in moderation. I wouldn't use it in our yard where she can access - apart from the fact that it stinks (tho you can get a less stinky version).

I do use some of the fertilisers you put in water and then water in - they all seem ok - ie seasol, and the fish stuff and combo and the thrives etc - she's really interested while it's in the can but once it's watered out, not so interested.

You can make something called "silage"? out of weeds that have been soaked in a garbage bin of water for 3 to 6 months (to kill the seeds) and then put a soup ladleful into the watering can and top up with water. Unfortunately dog thought that stuff was really really good. So I haven't used it much. The bin lids keep the bugs out nicely tho.

I make my own compost too - don't put any meat products in it - and when I first break the bin up when it's ready - she's keen to help but loses interest pretty quickly. So I can use that out the back as a sort of soil conditioner.

She doesn't eat osmocoat either (touch wood). Mind you I don't put that on the surface - it gets incorporated with the potting mix. There is a risk that a puppy would unpot stuff for you.