Flat Faced Pups, Oxytocin, And Ceasarians

sandgrubber

Someone on a well known and controversial blogsite claims that so many brachycephalic bitches require Ceasarians is that puppy noses against the birth canal stimulate oxytocin release. Flat faced pups do this poorly, thus in many cases (a majority of cases for some breeds) a Ceasar is required. According to this theory, the usual argument, that the head is to wide for the pelvis, is not true.

If flat puppy faces are the problem, it makes it very simple to breed for free whelping, especially in breeds like the Boston, where some dogs have a bit of muzzle. It might also suggest that some sort of oxytocin therapy could be used to avoid Ceasars although . . . as breeders know . .. oxytocin requires a lot of caution and this would need to be carefully worked out by veterinarians.

Does anyone know where the truth lies in this?

Sounds a bit far fetched to me considering that about half of the pups will be born breech and many will still be in their sacs.

Yes, the stretching of the canal by the pup stimulates contractions but I don't think that has anything to do with its nose other than that is part of the puppy and may or may not be leading the way.

• 1 month later...

I have a brachy breed and have only had 3 Caesars in 13 years of breeding them.

What's the secret? Is this just good luck? Did you / do you select for free whelping? What breed? If you selected for free whelping, how did you do it?

Sandgrubber - if it were this simple then how would they explain the ability for bitches to whelp freely puppies which come out in breach position?

The secret in my opinion is always the same - select for good mothers.Those that mate freely, whelp freely and look after their babies without any help. keep their daughters and grand daughters.

Id also like to add that Ive been breeding beagles for over 40 years - a long way from being flat faced and for a decade I went through a period of 50% of my girls needing a C section. After selecting for good mothers I haven't seen a C section for the last 15 years

Its in the maternal lines in my opinion and we get what we select for regardless of breed.