Feeding Intervals

africandreams

Pups should feed when they want .... Mum should be with them 24/7 , except for toilet breaks ..and it should just all happen naturally - demand feeding :) Are pups losing weight, or not feeding?

if she wants to be. Maybe Mum has had enough, in which case it's time for you to start feeding ( and cleaning ) the pups. One of my bitches called it quits at 3 weeks with her 2nd litter.

At three weeks of age you could start weaning them onto solids, depending on the breed, some top grade mince enough to cover a 20 cent coin, twice a day, during that time my girls, usually beginning to find feeding them on the demand basis a bit over the top, between these two solid meals maybe three times on their dam. Eventually they will want more of the meat meal, plus soaked kibble and want to go to their Mum less and less.

Before long, if offered, you will find that the puppies will start lapping, I use Biolac and they have this until about five or six weeks then onto water.

At three weeks I would expect that the bitch is starting to spend more time out of the whelping box. She should still be feeding them, the pups should have full bellies and be content when not awake and interacting with one another.

So many people are in a rush to introduce solids and get the pups weaned. Personally I think they bitch and the pups should dictate when and how it happens.

I introduce some premium mince into the box when the pups are over 3 weeks, I also chuck a chicken carcass with plenty of meat in and see how they react to it. Most times the pups will suck and gummy the carcass and I let the bitches in to show them how it's done. I allow the bitches to regurgitate for the pups ( as a bitch should )and for the bitches to lead the weaning process.

I slowly introduce food over the next few weeks, whilst the bitches continue to feed the pups. I also give them a shallow water bowl and they begin to drink for themselves.

Sometimes at 8 weeks the girls are still allowing the pups an occasional suckle, eventually they will shut up the milk bar and turn the tap off. By this time the pups are eating and drinking on their own and are ready to leave home at 10ish weeks.

There's no point in rushing what nature will do for itself.