How To Stop Strangers Patting Your Dog

Kirislin

I often read here how some dog owners dont like strangers coming up and patting their dog. I usually suggest putting a muzzle on the dog because it will keep people away. Well, I've seen the perfect muzzle, this will have them positively running away from you and your dog. :laugh:

Edited by Kirislin

:) just came across the same thing

check out the link http://www.boredpanda.com/russian-werewolf-dog-muzzle/

I just read in the description on that page it warns against your dog wearing this muzzle where it's legal to carry firearms. I'm assuming they mean someone might shoot the dog, it's a possibility I suppose.

I want to get a tiny Neko sized one as her racing muzzle. :laugh:

:) just came across the same thing

check out the link http://www.boredpanda.com/russian-werewolf-dog-muzzle/

I just read in the description on that page it warns against your dog wearing this muzzle where it's legal to carry firearms. I'm assuming they mean someone might shoot the dog, it's a possibility I suppose.

I want to get a tiny Neko sized one as her racing muzzle. :laugh:

PLEASE DO! I will make one out of a thimble for you. Haha.

I found myself thinking about this today. The markets were packed this morning and I lost count the number of people who when walking past me would reach out and touch Blaze or pat her or as one guy did grabbed her muzzle to pat it. What the actual eff is wrong with people? Having a dog out and about seems to be an invitation to the general public to pat them whenever they feel like it. She's not even a little puppy anymore. I thought it might lessen as she grew but it hasn't!

We are happy for anyone to pat our dogs, specially small people. As long as they ask which happens quite often on our leash walks, our dogs sit or drop depending on age of small people or sometimes handicapped then all good for dogs and people. :)

We are happy for anyone to pat our dogs, specially small people. As long as they ask which happens quite often on our leash walks, our dogs sit or drop depending on age of small people or sometimes handicapped then all good for dogs and people. :)

We've found the same :)

I often read here how some dog owners dont like strangers coming up and patting their dog. I usually suggest putting a muzzle on the dog because it will keep people away. Well, I've seen the perfect muzzle, this will have them positively running away from you and your dog. :laugh:

oh, does it also come in 'miniature' size???

I don't have a problem with people who ask. I have a problem however when people reach out and pat your dog or grab them without asking. It's incredibly stupid to pat a dog you don't know without checking first if the dog is approachable. The number of adults I see doing it is shocking.

I don't understand the general idea the public seem to have that if they see a dog out and about its their right to pat it/ grab it/ cuddle it.

Edited by huski

I found myself thinking about this today. The markets were packed this morning and I lost count the number of people who when walking past me would reach out and touch Blaze or pat her or as one guy did grabbed her muzzle to pat it. What the actual eff is wrong with people? Having a dog out and about seems to be an invitation to the general public to pat them whenever they feel like it. She's not even a little puppy anymore. I thought it might lessen as she grew but it hasn’t!

I would have slapped his hand away. That’s stupid on so many counts. Such an imposition. It’s like people who think they can pat “baby bumps”.

Those dingbats are just asking to get bitten or growled at and would be the first to complain when it happened. I don't want my dog pushed into that position and punished. Gus is fine and doesn't care who pats him, Rosie can be shy and I'm fairly confident she wouldn't grumble but why risk it? If people ask I say cuddle the big black one, usually Rosie will jump in but I don't force her.

I found myself thinking about this today. The markets were packed this morning and I lost count the number of people who when walking past me would reach out and touch Blaze or pat her or as one guy did grabbed her muzzle to pat it. What the actual eff is wrong with people? Having a dog out and about seems to be an invitation to the general public to pat them whenever they feel like it. She's not even a little puppy anymore. I thought it might lessen as she grew but it hasn't!

She needs to be black in colour, that would help :D

I have a sheltie that wears a muzzle when out and about as he has a throat issue that means he can not eat solid food. On the muzzle in bold print is do not feed, throat issues. I regularly have people try and give him food as it is so mean to deny him. It is not mean when he physically can't swallow it!

I have a sheltie that wears a muzzle when out and about as he has a throat issue that means he can not eat solid food. On the muzzle in bold print is do not feed, throat issues. I regularly have people try and give him food as it is so mean to deny him. It is not mean when he physically can't swallow it!

change it to "he bites"

I don't have a problem with people who ask. I have a problem however when people reach out and pat your dog or grab them without asking. It's incredibly stupid to pat a dog you don't know without checking first if the dog is approachable. The number of adults I see doing it is shocking.

I don't understand the general idea the public seem to have that if they see a dog out and about its their right to pat it/ grab it/ cuddle it.

This happens all the time when I'm out with Hank. Parents even encourage their little kids to "say hi to the nice doggie". I think it's because he looks like the classic, family friendly golden retriever. Adults and kids run up to him and try to grab his face and muzzle. I've told kids "please don't do that" and their parents look at me horrified like I've just told them there's no Santa or something.

Drives me nuts. I wish there was a way I could get him to look less friendly and inviting, maybe I need one of those muzzles :laugh: