Tick Protection

Sheridan

Not living in a tick area I've never had to worry about them but we're visiting Newcastle soon and I understand tick protection is necessary. Anyone in the area? What do you use? Can I bath after putting it on and how long before the trip should I use it? Is there a handy tablet I can use instead?

It all depends on how long you are coming up for and what product you feel more comfortable with.

We use scalibor collars on ours but they need to go on 2 weeks before and last for 3 months. Probably unnecessary in your case unless it is a long visit. Preventic collars start working in 24 hours though and last 8 (?) weeks.

When we lived in Canberra we used to just use advantix whenever we travelled to a tick area for agility. It only lasts 2 weeks so useless for us now but was always handy for short trips. Technically it should be put on 2 weeks beforehand though (and then again when you travel as it only lasts 2 weeks...) So you would need 2 doses of it. We only ever put it on 2 days before we left and never had an issue.

Or you could use nexgard. It is a chewable and lasts a month. Not sure how quickly it takes effect but pretty quick I think.

I use Advantix on both my guys every 2 weeks which works extremely well for us. Plus daily search of course. I have heard great things about Nexguard but personally haven't tried as my girl is Epilepsy effected. The Scalibor collars are suppose to work brilliantly as well. I was thinking of buying the Scalibor collars as added protection when visiting QLD hinterland in 2 weeks time as last visit Sonny got a tick there. So am very worried about them as Ticks are rampant there. Not sure if it is a safe option though, so will ask my Vet first. Dam ticks are such a worry arent they...

Delta Charlie would really value your ipinion on this please. Is it OK to use both just while on hols? TIA

Edited by BC Crazy

Nexgard is reliable within 24hrs of administration and what I chose to use on my dogs when we venture into tick areas. (Bravecto lasts 4 months so more than what you need).

Scalibor tick collar is the only non oral recommendation that I make.

I use Advantix on both my guys every 2 weeks which works extremely well for us. Plus daily search of course. I have heard great things about Nexguard but personally haven't tried as my girl is Epilepsy effected. The Scalibor collars are suppose to work brilliantly as well. I was thinking of buying the Scalibor collars as added protection when visiting QLD hinterland in 2 weeks time as last visit Sonny got a tick there. So am very worried about them as Ticks are rampant there. Not sure if it is a safe option though, so will ask my Vet first. Dam ticks are such a worry arent they...

Delta Charlie would really value your ipinion on this please. Is it OK to use both just while on hols? TIA

Haha, I am hardly an expert :) Although I have done a lot of research into possible triggers for seizures given how unpredictable Shock's condition is.

Shock has always been fine (to our knowledge) with the scalibor collars, I haven't tried anything else with her since she started having seizures. Stella is pretty well controlled now, isn't she? If it was me, I would put it on her a few weeks before you were planning on leaving in case she does have a reaction to it. Then you can remove it immediately and have her recovered before your holiday. The last thing you want is to have her fitting while on holidays, if you can at all help it :)

Just a word on the Nexguard ... The info inside the packet suggests that dogs need to chew for best results. My dogs have no idea what chewing is (I think they're part duck!) so I just crush/crumble the chew into their food.

I don't know what would happen if swallowed whole, probably nothing except being more easily digested? :shrug: I just crumble to be on the safe side.