Gussy

HeelerLove

I picked Gus up and took him home to join our family on Tuesday the 23rd of October 2012.

He gave us 2 years, 10 months and a week. That's 1041 days of unconditional Gussy love.

Gus was a rescue dog. No one could tell me how old he was, but the best bet when we first got him was 10, at a minimum. He was our old man.

Gussy came home with us, where he learnt the meaning of the words 'love' and 'family'. He was a best friend to Shez, to us and to anyone that gave him a pat.

He made us laugh with his silly noises and his funny habits. He grunted and squealed when he got excited and snored like a freight train. He loved belly rubs, food, a good brush, food, being with his people and food.

It hasn't even been 24 hours and I miss him so much.

I was laying in bed last night, waiting for him to start snoring and the noise never came.

I got up this morning and he wasn't there for me to give him his good morning pat, instead his bed was just empty.

I tried to go to work this morning and lasted an hour. I got home and it was only Shez at the gate, tail thumping against the shed waiting to greet me.

Shez is looking for him. She hasn't eaten her breakfast.

Gussy was old, arthritic. At some point around the time we got him, he had a stroke and soon after went blind in one eye. He was tired. He lost all his balance in his last couple of days and for the first time, he wasn't interested in food. I gave him a cuddle and asked him what was wrong and he looked me in the eyes and I knew.

So we gave him his wings.

Sleep well, old man.

Mum and Dad love you xx

11951238_10153473201547221_5607082403178012365_n.jpg?oh=6253f15b656c62448c50583c5452691f&oe=566052C3

Edited by BlueyLove

:cry: :cry: :cry:

So very sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace Gussy.

It's so hard to lose them, I too am broken hearted since losing our girl.

Take it easy on yourself, I am sure Gussy thanks you for all you did for him and especially all your love.

Ray

Thank you everyone.

It was a pleasure and a privilege to have Gussy in our family.

He fit in so well.. the day he came home, he met Shez out the front so they were on neutral ground. They walked up to eachother, had a quick sniff and it was straight to the backyard for a play. They were best friends straight away and there was never a disagreement or squabble between them.

We are missing our man and so is Shez.

Oh my goodness, I'm sitting here in tears. How wonderful you are to have given a 10+ old dog a home, what a lucky boy he was. such love you and Shez gave him. You are so wonderful, as was he it seems - a very special guy. I believe he will forever look over you and watch over you with all his love from the Rainbow Bridge. I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. I send you the biggest hugs ever for taking him in and giving him your heart and your home, and more hugs for the difficult decision you had to make for him. RIP Beautiful Gus.

It's been a week today.

It's very quiet at home. Gus was noisy. He would snuffle and snort, grunt and sigh, snore and whinge. He liked to talk.

He'd snore so loud that it would usually wake me up once or twice a night. I would get up and gently nudge him awake but it never worked- I'd get back into bed and he would start again lol.

Shez is pretty down in the dumps. She is getting lots of love and we're keeping a close eye on her.

He has left a huge pawprint on my heart, that's for sure.

Completely understand.

After the loss of our girl only two months ago, Samantha our other Rott is just starting to find her feet again now.

The house doesn't feel the same, the empty space that they once filled is lonely and your heart aches to see them once more.

Hugs to you, they break your heart, and it is never enough time with them and the loss immeasurable.

Maybe they are up there, running free again. xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

54 days today.

Gussy's 3rd Gotcha day.

We didn't know his birthday so we celebrated the day he became part of the family instead.

Missing him.

His collar sits proud, front and centre on our bookshelf. It still smells like him.

I hope he has all his favourite foods and unlimited belly rubs.

I hope he will wait for me.

• 10 months later...

A whole year has passed since my Gussy was given his wings. I still think of him everyday and I know he is watching over us.

It's funny... our new pup shares some quirky little personality traits that so remind me of Gus at times... I am sure he had a part in sending her to us.

Love you forever old man.. I miss your boofy head.

328e3bae4b6218963adb6593183ab4ce.jpg

• 2 weeks later...