Jarrahwood Sled Race

Yonjuro

Here is a vid of our first heat on Saturday of the last race of the season.

Temps were a bit high but we had some very experienced race marshals so it went ahead and I was happy that it was okay for us. Some duelling with the overall season winner - I haven't got the official times yet I am pretty sure we came in second in this heat!!! She started 30 seconds behind and i must have finished around 10 secs in front over the line.

Had a good run of Sunday morning too batteries died on the camera, but not sure placement yet, but came overall4th :) The 1, 2 and 3 were the winners of the season so no shame in finishing behind them :) Race was 2.4km

I was very proud of my boy, as we almost cancelled due to him not being well the couple of weeks before this race. He is bright eyed and bushy tailed now :D

Edited by Yonjuro

He's a competitive little pumpkin! Speeds up when he's been overtaken, and then takes his place back again! It did make me laugh. Great video, I love watching your progress.

Edited by JayGee

He's a competitive little pumpkin! Speeds up when he's been overtaken, and then takes his place back again! It did make me laugh. Great video, I love watching your progress.

Thanks JayGee! Yep :D you need to brake when someone comes up which we did considerably when and after being overtaken I had to keep the brakes applied or Ronin would have overtaken straight away. After around 30 seconds you can go again to overtake. When on the straight towards the finish you don't need to give time or brake :)

Those are general race rules and etiquette :)

But you are right he is competitive, he didn't want to be overtaken but won't give up, he just 'dogs it' until I let he go :thumbsup: - just like his dad (dog dad that is)

Edited by Yonjuro

It looks a bit cruel to me. A dog dragging you in a race for what ?

erm, he is a sled dog, you know that right? Did you also know that they are very intelligent and if they didn't want to run they wouldn't ??

Sorry, I did not know a Sled Dog was an official breed of dog. I would feel sorry for a horse or mule to do that race.

Now you are just being silly... I never said it was an official breed of dog. A Siberian Husky is bred to run and pull.

I guess agility, and lure coursing are cruel too ???

Sorry, I did not know a Sled Dog was an official breed of dog. I would feel sorry for a horse or mule to do that race.

Now you are just being silly... I never said it was an official breed of dog. A Siberian Husky is bred to run and pull.

I guess agility, and lure coursing are cruel too ???

Looks to me, like one happy dog doing what he loves! I don't know where you get the vibe of cruelty? If you watch the video closely, you can see the "driver" gives a big kick now and then to keep the momentum going. I know nothing about sledding, so my terminology is probably not correct. Lol. I love Yonjuoro's videos, because it gives me the opportunity to see these beautiful dogs in action.

Now you are just being silly... I never said it was an official breed of dog. A Siberian Husky is bred to run and pull. I guess agility, and lure coursing are cruel too ???
Looks to me, like one happy dog doing what he loves! I don't know where you get the vibe of cruelty? If you watch the video closely, you can see the "driver" gives a big kick now and then to keep the momentum going. I know nothing about sledding, so my terminology is probably not correct. Lol. I love Yonjuoro's videos, because it gives me the opportunity to see these beautiful dogs in action.

Thanks JayGee :) :)

This response is for interested people :)

Yes we scoot (kick) to help them along. There is very little resistance when inertia is broken - he can go from 0-30km in around 3 seconds with no scoots :-) We scoot to help through soft terrain and slight gradients. I have to ride the brakes if we go on a downward gradient. Vets and race marshals supervise all races and health of the dogs is the most important aspect, not winning.

He looked awesome, he was going great guns :thumbsup:Thanks for the explanation on race etiquette on overtaking, I had no idea! It does look like fun!

Thanks Kavik much appreciated :)

It looks a bit cruel to me. A dog dragging you in a race for what ?
FFS

Succinct :thumbsup:

Lol @ a husky doing something it didn't want to ???? Now that would be amazing....!!

:rofl: Very true :laugh:

Poor Ronin... having a such a bad time

post-49154-0-50369600-1441025571_thumb.jpg

post-49154-0-94577500-1441025636_thumb.jpg

2.4 km would be nothing to a horse pulling a kick bike and would more then likely get there much faster then the dogs :laugh:

A mule on the other hand would probably not even walk past the start line because we all know how much they prefer to do what they want when they want to.

Nice racing Ronin, love the burst of speed when the dane went past.

--Lhok