It Happened Again :o(

Guest Roka

I should know better and just avoid our local park period but I braved going out for a walk again today. big mistake. Thankfully I only took one of my dogs with me so that I could pick him up in the event that something like this happened.

Many of the "Locals" take their dogs to the park off lead. Not all however, and I have noticed that a lot of the new residents do keep their dogs on lead and strangely enough it's the small dog owners that keep their dogs on lead the most.

Usually when an off lead dog runs up to me and my dogs it's large dogs and I hate to say it but more often then not they are accompanied by men. :o(

As I was walking down the road I did not notice the dog until I saw something dart through a hole in the fence and in a split second it was on top of me and my dog. I had quickly picked my dog up (he was wearing a harness) and held him in my arms as the larger dog jumped up and down all over us whilst my dog was barking and squirming madly. I kept screaming "Go Home!" but the dog didn't listen. Then his owner finally came out and yelled "He won't hurt you!". Hmmm.... this has happened only too many times before.

Why do people say this looking at it only from their perspective? Don't they realise that even if their dog is the loveliest, friendliest canine on the planet MY DOGS ENERGY LEVEL can trigger a fight?

I have a small dog under 10kgs. A larger (working dog) like a Kelpie could seriously injure him or kill him with just a few shakes. Why don't people realise this? It's nothing personal. It's just dogs being dogs. However, I have gotten the “Don't worry he won't hurt you!” reply as somebody's off lead dog has run up to me and my dog many times when trying to go for a walk in my local park.

The dog that did this today is a Kelpie and is usually tied up besides his owner's trailer. (she keeps him tied up next to a small dog house most of the time). The owner runs the local caravan park and has her trailer which she seems to live in full time parked right at the entrance to the park. The park does have some fencing but it is not completely enclosed and as I described above the dog ran though a sizeable hole which was in the fence right next to the road where I was walking my dog.

Eventually she finally noticed due to my yelling “Go Home!” that her dog was out on the road and called him back again. My dog eventually settled down and we finished our walk without any more problems but I have gotten to the point where I HATE going to my local park.

My dog is a highly energetic JRT x Mini Foxy and I need to walk him otherwise he goes nuts and drives me crazy not to mention that I need the exercise as well. However, I'm wishing I had just gotten an indoor dog like a Chihuahua which doesn't require any walking because I hate going out for walks now (not to mention that I love Chis! :o).

I love my dog and so have to deal with this situation but it is very, very, VERY ANNOYING.

P.S. Aren't there leash laws in NSW especially in Public Parks?!

I should know better and just avoid our local park period but I braved going out for a walk again today. big mistake. Thankfully I only took one of my dogs with me so that I could pick him up in the event that something like this happened.

Many of the "Locals" take their dogs to the park off lead. Not all however, and I have noticed that a lot of the new residents do keep their dogs on lead and strangely enough it's the small dog owners that keep their dogs on lead the most.

Usually when an off lead dog runs up to me and my dogs it's large dogs and I hate to say it but more often then not they are accompanied by men. :o(

As I was walking down the road I did not notice the dog until I saw something dart through a hole in the fence and in a split second it was on top of me and my dog. I had quickly picked my dog up (he was wearing a harness) and held him in my arms as the larger dog jumped up and down all over us whilst my dog was barking and squirming madly. I kept screaming "Go Home!" but the dog didn't listen. Then his owner finally came out and yelled "He won't hurt you!". Hmmm.... this has happened only too many times before.

Why do people say this looking at it only from their perspective? Don't they realise that even if their dog is the loveliest, friendliest canine on the planet MY DOGS ENERGY LEVEL can trigger a fight?

I have a small dog under 10kgs. A larger (working dog) like a Kelpie could seriously injure him or kill him with just a few shakes. Why don't people realise this? It's nothing personal. It's just dogs being dogs. However, I have gotten the “Don't worry he won't hurt you!” reply as somebody's off lead dog has run up to me and my dog many times when trying to go for a walk in my local park.

The dog that did this today is a Kelpie and is usually tied up besides his owner's trailer. (she keeps him tied up next to a small dog house most of the time). The owner runs the local caravan park and has her trailer which she seems to live in full time parked right at the entrance to the park. The park does have some fencing but it is not completely enclosed and as I described above the dog ran though a sizeable hole which was in the fence right next to the road where I was walking my dog.

Eventually she finally noticed due to my yelling “Go Home!” that her dog was out on the road and called him back again. My dog eventually settled down and we finished our walk without any more problems but I have gotten to the point where I HATE going to my local park.

My dog is a highly energetic JRT x Mini Foxy and I need to walk him otherwise he goes nuts and drives me crazy not to mention that I need the exercise as well. However, I'm wishing I had just gotten an indoor dog like a Chihuahua which doesn't require any walking because I hate going out for walks now (not to mention that I love Chis! :o).

I love my dog and so have to deal with this situation but it is very, very, VERY ANNOYING.

P.S. Aren't there leash laws in NSW especially in Public Parks?!

Since when don't Chihuaha's need to be walked?

I realise that they need exercise like any dog however, from what I've read they can get as much exercise as they need just running around the house or back yard.

I didn't literally mean that they didn't need any exercise.

I realise that they need exercise like any dog however, from what I've read they can get as much exercise as they need just running around the house or back yard.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with your local park. I don't use local parks either not do I walk around my local neighbourhood any more. I drive my dog to large, unfenced parks where people would lose their dogs if they let them off leash without having good verbal control over them. It sucks that people don't take proper responsibility for their dogs and don't seem to understand the problems that can be caused by their dog rushing another one.

I am beginning to hate off lead dogs too :( I can't even walk down the street next to a highway (!!!!!) without off lead dogs running around and don't get me started on ON LEAD parks. I just want to take my dog for a walk!

It doesn't matter if their dog is friendly, MY dog doesn't know that because all she sees is a fast moving object heading straight at her! shes not getting any time to realise it's a friendly dog before they're in her face and she's terrified. And it's quite rude of the owners to let their dog zip around like that.

So far I take my dog to an abandoned lot for long lead games, the park we do our obedience at (had our issues with off lead dogs there too but in that case I've got like 6 dog trainers who can hop in and help as we walk very fast towards them so they grab the trouble maker). I also walk her way late at night when hopefully the irresponsible ones are done hogging the streets. And so many mental games.

I'm flat out avoiding "on lead" parks now because no one obeys it :/ lovely creek near us - except for all the off lead terriers!

I'm hoping to start going to aquapaws once a month. It's quite a drive but they said I can lock one of their dog parks up for just us. I'm going to print a sign for the gate so we can hopefully have a good romp without an uncontrolled dog coming up and a sign will let ppl know why. And lock it. But ppl are stupid so i think a sign is necessary.

And I'll keep driving further and further out looking for quiet places for the dog to be a dog.

But it is seriously disheartening how many people are so careless about their dogs and disobey the leash rules.

/end frustrated rant

Edited by Thistle the dog

I'm hoping to start going to aquapaws once a month. It's quite a drive but they said I can lock one of their dog parks up for just us. I'm going to print a sign for the gate so we can hopefully have a good romp without an uncontrolled dog coming up and a sign will let ppl know why. And lock it. But ppl are stupid so i think a sign is necessary.

I go to Aquapaws weekly. They do have an off leash fenced in section but it's not very big. People there have common sense and know not to go in with their dog if it is in use so I don't think you need a sign. Again it's small so if someone does look like they want to come in really all you have to do is say No... it literally is the size of a small suburban backyard.

Maybe if you ask the owner she will let you run your dog in one of the bigger horse paddocks but the fencing is not the same as the off leash yard.

Edit : Have you tried Kepala?? Their facilities would suit your needs for a secure off leash romp.

Edited by silentchild

It's the same where I live, Roka, except it doesn't seem to matter what the size of the dogs are - around here they range from Chihuahuas to Great Danes (yep - my 10 year old 20kg mixed breed who isn't normally worried about off leash dogs, nearly lost her dinner when this thing came boundign after her, with the owner calling out to the dog, which was blatantly ignoring her). When these little dogs come running up to my young GSD x Malinois, he lunges, barks and carries on, making it quite difficult for me. I often get eye rolling from owners of said off leash dogs, because they think I'm over reacting when I ask them to put their dog on a leash. I'm doing a lot of training with my dog to work on his reactivity (he's also reactive to other dogs on leash, but nowhere near as badly as off leash dogs), but this is really hard when it doesn't seem to matter where I go or what time I go - there is always a risk that we'll run into an off leash dog.

I'm in Brisbane and have phoned Brisbane City Council countless times. During a phone consult with Steve from K9 Pro (about my dog's reactivity), he suggested I write to BCC instead of phone, so that there is a paper trail. I've done this twice now, with zero response. They obviously don't care. As much as I'm worried for my dog, I also worry for my children when we're out and about, because I honestly don't trust people who don't restrain their dogs - which I assume is because teaching their dog to walk nicely on leash is just too hard - to be able to call their dog back.

Anyway, I know my post doesn't offer you any consolation, but at least I take some comfort in knowing I'm not the only person driven nuts by off leash dogs.

Cheers,

Gen Y

Guest Clover

Oh Roka I feel your pain :(. It is beyond a joke now how many people have no control over their dogs.

A couple of weeks back I built up the courage to go for a walk to our old park, big big mistake. I didn't see the GSD that had pulled away from its owner before it was on top of my dog aggressive BC. I may have flipped out at the owner who struggled to retrieve his dog and get some control :(. I give up.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with your local park. I don't use local parks either not do I walk around my local neighbourhood any more. I drive my dog to large, unfenced parks where people would lose their dogs if they let them off leash without having good verbal control over them. It sucks that people don't take proper responsibility for their dogs and don't seem to understand the problems that can be caused by their dog rushing another one.

They still need the mental stimulation that comes with going for a walk. It's not just about physically walking around.

Yes. Kept within four walls day in and day out would make me go stir crazy. It's nice to get out and see the world.

I go to Aquapaws weekly. They do have an off leash fenced in section but it's not very big. People there have common sense and know not to go in with their dog if it is in use so I don't think you need a sign. Again it's small so if someone does look like they want to come in really all you have to do is say No... it literally is the size of a small suburban backyard.

Maybe if you ask the owner she will let you run your dog in one of the bigger horse paddocks but the fencing is not the same as the off leash yard.

Edit : Have you tried Kepala?? Their facilities would suit your needs for a secure off leash romp.

Hmm. Still, even if it's small it'd be nice to introduce her to new locations and people. Our first visit will be 2nd week September :D

I've not heard of kepala! But it looks like they only do pet boarding? Which would probably set her way back - strangers are scarier than dogs and if I'm not there she'll shut down :(

Or do you reckon if I called up and asked they'd let us have a quick romp on our own? I don't mind paying, I'd just like to let her go off lead sometime and ...yknow run around without worry.

Do they have a strong 'give dogs space' Policy? Sorry I'm on mobile so the site is hard to navigate XD

*cautiously excited thank you!*

Edited by Thistle the dog

Hmm. Still, even if it's small it'd be nice to introduce her to new locations and people. Our first visit will be 2nd week September :D

I've not heard of kepala! But it looks like they only do pet boarding? Which would probably set her way back - strangers are scarier than dogs and if I'm not there she'll shut down :(

Or do you reckon if I called up and asked they'd let us have a quick romp on our own? I don't mind paying, I'd just like to let her go off lead sometime and ...yknow run around without worry.

Do they have a strong 'give dogs space' Policy? Sorry I'm on mobile so the site is hard to navigate XD

Kepala isn't just a boarding facility they have a bunch of large grass runs, a sand run, agility course and an outdoor pool which you can book out to use whenever you want. You get the run to yourself and dogs are always onlead if not in a run, the only time you might bump into a dog is on the way to and from the car but even then I think a lot of reactive dog owners use the facility so they would give you space.

On the note of offlead dogs in onlead areas.... I generally don't mind if the dog has good recall and isn't approaching us but for some reason most of the people who disobey leash laws also seem to have little control over there dogs...

Edited by Terri S.

Here are the details for Kepala's country club

http://www.kepala.com.au/country_club

They have 2 large grass runs, an agility area, a sand run, an indoor pool and outdoor pool. all of which you can hire out for as long as you need them (depending on other bookings)

You can run into other dogs between runs, all are on lead though and most people that use the country club are pretty dog savy so they would take notice of a harness that said your dogs needs space

Woah thank you Leah and Terri and silentchild!

I'm overjoyed, it's only 30 min up the road from me and I had no idea it was there! At all! It didn't show up when I googled dog parks so I had no idea!

I was just on the phone with a lovely lady interrogating them and getting a rundown on the situation between runs, prices (wow so affordable! I mean I'll have to cut back on something else if it's going to be regular but pretty cheap!), how they accommodate the scared ones (i.e. for indoor pool assessment we may need extra time for Thistle to check out the lady assessing her before feeling comfortable to swim...but sometimes she does just LIKE a person so that might happen!)

But they got really busy just as I was about to book us in for one of the runs so they're going to call me back (the grass ones are currently closed for re-seeding and the outdoor pool are closed until mid September for winter)

But I'm hoping to go next week and if it goes well I might make this a fortnightly or weekly thing! I'm really really overjoyed about this place, thank you guys so much! It means a lot to me to have a place where we can just go to relax. Thank you!

I have been to Kepala, it is terrific!

We took our two Rotts there a little while ago, they had a ball!

Facilities are great, people are friendly and your dog should have a wonderful time, it's like a little oasis in the middle of nothing!

The pools are great, especially the outdoor one, especially on a warm day!

Wonderful time for everyone!

I understand and agree totally! :)

They still need the mental stimulation that comes with going for a walk. It's not just about physically walking around.

I am a "mature age" lady and my husband is now a pensioner. We live in a small country town and the other closest dog parks are 40kms away. I can't afford to drive that distance very often so have to make due with what's at home.

Usually the park is not that busy and there are actually not that many people who actually walk their dogs but the lady and Kelpie at the caravan park are ALWAYS THERE. :( I've also gotten used to going on "Off days" as in during the week avoiding weekends, on overcast cloudy rainy days, avoid holidays and special events, etc... Also walking next to the busy road I seem to run into far fewer off lead dogs. I've also sused out a route where I think there are not too many dogs and which avoids the park LOL! :rofl:

There are a lot of drawbacks to living in the country and a lack of recreational things to do is one of them. WHAT IS AQUAPAWS?! It sounds like so much FUN!!! :o)