Adelaide Euro Dog Sport Club

Nekhbet

What do you think of their dogs?

(sorry off topic!)

Dutch KNPV bred dogs are crossbreeds consisting mostly of Dutch Shepherd, Malinois, GSD and sometimes guardian breeds used on outcrosses then bred back into herding breeds, so the Chris Jones Dutch Shepherds can't be ANKC registered. Pure bred Dutch Shepherds generally have more drive than a working line GSD but less than a Malinois. Often breeders of cross breed Dutch Shepherds sell them as Malinois when the pups are fawn with black muzzle and the coloured one's in the litter sold as Dutch Shepherds and are usually bigger dogs than pure breed Malinois standards. Some are great working dogs if you don't need typical kennel club registration.

FCI (registered) dogs are often trained in KNPV, if you'd like to see information on the dogs used just google Bloedlijnen.nl.

Site is only in Dutch language but just click on the Dekreuen tab for a list of stud dogs and their pedigrees.

Nekhbet

(sorry off topic!)

Dutch KNPV bred dogs are crossbreeds consisting mostly of Dutch Shepherd, Malinois, GSD and sometimes guardian breeds used on outcrosses then bred back into herding breeds, so the Chris Jones Dutch Shepherds can't be ANKC registered. Pure bred Dutch Shepherds generally have more drive than a working line GSD but less than a Malinois. Often breeders of cross breed Dutch Shepherds sell them as Malinois when the pups are fawn with black muzzle and the coloured one's in the litter sold as Dutch Shepherds and are usually bigger dogs than pure breed Malinois standards. Some are great working dogs if you don't need typical kennel club registration.

They can be ANKC registered...

http://ankc.org.au/Breed/Detail/86

Nekhbet

(sorry off topic!)

They can be ANKC registered...

http://ankc.org.au/Breed/Detail/86

Only if they have the right registration. KNPV dogs are not FCI/kennel club registered and so would not be able to be registered with ANKC

Only if they have the right registration. KNPV dogs are not FCI/kennel club registered and so would not be able to be registered with ANKC

Pure breed Dutch Shepherds can be ANKC registered if their paperwork is ANKC compliant and a lot of dogs competing in KNPV sport are FCI registered dogs, but the Dutch crossbreeds are they typically call KNPV bred Malinois and Dutch Shepherds are not. The two FCI Dutch Shepherds I have come across were chronic yappy barkers in their back yards, not sure if it's a breed characteristic, but the neighbours I doubt would enjoy this pair much in suburbia?

Edited by Amax-1

Nekhbet

I have not had a lot to do with dutchies to be honest, I was thinking about one but I do not see one I like so far so I'm sticking to my Malinois. If you're after an IPO dog I think delving into the non FCI gene pool is not a good idea considering their primary aim is not sport, but to do the KNPV then on to deployment. It's a lot more comprehensive then IPO could be as it's about the end product not the breed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZATNWf5emk

Kampftrieb do not produce ANKC dogs but they do not profess to. Frankly the importance of it is a little redundant and limiting yourself just to the ANKC registered gene pool here in Australia is genetic suicide for the Malinois as it's full of the same few dogs. It's why my pockets will be lighter soon...

The KNPV has nothing to do with the FCI. A dog can do KNPV with our without FCI registration, it's a title. I have ANKC registered Malinois and all the dogs behind them are KNPV titled because I won't use IPO titled dogs, chalk and cheese for what I want - it's akin to mixing a WL GSD with a straight show line as far as I am concerned. AMAX-1 is right, in a lot of european countries function rules - if it's brindle it's a dutchie, if it's not it's a Malinois - because performance and the ability to pass on those key genes is important for maintaining a strong pool of working dogs. It's where the rumours of KNPV malinois being 'dodgy' and 'not real' came from here in Australia, a few people didn't realise what the situation was and a few others exploited it. The 'black Malinois' thing too shits me. Call a spade a spade, it is from the mixed gene pool, nothing more, nothing less.

Good to know that huski! I saw that the dog you guys were using was KNVP titled :) I thought that many dogs used for KNVP were not pedigree dogs, and not ANKC registrable. Good to know that some are :)

They are all probably too big for what I am looking for, but I still like the Mals and Dutchies :laugh:

I suppose you have to train the dogs not to go for that gap between the bite suit and the shoe - ie the bit that cattle dogs traditionally go for

Bites to a suit especially in KNPV have specific target area for the safety of the dog and for operational viability. An ankle bite is totally useless and risks the decoy falling on the dog crushing it. There is also 'better' angles in order for the dog to achieve full grip and maintain it with clear airways.

Edited by Nekhbet

I have seen some Groenendael females competing in agility that were about the same size as Kaos (he is 57cm and around 18/19 kg) but the working Malinois I have looked at were all much bigger than that, and going by websites the Dutchies too.

yeah way too big for what I want :)

Wonder why there is such a big difference then with Grenendaels? It isn't just one, I think I have seen at least 4 bitches that are around that size. And that is just at agility competitions in Sydney.

Edited by Kavik