Getting Rid Of Urine Smell On Pavers/concrete

Animal House

Okay, I have a unit with a very small paved courtyard (tiny) and have tried a pet loo but the dogs (10 and 16) won't use it, they just pee on the pavers. I tried a piece of fake grass on top of the pavers but that just stank after a month (even with regular washing, so I ditched it)

Anyway, I've been using a bucket of water each time they pee to dilute the urine and it runs down into a drain (i'ts on a slight slope)

I've been using a household disinfectant to scrub the whole area twice a week with a stiff broom as well, which has worked so far.

BUT, now the weather is warming up and I can smell pee. :laugh:

What do people use on their concrete/pavers if they have dog runs to get rid of the smell? My old boy pees a lot lately, and I can't take him for a walk 10 times a day for him to pee down the street.

Obviously people with dog runs and boarding kennels have to use something? Tell me your secret. I don't wanna smell pee anymore, and after yesterdays sunshine, :eek: geezus.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD.....Pressure spray! You just reminded me :) I loved having a pressure spray.

I'm on ebay now looking for an Aussie seller, I need to replace the Hoselink (spelling?) one that completely snapped off. Anyone have suggestions?

I tested Mum's karcher and while they are very good, they are also too bulky and a pain in the behind. Just needing a pressure nozzle that attaches to a normal hose. Don't worry, just bought one, it looks ok so we'll see. :)

BTW on-topic lol, I use 'Kennel Clean' bubblegum. And a bit of nilodor for extra spots that are a must-pee place. Like the BBQ wheels. :laugh:

Edited by Powerlegs

I rang my local horse feed place, which is a 3 minute drive and they have some in stock. That;'s where I'll be headed on Thursday. :thumbsup:

That's great! Fruity is the one I've been using and smells quite nice and this time they got Lavender in but I haven't opened it yet as I only just picked it up.

Let me know which one you think smells better, i think i might get some :D

ETA: found it online here for $20.90

http://ipetstore.com.au/clean-up-odour-control/1838-equinade-heavy-duty-disinfectant-lavender-5l-9340890000126.html

Edited by denali

I like the fido's hydrobath and kennel cleaner. Its so minty and nice smelling.

Its about $33 for 5L, some places at much as $62 (eek1.gif) so shop around.

ETA: Stops the pee smell for us humans, don't know whether the dogs can still smell it or not :shrug:

I think not, but who knows!

Edited by denali

Idiot Dog has to toilet in a concrete and pavers area and I've found regular bleach to be the best way to keep it smelling decent. I use just the cheap Coles brand stuff and put it down undiluted, leave it 10 minutes and then hose it off. The whole area also gets washed with the Karcher once or twice a year.

Only problem with using bleach is that you need to be wearing old clothes when hosing it off or splashing it around because it will obviously bleach things. Otherwise, it does the job very well and the bleach smell is completely gone within a few hours.

Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions, gotta love DOL for great info. :D

I'll grab the one Snook recommended as it's just down the road from me, but if it doesn't get rid of the smell, then I've got more suggestions to try out. It'd be much easier if they used the pet loo I bought them, but no. Difficult bluddy dogs. :laugh: