When Is It Time For An Old Friend

Waggy

I have a sweet 17 year old girl who is quite deaf and also her sight is fading. She is still getting herself around the yard with I suspect the help of the other dogs, is eating well and still no accidents at night. We give her anti inflammatory tablets so she has no pain from what we can tell. What bothers me is she has lost her spark and sometimes especially at night can appear a little disorientated. I obviously love her and don't want to pull the plug unless her quality of life is poor. But how do I know? I am interested in others opinion on this topic.

It's a hard question, and I think it's an individual thing. Quality of life, how you feel she is in general, she is eating which is a good thing, sometimes you know because the life has gone from their eyes, it's a difficult thing to describe, and every dog is different. Such a hard decision to make isn't it? Has your vet given an indication on how she is health wise?

I'm having that same dilemma with my old boy, who is 16, almost 17. He's mostly deaf, eats well to the point of being food obsessed, but iI can't keep any weight on him at all, he is getting bony all over, especially his head, I think the vet said that is just old age.

And his back legs go out from under him at times, hes a bit wobbly, and he can't hold his bladder for very long. And now occasionally he just pees wherever he is standing, I don't know if that's bladder incontinence or a form of dementia. He can't be left alone, or he gets a bit frantic, he has to be with you all the time, which is really hard, he even has to come into the bathroom when I shower. But there are other times when he quite happily trots along to get his food and wags his tail. It's so hard. :(

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post, I just needed to tell my story as well.

It's hard to know isn't it :(

I know with our wee Chihuahua x, she got to 17 and although she had no physical illness as such, started walking into rooms occasionally and just staring at the wall, seeming generally disorientated and just not her usual happy, waggy self. That was when we called it time.

All the best in making the decision, it isn't an easy one, but I know I'd rather do it a day too early than a day too late.

Her eyesight may be the reason she's a little disoriented at night... my old girl was funny at night due to poor night vision... she was also selectively deaf. Couldn't hear me telling her to move right beside her, but could hear the lid opening on the food storage bucket from the other end of the house... lol!

I suppose I was "lucky" with my girl, it all happened quite suddenly when one night she just collapsed and couldn't stand up any more... she left no doubt that it was her time. Up until the final couple of hours all was fine...

She collapsed at 11pm, and was given her wings at 12 midnight... it had to be a Sunday night, didn't it?

T.

It is very difficult and a question I have often struggled with but for the oldies they can still have quality of life even if they don’t have the same spark they used to. I have a number of oldies who have various different issues and the number one question I always ask myself is if I was that dog would I still want to be here. Sleeping more is fine as long as they are still fit enough to enjoy life when they want to. Being vison or hearing impaired is fine as long as they aren’t frightened and upset.

I do know how difficult it is. I am never sure, I never just know and agonise over every decision both before and after the event.

Thanks for all your replies. Of course today she is having an extra good day, walking around the yard more and even having a little bark with her son. But I know some not so good days will come. I guess we have decided as there is no pain, she is eating and drinking and getting around on her own steam and not messing at night that she is not ready to leave us yet. But not looking forward to making that final decision in the future. We will have to appreciate the time she has left but will not let her suffer. Thanks again.

Edited by Waggy

It's nice when they have good days Waggy, and I think the sun (when it finally gets here) helps them a bit as well, warms up their old bones and gives them a bit of a spring in their step.

Yes I think you are right there. Good weather makes us all feel better. :)

• 4 months later...

One of the things I did to confirm and finally convince myself that it was time for Mac was to keep a simple diary on the calendar - a tick for a good day, a tick and a cross for a mixed day and a cross for a bad day. It quickly became obvious by the number iof crosses, his collapsing back end and that he couldn't toilet by himself consistently that it was time.

• 3 months later...

One of the things I did to confirm and finally convince myself that it was time for Mac was to keep a simple diary on the calendar - a tick for a good day, a tick and a cross for a mixed day and a cross for a bad day. It quickly became obvious by the number iof crosses, his collapsing back end and that he couldn't toilet by himself consistently that it was time.

I know this is quite an old thread but what a great idea Westiemum!

1461898413[/url]' post='6808684']
1461840596[/url]' post='6808510']

Thanks swain - I'm into simple solutions which help me make difficult decisions.smile.gif

Simple is the best!! We make things way too complicated...sometimes. ...well... most of the time!!!!

Yep I work for a company like that - if there's a way to complicate something that's what they do x 10!!