Hobbes's Splenectomy

ricey

Hi all,

After losing Lulu (our little fluffy hyena/hell hound terrier) only 3 months ago, we thought that it was Hobbes turn to die.

Hobbes is our gentle, 14 year old pit bull terrier type dog (possibly 15 year old APBT). I had thought that he was just slowing down and showing a bit of old dog doggy dementia, and that he was just developing a bit of an old dog belly/gut. But I thought I'd get my vet to check him over again. I'd taken him in for the full 'senior dog' exam and tests 4 months ago, and everything was fine apart from a mild anaemia. Nothing too much to worry about, we were reassured. Hobbes is after all 14 or possibly 15 years old.

Turns out the 'mild anaemia' was actually a sign of the huge splenic mass he was developing and this needed to be removed as soon as possible. It was removed today; I am happy to say that Hobbes survived the operation (all vital signs 100% according to the vet surgeon) and he will be with us for some time (how much time depends on the his life expectancy at the age of 14/15, and whether the splenic mass is malignant or not). We get the pathology results in 5 days time.

Were we crazy to spend the money we did on Hobbes, to give him a chance at another 6 to 12 months life at best (and possibly only 1 or 2 months if the splenic mass turns out to be a hemangiosarcoma?)

Nope, we love our dogs. Best case scenario is that the mild doggy dementia that Hobbes had been exhibiting for the last few months will go away now that his spleen has been removed, and Hobbes will die of old age sometime in the next 6 to 18 months. Worst case is that the splenic mass was a hemangiosarcoma and he's got around 2 months before we'd need to euthanize him. If we'd done nothing, we'd have had to euthanize next week due to the pressure on his lungs and other organs.

I will be gutted if Hobbes's has a hemangiosarcoma, but I'd prefer that to having had him euthanized because that was the best thing from a economic viewpoint.

ricey

Good luck Hobbes. Wish you a speedy recovery! And many more adventures ahead!!!!

I too just had to make the decision on massive surgery for my 14 year old Staff and I don't regret it for a minute. Just to see him now confirms I made the best decision for him.

Edited by Ci

Thanks for all the lovely replies; I really appreciated them.

Hobbes' results are back and everything is fine. No malignancy, just heaps of benign haematomas and scar tissue. Hobbes has a new lease of life; he is prancing about like a young pup again.

I had thought that he was just getting old quickly over the last 3 months and that his time was near. But now, 10 days after his surgery he is back to how he was before his decline started.

Cheers,

ricey

Thanks for all the lovely replies; I really appreciated them.

Hobbes' results are back and everything is fine. No malignancy, just heaps of benign haematomas and scar tissue. Hobbes has a new lease of life; he is prancing about like a young pup again.

I had thought that he was just getting old quickly over the last 3 months and that his time was near. But now, 10 days after his surgery he is back to how he was before his decline started.

Cheers,

ricey

:thumbsup: What a great update! :happydance:

• 2 months later...

Hobbes went majorly downhill about 4 weeks ago; lethargic, depressed, just lay on the floor.

Took him into my vet, who said "shit, what's happened?"

Blood tests diagnosed ITB (immune thrombocytopenia); basically, Hobbes immune system had decided that his platelets were evil invaders that needed to be destroyed. So, no clotting factor, platelet count was under 10 (its supposed to be 175 to 450).

Treatment was prednisolone; after 1 week, platelet count was 50, and after 3 weeks platelet count was 350.

So, the prednisolone dose is being reduced and it looks like Hobbes is cured again.

As my vet said, "Hobbes keeps getting knocked to the canvas, but he keeps getting up and dusting himself off".

Fingers crossed.

ricey

Well done Hobbes - we've known this pit bull so long he is part of the family - didn't know he was such a tough old fellow though. Marvellous to hear he has done so well. He's lucky to have a such a great owner too :)

Best wishes Hobbes - just keep on keeping on.