How Close Is Too Close...

aliwake

We bought a new bag of dog food on 15 August. I just got around to opening it, and noticed the kibble was an older shape, so I checked the date. The bag expires on 14 October this year...

It's a 12kg bag that would normally last us 6 weeks. It also says exp, not best before.

I guess we'll be able to use most of it before it expires, and to be honest, will probably not panic too much about going a week or two over, but do you think it's acceptable to be selling super premium food so close to expiry? It's not cheap!

Where i buy mine will sell them cheaper when short dated :)

Perhaps worth telling your supplier that it is very close to the date. They may not have realised :shrug:

ETA: i would be exchanging it myself as i don't feed much dry food and it sits for a long time before being eaten. But if you can use most of it, i don't see the harm in that.

Edited by denali

It was on sale from a large chain store, however it was a general '20% off premium foods' sale, not a 'marked down due to near expiry' sale. Good chance they just didn't realise, but not sure whether to bother telling them?

I'll definitely be checking dates in future - it never really occurred to me before now!

I always buy close to use by or past use by food. It's very rare for me to get food that has a date left on it.

I'll take it if you don't want to use it! Lol

Hit send too soon.

We mark close to useby food down but there is always a chance we miss a bag here or there

Edited by Teebs

From experience, I know this has happened in our store. Usually ends up with staff dogs :laugh: my girls are lucky to get in date stuff now, we're much better at checking after writing off way too many bags. There is one US brand that is terrible for this.

I'd be letting the store know, if you'd known you wouldn't have bought it etc, it might encourage them to check their stock rotation schedule.

But I wouldn't be worried about feeding it, unless there was an obvious problem (smell, palatability, mould).

You don't need to be concerned and stores will only mark down in the last month or so. 3 months is heaps especially if it a BBD that is only 12 months after the date of manufacture. So perfectly acceptable to sell it as there is nothing wrong with it.

Best before dates are the date to which the manufacturer guarantees that the nutritional composition of the food remains as stated on the nutritional analysis panel. Reality is that it lasts well beyond this but of course nutritional quality will degrade but it is still safe to feed/ eat.

Edited by Danois

As I understand the chemistry involved, most of the stuff in dry food can store for long periods IF kept dry . . . especially if kept cool and dry. Fats will be the first to go. I wouldn't buy a fat-rich product that was near expiry date, especially if it has been stored over summer in a non air-conditioned environment. I have read, from relatively mainstream science sources, that degraded fats have some worrisome properties.

The other possible problem is broken bags. Those nasty little moths that lay eggs can get in. I remember buying some out-of-date specials in WA and finding them full of little larvae that would make good treats for the chooks . . . but kinda disgusting as dog food.

Edited by sandgrubber