Supplementing With L-Lysine

PaddyForever

Hi-

Does anyone use a supplement called 'L-lysine' for their dogs, esp during pregnancy and in what dosage? I know it is in Hills Science Diet foods, but don't know if there is enough in that to be beneficial, or how much of a dose would be too much for a pregnant bitch, if also feeding Hills? I recently had a bitch go into prem labour 10 days early who had an emergency c-section, resulting in 5 dead puppies. No cause was given as to the early labour, but a fellow breeder has suggested that some early labours can be caused by the Canine Herpes virus and that L-lysine can help prevent the passing on of the infection to unborn pups. Don't get the wrong idea about my dogs, you all, but apparently the virus can be very hard to detect when dormant, and if it helps prevent prem labour, it is worth giving it a go...

I have read that half a 500mg tablet daily should be the dose for a toy breed...? I have Chihuahuas...TIA.

Can't help with dogs, but when I was getting a lot of cold sores earlier in my pregnancy, I asked my OB about taking it, and she said not to. She's quite liberal about other things and was happier for me to use Zovirax which the internet insists is a big no-no! She said L-lysine hadn't been studied at all during pregnancy.

I'm really sorry you lost your litter :(

Edited by aliwake

It's definitely used to keep the Herpes virus under control.

I have great success with it in cats. Works wonders.

But I don't know anything about using it in pregnancy.

You would need to ask a naturopath or holistic vet.

I use lysine for my cats and my only experience is using it for cats or cold sores. I'm pretty sure cat breeders avoid it during pregnancy. It will not stop the virus from being passed to the puppies anyway. All it does is reduce the virus's ability to replicate. So it reduces the number and severity of outbreaks.