Dog Parks - Yes Or No?

ellejaytee

72 members have voted

1. 1. Dog parks - yes or no?

• Yes
    • No

One more thought, having re-read the original post - a lot of dogs don't necessarily tolerate an excited, boisterous young dog, particularly a large one, and will tell them off if they don't like the behaviour so your dog, being young and excitable, may need some guidance from you on how to behave appropriately with other dogs before you let him free in a dog park.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be questioning WHY he got expelled from doggy day care a little more. It sounds, to me, like his behaviour was inappropriate and that's why they banned him. If this is so, you may have some behavioural issues to deal with before letting him loose in a dog park, which would be a similar situation to the doggy daycare.

Simply barking should surely not be a reason to ban a dog from daycare?

It wasn't where i worked. My goodness some of those dogs BARKED. Nonstop.

I love dogs but it drove me mad laugh.gif

I only use dog parks if I am unwell and not able to walk my dogs and then it is only at non-peak times. I like to keep my dogs safe and I think dog parks can be dangerous places because of some of the idiot owners who use them. I have even seen people drop their dogs off and drive away, returning to pick them up with a car laden with their shopping.

We don't use them due to some previous bad experiences with dogs trying to start fights. Maybe it's the areas we live in but most people in the parks here have no control over their dogs, nor do they care, and it's just stressful.

We go out of our area too. Too many dipsticks and snappy dogs in our suburb!

I use a park that allows dogs to be off leash but it isn't a designated dog park. Its a soccer ground that just allows dogs to be off leash. If you go down there during peak times there are stacks of dogs and we avoid that at all costs. But at other times there might only be one other dog there and we just stay at the other end away from them, but generally when we do go we have the place to ourselves. Only problem is that it isn't lit at night. So in winter if we stop there, we get there around 6am it is black. So we hang around the only lit area that is from the street lamp. Other than that, it would be nice if they provided some dog bags. We often get down there and there are a few bombs left laying around. Not sure how that goes over summer when they actually use the oval for soccer.....

We used to go to a dog park in Sydney when we lived there. We avoided peak time, but even then there would often be 6 other dogs there and because it is fenced, so people just sit down and let them run around all crazy. It was nice in the fact that it had lights, water bowl, seats and shelter from sun and rain. But the area was far too small and the dogs just went nuts, so we rarely went there.

I love taking our boy to the dog park, but I can see why some people don't. He is a goofball who loves everything and everyone. He can be a jerk to other dogs at the moment (he's starting to mount dogs a bit) but I've found other dogs are mostly good at warning him to get off and stop being a brat without hurting him. There are good parks and bad parks though. I find it weird how parks can get a 'reputation' but that's just how it is.

For us it's essential to take him, because it's hard to give him a good run without some other dogs there...he's not super into fetch, but if another dog is playing, he'll chase the dog! Or he'll herd the SWFs, although not so much anymore because he's too big for the small dog areas.

I avoid enclosed dog parks unless they're empty.

Much prefer the beach and open off leash areas, my whippet & westie x have reliable recall but my big doofus mutt not so much so I'm just selective where I let him off lead.

We generally go out in the middle of the day or when its cold and rainy, my dogs are great with other dogs but I don't really like being constantly accosted by other off lead dogs, especially when I'm now trying to keep an eye on three of my own and just want a leisurely stroll :laugh:

I'm in the pro dog park camp. I accept the risks but Momo the Tibetan Terrier has WAY to much fun to stop taking her now. The little girl can run and scrap with the biggest of dogs. I think it depends on your dog and finding the right dog park, at the right time of day. We somehow always end up going at Pug-O'clock which is pretty often - those chunky little guys and girls love a dog park and make it fun for all.

I love taking our boy to the dog park, but I can see why some people don't. He is a goofball who loves everything and everyone. He can be a jerk to other dogs at the moment (he's starting to mount dogs a bit) but I've found other dogs are mostly good at warning him to get off and stop being a brat without hurting him. There are good parks and bad parks though. I find it weird how parks can get a 'reputation' but that's just how it is.

For us it's essential to take him, because it's hard to give him a good run without some other dogs there...he's not super into fetch, but if another dog is playing, he'll chase the dog! Or he'll herd the SWFs, although not so much anymore because he's too big for the small dog areas.

I'm sorry but this is exactly the reason I don't go to dog parks.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having my dog humped, herded or harassed or chased.

perhaps you should try making games with YOU more fun than letting him run self reward on other dogs. It'll make your life easier in the long run.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having my dog humped, herded or harassed or chased.

perhaps you should try making games with YOU more fun than letting him run self reward on other dogs. It'll make your life easier in the long run.

I have to agree. I would shoo your dog off and move riiight away. Mine don't need someone else's little treasure humping them or displaying other nuisance behaviors and I don't want to push my happy-go-lucky dogs into not enjoying their trips to the park or worse, snapping at yours. :(

Yep. Me too. Deniki is targeted for humping quite often and just stands there and takes it. Even though you can tell it stresses him.

And i have developed a very low tolerance to it now. And if you didnt show any effort of stopping him the second your dog started, and then made an effort to keep him away from mine, your dog would be thrown off by me.

I would move away also, but so often owners just let their idiotic dogs follow. Had to leave a dog park the other day because of "Esme" the SWF (but black..) being a PITA. And it's not really fair that my 4 dogs couldnt enjoy the park because of the one crazy who's owner was not doing anything.

Edited by denali

Haha! Denali, Gus gets humped often and I know exactly what you mean about just standing there and taking it. He just looks so sad and waits for me to give him a hand. Being a big black 36kg dog you would think he could throw off whatever is attached to him, but nope, that is my job. Which I would rather than him taking matters into his own paws.

I'm that same crazy lady if ever it happens too, I've wanted to punt a loooot of fluffies.

Really why do we have to start on the SWFs or even the black ones? :)

Noone is starting on anything :confused:. The poster just spoke about an experience she had with a certain type of dog.

Out of interest, the most feral attack on our dogs was by a SWF, second worst a Husky and third, a Bulldog. Doesn't mean I have an issue with any of those those/breeds, just how it is.

Edited by Dame Aussie

Haha! Denali, Gus gets humped often and I know exactly what you mean about just standing there and taking it. He just looks so sad and waits for me to give him a hand. Being a big black 36kg dog you would think he could throw off whatever is attached to him, but nope, that is my job. Which I would rather than him taking matters into his own paws.

I'm that same crazy lady if ever it happens too, I've wanted to punt a loooot of fluffies.

Glad i am not alone :laugh:

Really why do we have to start on the SWFs or even the black ones? :)

Oh its not just the SWF's!

The past few offenders ahve been cockers, a labradoodle, and an amstaff x boxer according to the owner.. but this small black dog ruined my park trip two days ago, which is why i brought this one up, Not all SWF's are annoying, i amvery aware. But this one was!

Mum has two fluffies who I love but I can freely admit they need better boundaries than she gives them.

I think among the general public there can be a tendency toward letting little fluffers get away with more as they are expected to be less able to do damage BUT easier damaged, so more often swooped up out of situations the owners think they can't handle.

Combined with the fact they seem to go everywhere with owners under one arm and in some cases treated less like dogs and more like accessories or kids seems to give them balls of steel in some cases, we have met some terrors BUT it certainly isn't exclusive to SWF's, I might be a bit biased having had poor experiences but the smaller and fluffier a dog is the more wary I am of a negative interaction with dog or owner and the more attention I pay to the interaction with my dog and I guess the more I see any little negative thing.

Having said that we do know some awesome ones too! Mum's shih-tzu, while she can be a jerk she is one of the spunkiest, coolest dogs out. I would have her at ours in a heartbeat!

Or he'll herd the SWFs, although not so much anymore because he's too big for the small dog areas.

Had to leave a dog park the other day because of "Esme" the SWF (but black..) being a PITA. And it's not really fair that my 4 dogs couldnt enjoy the park because of the one crazy who's owner was not doing anything.

Edited by sarsaparilla