I Have To Face Up To It. My Dulcie Is Dying

Dudsmedog

My little fox terrier girl of 9 years was diagnosed with lymphoma 8 months ago and we took the Chemo road which was very successful. After the 20 week protocol she was well into remission and was the happiest I've ever seen her since a puppy which makes me wonder just how long it was lying dormant in her body. But about a month ago the lymph nodes in her neck swelled up and the vet confirmed it had returned. I've spent a lot of time on this forum reading about everyone's experiences and although I always end up sobbing my eyes out I feel strangely comforted knowing I'm not alone. I thought maybe she would defy the odds if I changed her diet and basically took on board so many of the tips I found on here but I have to face facts- my little girl is dying

So sorry it has come to this. We certainly understand what you are going through and are here for support through the difficult times to come. Focus on the good days and know when its time to let her go she has been most loved and adored member of your family, she asks for nothing more than that.

I'm sorry it's come to this but if you feel absolutely certain then please dont make her suffer.

I would never let her suffer Kirislin. When she gets to the stage that she no longer wants to eat and I can see in her eyes she is ready, then I'll let her go. I've let her off her lead on our walks for the last month so she can chase all the critters she wants to her little hearts content ( no chance of success don't worry)

Today she just trotted beside me for most of the time and her breathing is a bit erratic. But she's still eating me out of house and home so that's a good thing. She looks at me as though I'm a potential meal and I'm just waiting for the morning I wake up with an ankle chewed off

Best wishes Dudsmedog - I'm in the same boat. My old Westie Mac is still having many more good days than bad days and still eating well too. But when that all changes I'll know it's time and I'll let him go too - when that will be I have no idea. So treasure every moment, make many happy memories and we'll be here for you when the time comes.

Sorry to hear about Dulcie :cry: I have also been touched by the lymphoma curse. We sadly had to put down our mastiff x at the age of five. She had been through 2 cruciate ligament operations only to find out on her last xray that she had swollen lymph nodes. We decided not pursue chemo due to the previous operations and she was now terrified of the vets, she survived another six months on prednisone.

Our girl was eating and drinking fine at the end, we ended up putting her to sleep when she was regularly crying out in pain. We thought she may have been suffering cramp and limited her exercise but it didn't help, we tried a few different medications but they just ended up giving her some bad side effects. In the end we decided that we would give her her wings on our terms. And it has almost been a year now and I am glad that we didn't wait until it was so bad, she had a lovely last day, we took her for a long walk, she had a nice meaty bone, a steak, some maccas icecream, visited some friends and at the end of the day the vet came to our house and she went while she was surrounded by the ones who loved her at home.

So glad that you are spoiling Dulcie and letting her have some great times, we did the same. We used to say we were working through Bella's bucket list those last six months. :D After being on such a strict regime with her ligament operations, we really enjoyed those carefree times with her!

DDD the Prednisolone has made a dog with a previous obsession with food into a ravenous little monster. I hear sounds coming from the house while I am trying to sleep and even Dudley her half brother is too frightened to investigate. The first time I went out she was trying to drag the kitchen rubbish bin through the doggy door and when I asked her what she thought she was doing she just looked at me with her druggie eyes like I should maybe quietly go back to bed. I threw her a packet of chips and bolted the door.

She has cost me a fortune not just with the chemo but I had to pay out $2500 to the dentists last week because she ate my teeth. I wear a partial plate which I stupidly left on my side table and in the morning they were missing. I eventually found them mangled up in the back yard

So I've been without a few teeth for the last few months having to explain to everyone "the dog ate them"

She's a bitch but I still love her regardless

Sorry to hear about Dulcie :cry: I have also been touched by the lymphoma curse. We sadly had to put down our mastiff x at the age of five. She had been through 2 cruciate ligament operations only to find out on her last xray that she had swollen lymph nodes. We decided not pursue chemo due to the previous operations and she was now terrified of the vets, she survived another six months on prednisone.

Our girl was eating and drinking fine at the end, we ended up putting her to sleep when she was regularly crying out in pain. We thought she may have been suffering cramp and limited her exercise but it didn't help, we tried a few different medications but they just ended up giving her some bad side effects. In the end we decided that we would give her her wings on our terms. And it has almost been a year now and I am glad that we didn't wait until it was so bad, she had a lovely last day, we took her for a long walk, she had a nice meaty bone, a steak, some maccas icecream, visited some friends and at the end of the day the vet came to our house and she went while she was surrounded by the ones who loved her at home.

So glad that you are spoiling Dulcie and letting her have some great times, we did the same. We used to say we were working through Bella's bucket list those last six months. :D After being on such a strict regime with her ligament operations, we really enjoyed those carefree times with her!

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I feel happy knowing Dulcie has had a wonderfully exciting and full life and I have no regrets knowing I have done all I can

I wonder though does she know she is dying or does she just think she's just feeling poorly? I'm sure I read somewhere that animals don't really comprehend death what do you think?

• 1 month later...

My little Dulcie got her wings a couple of hours ago. It got to the stage where she couldn't walk more than about 50 metres and had very little appetite. So I made the decision to have the vet come around tonight and booked her in early this morning. I took her and Fudleu for a final walk through her favourite nature walk and told her to give me a sign she was ready to go. So what happens? She turned from a little jelly legged invalid into a mighty wallaby hunter and the two of the ran crazy. Then she came home and ate bbq chicken and ice cream. I was on the verge of vomiting all day in anticipation of what was to come and if I had made the decision too early. By the time the vet arrived I was in a terrible state and tried to get her to convince me I'd made the right decision. She said "if you can telle honestly that she is like this more often than not then we'll let it go for another month.

I couldn't tell her that so amongst my terrible outpouring of grief she went to sleep.

I held a dying friends hand a few years back talking up him and never shedding a tear

With my dog it's another thing altogether

Never an easy time.

Easing them from this life when they are still themselves is the last, greatest gift we can give them.

Hold her close and know you have done everything for her that was possible. A time will come when the tears stop and you can smile at the memories.