Ticks Are Back!

denali

Just a warning. Ticks are back here in Brisbane, so am assuming along the eastern coast also.

Found a paralysis tick on Deniki's head yesterday.

All was good, doesn't look like it had been there long, and he shows no ill effects at the moment (still keeping an eye on him though).

Once again, it was just in my yard or from our walk around the block. No recent bushwalks etc.

And remember no preventative is 100% effective and nothing beats a search!

Anyone ever do a yard spray?

I am considering it given i have had two dogs with paralysis ticks in 4 months from what i think is just my yard.

But don't know how effective it is.

IMG_7094.jpg

Edited by denali

I reckon if you think the ticks are in your yard, it would be worth considering spraying. You'd have to research the products though - for efficacy, residual effect, potential to damage plants / frogs / bees etc. Have a look at something like Prolong or Elector (available through farm supply / produce stores.

I once had a problem with staff at work getting infested with tiny bush ticks when they walked through the staff car park! It turned out that some roos were lying under the shade of the car park roof during the day - and shedding ticks. I sprayed the car park area (dirt + gravel) with Prolong. The ground was heaving with them and they were swarming up my legs to get away from the spray! :eek: Anyway, it killed them.

So also think about what critters may be carrying the ticks into your yard (bandicoots, possums??) and how to deter them.

I reckon if you think the ticks are in your yard, it would be worth considering spraying. You'd have to research the products though - for efficacy, residual effect, potential to damage plants / frogs / bees etc. Have a look at something like Prolong or Elector (available through farm supply / produce stores.

I once had a problem with staff at work getting infested with tiny bush ticks when they walked through the staff car park! It turned out that some roos were lying under the shade of the car park roof during the day - and shedding ticks. I sprayed the car park area (dirt + gravel) with Prolong. The ground was heaving with them and they were swarming up my legs to get away from the spray! :eek: Anyway, it killed them.

So also think about what critters may be carrying the ticks into your yard (bandicoots, possums??) and how to deter them.

Its hard to know if they are my yard or just the streets around!

But i think for a little extra piece of mind i will look into spraying and see if there is any suitable products.

We do have a lot of possums. Could easily be the issue.

I hope this years tick season is a lot less busy with the new oral products available. And at the same time I also hope people will still be vigilant checking their dogs.

No help with environmental agents to minimise risk but sending anti-tick vibes your way!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder pics Denali. Glad you got the tick quickly.

Did you use a tick remover (the ones which look like a tiny bent two pronged fork) or do you have another removal method?

I used a "Tick key" - you just slide them in and pull them out :)

They are very easy to use and so far has worked perfectly each time.

Did you use a tick remover (the ones which look like a tiny bent two pronged fork) or do you have another removal method?

I have always just pulled them out with my fingers...I don't muck around with tools..if I see a tick I just get it down as low as possible & pull it out.

I also use a tick key and it works brilliantly on dogs and humans! My friend had one in her neck and it was tiny - like a pin head. The tick key got that one out. I have several around the house and one in my hand bag.

I have always just pulled them out with my fingers...I don't muck around with tools..if I see a tick I just get it down as low as possible & pull it out.

I historically do just that too, but my nail on my index finger isn't long enough at the moment thanks to a gardening mishap, so couldn't get under it laugh.gif

Thankfully i had one of these in the first aid kit, because i couldn't find tweezers anywhere either!

If it's only a short trip maybe use Advantix (lasts 2 weeks). I use the Scalibor collars but they need to wear them for two weeks for full protection.

Thanks jem - they will be in the water a lot (Em's trialling) so is that still effective?

advantix claims it is water resistant so swimming, bathing and shampooing will be fine :shrug:

but i have never actually used a tick product.

But may have to this year, they are out in force, i now know 3 dogs personally who have had one in the last week eek1.gif

Edited by denali

If it's only a short trip maybe use Advantix (lasts 2 weeks). I use the Scalibor collars but they need to wear them for two weeks for full protection.

Thanks jem - they will be in the water a lot (Em's trialling) so is that still effective?

...in case the dog will be a lot in water I wouldn't use a collar; most of them use Deltamethrin / Permethrin (both high toxic to fish and aquatic life) and the collar will release these toxins also to the water when submerged.

...in case the dog will be a lot in water I wouldn't use a collar; most of them use Deltamethrin / Permethrin (both high toxic to fish and aquatic life) and the collar will release these toxins also to the water when submerged.

Anyone using Nexgard? I am heading to Taree area next week with my crew….saw Mita's vet suggestion to split the dose in half (think it was Bravecto?) and give it morning and night so if there is a reaction you know about it.

I am from zero paralysis tick country so I'm slightly terrified :o

I have been using Nexgard for about 10 months now...it is fabulous :)