What Is The Worst Thing About Your Chosen Breed?

Steph M

Shar pei - the health issues linked to the breed - entropian, shar pei fever, skin issues and allergies, vegemite ears. I've been incredibly lucky with my girl but I have friends who have pei with everything wrong. I feel for the dogs (who didn't ask to be bred) and for the owners.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the greyhounds, in my experience, it's not so much that they're fragile (mine have all seemed fairly sturdy), it's that they have no sense of self-preservation at all. When they're running, they seem to think they're immortal and magical and they can fly and leap through solid objects. In reality.. they crash into things, they trip over, they badly misjudge jumps or the size of their own bodies when ducking through small spaces. Zero spatial awareness but zero f***s given. We've never had an injury that required the vet but watching them goon around like maniacs has probably taken ten years off my life.

The whippet.. Probably the intelligence. She's heaps of fun to train because she's greedy and smart but if left alone for any longer than a few minutes, she'll go around the house, checking to see if we've forgotten to put away anything she likes to play with. She can climb like a cat, move around up on higher surfaces to get at things and because she always seems to have specific things in mind, she can be up, have grabbed the item and be hiding under the bed with it, within five minutes.

I lost a lot of stuff before finally realising that most surfaces had to be left pretty much bare of the sorts of things she liked, even if we aren't going out for long.

I adore Boxers but their slobber can be an issue for some. Mine is very tidy and dry-lipped at home but the moment there are treats or excitement (like visitors arriving) things can get a little foamy. I keep wipes handy for any unfortunate visitors who cop a side-swipe of jowl. :o

Bull Terrier, health issues, mainly skin.

And the fact you have to be on top of them all the time, almost to the point of being mean before they respect you!They such a strong pushy breed whose attitude is "whats in it for me!" :laugh:

Cocker Spaniels are extremely prone to anxiety.

They're smart but not too smart, biddable but not too biddable (um where's my treat first), and will take as much or as little exercise that you can throw at them (age depending).

But what they won't negotiate on is needing regular and quality human interaction, if that means following you into the toilet and jumping up on your lap because you haven't met today's quota then so be it

Both greys and iggies - its the no recall (I know some can do it, mine are useless). I hate that I can't take them to an off lead beach and let them romp around freely and trust them to come back

Iggies - its the total goddamn drama queen shenanigans and neediness rofl1.gif (oh and the total freak out melt downs if someone he doesn't know glances in his direction) Don't get me wrong, I love Oscar with everything that I have and can't even contemplate life without him - but lord he is high maintenance laugh.gif Having said that - his weird personality traits and need to be with me is what I love about him too. I love that he loves me so much laugh.gif

Border Terrier:

Their wire fur. If you don't roll their coat to keep it short it gets quite long and scruffy. You can brush it and two seconds later they look scruffy and unbrushed again. When I stroke my Frenchis fur its sooo smooth and soft and then I stroke Poppy's fur and its like stroking the head of a broom! In saying that she looks extra cute at her fluffiest so its a catch 22 lol.

I have a friend who thought he might get a Golden Retriever instead of another beagle because he thought the GR would somehow shed less or would seem like it shed less because the hair was longer than beagle hair. :hitself:

The beagle - if it ever got out and it was quite the climber... would zoom off on the first trail it found... recall? what? busy!

Border Collie - The high intensity obsessions they can form. If you are a good trainer, you can carefully raise and train your dog to be obsessed with the things you want eg working, tugging, fetching, agility and other sports and they turn out brilliant to work and to live with. If you mess up, they can get obsessed with inappropriate things that haunt you for life that you will need to manage or attempt to retrain forever, best be careful what you let your puppy decide is "fun" for the first year or 2. However it isn't usually the end of the world, they are still lovely even if the odd inappropriate obsession develops unless it is something really bad and their quirks can be quite amusing to the people who appreciate the breed :)

Note, my experience is with working bred BCs, Show bred ones may not have the same intensity to their obsessions? I don't know.