What Is The Worst Thing About Your Chosen Breed?

Steph M

Aussie Shepherd - Like the others who have commented I too am struggling to find a trait to dislike! There's not a single thing I don't love about them. If I had to pick I think I would have to say the shedding though. So. Much. Fur. Everywhere. All the time.

Also I don't know how true this is for others but I have heard the breed is predisposed to a sensitive stomach. This is definitely true for my girl so I have to be careful what I give her as she gets an upset stomach on different types of food/meat.

Yea, Nova gets the runs on even the smallest bit of chicken, chicken based food. I haven't heard much about other people having problems though!

Yes Lili has a sensitive stomach. She's had a bad bout of colitis and will get stinky burps if she has really rich foods, too much lamb for example.

She has two main coat drops but generally sheds quite a bit!

Breeze is fine with most poultry and the usual beef and lamb but she gets tummy upset with other meats like rabbit, kangaroo, duck, etc, even some offal, even if just in small amounts. She burps quite a lot too! I also know of a few other Aussies that do massive burps frequently!!

She also has 2 major coat drops but I always say she sheds twice a year for six months at a time. :laugh:

Lili is gross haha she looks at you all adorable and then burps right in your face :laugh:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love many many breeds. So this goes for just my currently owned breed (which also will hopefully have an addition in the next few years of another :D )

Cavs- their health issues. Thats the worst. So many things can go wrong! Touch wood mine have been ok so far. But i hate having to worry.

And their ability to make you feel terrible about: leaving them, not feeidng them, not patting them etc with those damn big eyes!

Cavalier - shedding shedding shedding shedding shedding

Hair sticks to everything but the dog :p

I hear this often, but mine barely shed :shrug:

And i have 5 in the house at the moment...

Slightly OT and I don't think it is a breed thing. Tempeh noses everything out of her way, even things that aren't really moveable like say my limbs while I'm sleeping. I put my make up and hair stuff on the bed after a shower so I can sit there and do my thing. While I'm drying myself she is over there pushing it all onto the floor with her nose. If a pillow or a blanket is in the way it gets nosed somewhere else. If a handbag is on the lounge it gets nosed off to the floor. She's even given herself a nose burn trying to get rid of the couch cover (which is actually attached to the couch!). Does anyone else's dog do this? She's my first noser and none of my pei fosters did it so I don't think it is breed related.

I rarely recommend my breeds....they are perfect for me though!

Dalmatians - the movie, the hair, the special diet/stone forming risk, the energy, the "meh, what's in it for me?" attitude until you find out what makes them tick.

Working ESS - bitches in particular...Energiser bunny, incredibly focussed on birds, rabbits, ducks etc,, need a job to keep them with you, not an easy dog to walk - they can't help but hunt and quarter the whole way and certainly not a dog that I let run freely in cover....if they get on a scent they go deaf very quickly. Yes, she recalls very well but I have to call her back literally every 30 seconds before she disappears from view. It's exhausting!

Slightly OT and I don't think it is a breed thing. Tempeh noses everything out of her way, even things that aren't really moveable like say my limbs while I'm sleeping. I put my make up and hair stuff on the bed after a shower so I can sit there and do my thing. While I'm drying myself she is over there pushing it all onto the floor with her nose. If a pillow or a blanket is in the way it gets nosed somewhere else. If a handbag is on the lounge it gets nosed off to the floor. She's even given herself a nose burn trying to get rid of the couch cover (which is actually attached to the couch!). Does anyone else's dog do this? She's my first noser and none of my pei fosters did it so I don't think it is breed related.

I have a noser too LG. The kids call it 'boofing.' Bruno happily boofs all manner of things over with his nose. Schoolbags, drink bottles, etc. And sits outside the toilet door when I'm in there, boofing the door every now and then for good measure. :laugh:

Bulldog.. .."billdog". Intelligence and lack of biddability. Not really stubborn,they just like to make sure it was their decision. Sometimes the decide not to do whatever, just so you know they don't have to. Sometimes they do decide to and then they laugh, because they know they're messing with you and you know they know and you love them for it.

I have a noser too LG. The kids call it 'boofing.' Bruno happily boofs all manner of things over with his nose. Schoolbags, drink bottles, etc. And sits outside the toilet door when I'm in there, boofing the door every now and then for good measure. :laugh:

My Anatolian does this. Walks up to the table and noses whatever he can reach onto the floor *rollyeyes*

My Anatolian does this. Walks up to the table and noses whatever he can reach onto the floor *rollyeyes*

I imagine an Anatolian can reach most things too DA. :laugh:

The kids bedside tables are most attractive to Bruno. Tissue boxes, drink bottles and books are all fun to boof over. Doesn't help that they laugh at him. He wags his tail and does an encore.

I rarely recommend my breeds....they are perfect for me though!

Dalmatians - the movie, the hair, the special diet/stone forming risk, the energy, the "meh, what's in it for me?" attitude until you find out what makes them tick.

Working ESS - bitches in particular...Energiser bunny, incredibly focussed on birds, rabbits, ducks etc,, need a job to keep them with you, not an easy dog to walk - they can't help but hunt and quarter the whole way and certainly not a dog that I let run freely in cover....if they get on a scent they go deaf very quickly. Yes, she recalls very well but I have to call her back literally every 30 seconds before she disappears from view. It's exhausting!

That's Jonah my Shar Pei to a T. My Kelpie X always runs big loops and comes back but he just keeps moving to the next smell and heaven forbid he gets a fresh scent.

I can honestly say the amount of hair Daisy loses is the only thing that would stop me having another beagle. It is insane!

The Malinois generally require a higher level of management than other dogs but there is nothing that would stop me owning more and more :)

I imagine an Anatolian can reach most things too DA. :laugh:

The kids bedside tables are most attractive to Bruno. Tissue boxes, drink bottles and books are all fun to boof over. Doesn't help that they laugh at him. He wags his tail and does an encore.

Yep not much is out of his reach :laugh:

Then he looks all shocked when the thing he nosed bangs on the ground. Umm that's what happens! Big eejit.

Edited by Dame Aussie

Its so cool how so many different breeds have found their perfect people. I have to admit some of these worst things would drive me crackers, as I'm sure would mine to others as well, but nice to know the worst before committing and expecting the best, right?!

Hmmm, probably their best thing, their speed. If my boys ever get a chance, they will chase timid dogs at the park. They think it's a great game. Of course now I know they're likely to do it if given the opportunity it almost never happens because I'm constantly scanning in the distance for dogs they might chase so then clipping their leads back on.

Feathers quirkiness is getting a bit tiresome of late but I indulge her because she is old.

Neko the IGs worst, or most annoying trait is her barking. I know with some individuals their owners might say difficulty in house training, or just plain dirty with that aspect, but I've been luck with Neko, although it took a long time to train her.

Owning a German Shepherd I would say the puppy landshark phase, the shedding, and the fact that bad hips are not as uncommon in the breed as some might think/suggest :(

I also don't like how people ask me if my dog bites, or when they gather their children up and practically run to the other side of the road when I walk past with one of the dogs. I mean, I'm not even walking the actual crazy one when they do this :laugh:

And their ability to make you feel terrible about: leaving them, not feeidng them, not patting them etc with those damn big eyes!

This!

I hear this often, but mine barely shed :shrug:

And i have 5 in the house at the moment...

That would be fantastic. Bella alone sheds enough for two dogs! One of the reasons we don't have another Cavalier lol

Probably the stone forming risk, I hate that I have to think about the effect a food could have on them and not just buy any good brand off the shelf (especially as the great brands often include ingredients that we have to avoid).

I guess I also hate that there are those that poo-poo the LUA (low uric acid) scheme. It's a proactive step to improve a breeds' health, I don't see the poo-pooers doing anything other than bad mouth.

(for those that don't know what I'm on about, a google of LUA dalmatians should give you an idea)

Owning a German Shepherd I would say the puppy landshark phase, the shedding, and the fact that bad hips are not as uncommon in the breed as some might think/suggest :(

I also don't like how people ask me if my dog bites, or when they gather their children up and practically run to the other side of the road when I walk past with one of the dogs. I mean, I'm not even walking the actual crazy one when they do this :laugh:

I'd almost forgotten the puppy landshark phase!

I have vivid memories of sitting on my kitchen floor crying with a glass of wine, safe behind a baby gate