What Is The Worst Thing About Your Chosen Breed?

Steph M

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The barking - agree with Kavik, kelpies in general like the sound of their own voice. I have however been lucky enough to have one non-barker - but he has plenty of other issues to make up for that benefit.

2. The incessant mind games. Kelpies have been bred to work despite the handler (lol) so they are always looking for ways around rules! Tonight's game is what exactly does "in your crate" mean? My current minimum requirement for "in your crate" is that no body part should be touching the ground. So I have a dog in a crate with four feet hanging out. Oh dear.

Aussie Shepherd (I personally like this trait, but it would be difficult for people not prepared)

They need a job to do, and they are smarter than you.

If you don't give them one, they will find their own, and you might not like it!

Yes! I swear it's like living with a four year old human - "what's this thing?" *pokes and knocks thing over* "what does this do?" *pulls cord and nearly smashes the TV* "I'm hungry" *opens fridge to help self* "I'm bored" *pulls everything off the bench for no apparent reason* "what are you doing in there?" *opens door to see*

Sigh, so curious and clever.

But right now when there is hair EVERYWHERE, including in my nose and throat, coat drop is the worst thing :mad

LOL I could totally see this as I was reading it SG :rofl:

Hmmm, the worst thing about cresties? .. still trying to think of something :) It's certainly not shedding :laugh:

Working border collies- all the stupid comments from people. Are you sure its a border collie? What is it crossed with? Why doesn't it look like a border collie? Are you sure its not a kelpie x? I thought working dogs went mad at some point? (It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that aussie farmers are using dogs that just randomly go mad one day!)

Border collies in general- the fact that they have basically conceded that they will never be able to find the genetic link for epilepsy in the breed and it is a genetic lottery every time you breed :(

Pyrenean Shepherds- the intense dislike for strangers. I don't mind Hype ignoring people but you have to watch others like a hawk to make sure they don't try and pat him (even if he takes himself over to them and jumps up at them, it still doesn't give permission to pat apparently...)

Terriers- they are into everything, always hunting for stuff, and have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to training

Ah, the Lapphund. The intelligent and stubborn Lapphund. There's a look mine gives me, and I'm sure other owners (as well as other Spitz breeds) know it. It says 'yes, I know what you asked me to do, I just don't want to. Nope. Not even for my dinner. Unless there's schmacko in it for me, it's not gonna happen'. Everything else ever is far more interesting than what you actually want them to do. There have been days when I just think 'why oh why didn't we just get a sweet biddable labrador'.

Also the coat drop.

:laugh: I must say we see very little of that attitude from Vienna. She's quite biddable :) But the bark! Oh my it goes straight through you!

Owning a German Shepherd I would say the puppy landshark phase, the shedding, and the fact that bad hips are not as uncommon in the breed as some might think/suggest :(

I also don't like how people ask me if my dog bites, or when they gather their children up and practically run to the other side of the road when I walk past with one of the dogs. I mean, I'm not even walking the actual crazy one when they do this :laugh:

I'd almost forgotten the puppy landshark phase!

I have vivid memories of sitting on my kitchen floor crying with a glass of wine, safe behind a baby gate

You are not alone! I did the exact same thing, but with cocktails

Border collies- there are definitely many things that would annoy other people. I think they are perfect :)

Brittanys- not a normal dog you can take for a "nice walk". They go hunting. Always. Prone to separation anxiety, which is pretty funny considering how fast and how far they go on a "walk".

Border Terrier:

Their wire fur. If you don't roll their coat to keep it short it gets quite long and scruffy. You can brush it and two seconds later they look scruffy and unbrushed again. When I stroke my Frenchis fur its sooo smooth and soft and then I stroke Poppy's fur and its like stroking the head of a broom! In saying that she looks extra cute at her fluffiest so its a catch 22 lol.

The wire coat is one of the (many) things I love about my Border Terrier. Given the number of people mentioning shedding as a downside, I consider myself lucky that I can take my terrier to the park and "pluck" the longer outer coat. I do this every 2 weeks or so and all the hair gets left outside to line the birdies' nests. He rarely picks up prickles or burrs, always looks clean, and dries super fast. If you want somewhere soft to stroke, his velvet ears are lovely :)

What's not so nice is the farts. Oh boy, the farts…. :eek:

I agree with Mita that the independent mind of the tibetan spaniel can be a challenge for some. They're smart too so they'll dig their heels in when you're in a rush and don't have time to outsmart them! As they're watchdogs, barking can be an issue if you live in a busy area and with that independent spirit, ours don't stop when we tell them it's all ok. They decide if and when it's ok to stop and usually it's when the 'threat' has moved on! On the flip side, their cheerful, independent nature makes them easy to live with and they are not demanding in terms of exercise or entertainment.

I agree with Mita that the independent mind of the tibetan spaniel can be a challenge for some. They're smart too so they'll dig their heels in when you're in a rush and don't have time to outsmart them! As they're watchdogs, barking can be an issue if you live in a busy area and with that independent spirit, ours don't stop when we tell them it's all ok. They decide if and when it's ok to stop and usually it's when the 'threat' has moved on! On the flip side, their cheerful, independent nature makes them easy to live with and they are not demanding in terms of exercise or entertainment.

Yes, yes, yes!!

I never thought I'd have a dog I'd have to 'debate' with. They are smart in a different way, for example, I've had to open my treat bag at training and let him see what is in there before he 'agrees' to participate ????

He has also 'fallen out' with a friend (human) as she laughed when he tripped when showing off a twirl. He wouldn't even look at her and she had to do some serious grovelling to 'make it up' to him....

Field Spaniel - their nose taking over from their brain. If they engage nose they virtually lose all ability to hear or contemplate that other people exist.

On a personal level with this breed I find sourcing bloodlines to increase the genetic pool very hard - well that and actually breeding litters as they aren't an easy breed to get in whelp

Husky: the reason my next dog will be of a more biddable breed, it will be soooo nice to have a dog that recalls and doesn't chase stock etc for a change lol

Vallhund: yep full on, even though she's elderly and sleeps a lot now when she's awake she's still a fidget bum and into everything.

Chi: I miss having a chi in my life, they can be hard to keep with big dogs though as they keep trying to assert their dominance and forget their size.