What Is The Worst Thing About Your Chosen Breed?

Steph M

The worst thing about my breed (Aussie Terriers) is that you can never just have one. They are such an amazing terrier breed that you fall so deep in love that you want to own ALL of them!

The only other potential problem is their "I don't care about the size difference. I'm going to kill that <insert animal> over there!" If an Aussie wants to get into a fight, it will; Kirah would take on a T-Rex if it p*ssed her off enough. :doh:

Butter wouldn't melt!

image.jpg1_2.jpg

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing about my breed (Aussie Terriers) is that you can never just have one. They are such an amazing terrier breed that you fall so deep in love that you want to own ALL of them!

The only other potential problem is their "I don't care about the size difference. I'm going to kill that <insert animal> over there!" If an Aussie wants to get into a fight, it will; Kirah would take on a T-Rex if it p*ssed her off enough. :doh:

Butter wouldn't melt!

image.jpg1_2.jpg

Kirah is so cute! Does she bark a lot?

Our youngest is half Aussie half Pom and her barking is her worst asset, everything is something to bark at.

I never thought I'd have a dog I'd have to 'debate' with. They are smart in a different way, for example, I've had to open my treat bag at training and let him see what is in there before he 'agrees' to participate ????

Who owned the Tibbie that was in an exercise to figure out which cover hid a treat? All other dogs finally figured it out.... but not the Tibbie. When it was shown him, he couldn't give a damn ... wasn't the kind of treat he wanted. I thought that was so Tibbie. First you negotiate with a Tibbie what they want. I reckon life with a Tibbie prepares you to work in mediation.

All my girls have been good re barking... no training from me! They've needed a darn good reason to bark & the only times they've gone seriously beserk barking was once in finding a thief coming into the house & another time when a lost toddler was out in the street.

But Lily next door has something to say about everything ... she clearly says, 'This property is guarded, by me!' Funny thing when she comes over to our place, she drops that job. She figures, not her property, so let the resident Tibbies do it. Again, typical Tibbie 'thinking'.... her dad says the breed has a self-programmed computer in their heads.

Our youngest is half Aussie half Pom and her barking is her worst asset, everything is something to bark at.

That's one of the best parts about an Aussie; they bark but only to alert. Kirah rarely barks unless there's something like a large blue tongue lizard she's got bailed up behind something and she rarely barks at visitors.

She does do a bit of what I call "peep peep" when she's locked in her crate at agility trials. This is a frustration thing because she only does it when I take Zeus out to have his run. It's generally a let me out I want a turn "peep peep".

That's one of the best parts about an Aussie; they bark but only to alert. Kirah rarely barks unless there's something like a large blue tongue lizard she's got bailed up behind something and she rarely barks at visitors.

She does do a bit of what I call "peep peep" when she's locked in her crate at agility trials. This is a frustration thing because she only does it when I take Zeus out to have his run. It's generally a let me out I want a turn "peep peep".

I think our girl has an Aussies bark with the Poms frequency, makes my head hurt. She mostly barks when she wants someone to play, either the cats, dogs or rabbits, it's so bad sometimes we have to give her time out.

Oh and the occasional scary plastic bag is something to also bark at.

I had a Lappy in one of my classes. OMG the barking :eek: It's so bizarre when you have quiet Spaniels!!! I really had to think outside the square with him :laugh:

Having seen Lappies herd, I am sure they bully the reindeer by yelling at them!!

That's very funny :laugh:

Lol, that's what I say about Shelties herding sheep, at least my Sheltie - the sheep must just go " ok, ok, we'll go where you want, just shut up!"

If people ask me if my dog bites - I always say yes. She does. I tend to answer questions like that a bit literally. But I might tell them "I think if you pat her here, gently, she will enjoy and not bite you" :)

I knew a guy who used to trap animals and bring them to the pound I worked at. He had a cattle dog, a red girl, who would sit in the back of his ute and attack anyone that went near it, including him! :eek: he was ok with it! She was crazy :laugh:

GSP

Put the velcro in "Velcro dog". Has to be with someone ALL THE TIME....unless they are outside exploring then they won't come when called lol.

Shut the toilet door for privacy....well I'll just lay against the door until you open it. Lying on the sofa watching tv...I must lie with you...preferably under a blanket thanks.

You went out for 5 minutes.....oh lord I thought you were NEVER coming home! Let me go crazy over you and whip you with my tail a hundred times.

Let me out for a wee. No I don't want to come back in I'm happy out here thanks.....5 seconds later screaming at the door to be let in because how could you possibly dare to leave me out there.

Eating some food....let me watch every single bite you take while drooling all over you.

GSP

Put the velcro in "Velcro dog". Has to be with someone ALL THE TIME....unless they are outside exploring then they won't come when called lol.

Shut the toilet door for privacy....well I'll just lay against the door until you open it. Lying on the sofa watching tv...I must lie with you...preferably under a blanket thanks.

You went out for 5 minutes.....oh lord I thought you were NEVER coming home! Let me go crazy over you and whip you with my tail a hundred times.

Let me out for a wee. No I don't want to come back in I'm happy out here thanks.....5 seconds later screaming at the door to be let in because how could you possibly dare to leave me out there.

Eating some food....let me watch every single bite you take while drooling all over you.

Same all applies to our flat coat too! Haha haha!!

Bassett Fauve.

I have two Fauves and they love to sing the song of their people. Wawoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

wineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Then we come to the Fauve nose, Cedro's is like Rudolf's brown and hot.

He can run for miles singing and sniffing, but that is what they were bred to do so its silly to complain about it.

When the 7foot fences go up he wont get out again!

Even with all of this they a soft lovely family loving dogs, Cedro was blissed out yesterday when we cam around a corner and there were a dozen or so school children, he hadn't met kids up here, so I panicked, but he was wonderful wagging and sniffing every child, a good ambassador for his breed.

I forgot to mention that they can never be off lead and they shed all year every day and every minute.

They will only return to you if they want to or if you have something they want otherwise the nose runs the body.

Edited by gillybob

Alaskan Malamute: their most difficult quality is also their best - stubbornness, back chatting (I just now had an argument with my mal - he wanted to eat his bed, I told him not to and he wanted to argue the point!).

They do have a real independent streak, they like to do what they want to do and always think they know better. But they are fun to train because they're so damn smart and mischievous, sometimes they just decide they want to do their own thing. But you always need to follow through with a command.

The mischievousness - the other night, I turned on the outside light to see what our dog was up to. As soon as the light came on, he had been laying with his head up, then laid completely down on his side. I went over to see him and he was doing that dry mouth thing like he had been laying down for a while. Turns out he had been digging the grass! They're so cheeky. You'll have him sit and wait for a toy, then he'll suddenly look up at the sky, and when you look to see what he's looking at, he'll grab the toy and run away with it.

A malamute is my first dog, and the early days were SO hard. He was a very bitey puppy - just to me. He took a real shine to my partner from the first day. So it's been far more challenging for me to establish myself as a pack leader. Because they're not usually in it to please you, training has to be fun with lots of edible rewards.

The fur: oh my gosh, the fur. It's shedding season again and the brushing is never ending. All the pictures you see of mountains of fur are true. Also, tumble weeds of fur in the backyard. Not the kind of dog for people who care if they accidentally ingest half their dog's coat in their food. The amount of brushing required is severely understated, we do it every day this time of year.

The digging: you will never train this out of them. You may be able to redirect their impressive digging skills to somewhere other than the grass. We have a big section down the back that is just rocks and dirt, as well as his sandpit. Right now he's got about 6 holes in progress. If you can't give them a large designated area that they can dig to their heart's content, be prepared for excavations anywhere and everywhere!

In short: challenging breed, very stubborn, cheeky, excessively shedding, but oh so much fun. I'd never have another breed.