Do You Ever Get Over The Death Of A Dog?

I read this yesterday. What a beautiful tribute to his beloved dog.

I don't think you ever get over it. My partner's first malamute has been gone over 7 years, he was the first dog I'd ever gotten to know, and I was devastated when he crossed the rainbow bridge :( it was a million times worse for my partner, he became really depressed for a long time. I would always tell him that it's not about getting OVER it, it's about getting THROUGH it. Every year on his anniversary, we go out to a special place by a lagoon, the same place we went to after his boy was put to sleep. We take his ashes, and sit there, shed a few tears and talk about him. This anniversary just past, we took our malamute puppy, and were amazed at how quiet he was. It was like he knew it was a special place and we were there for a special reason.

I read this yesterday. What a beautiful tribute to his beloved dog.

I don't think you ever get over it. My partner's first malamute has been gone over 7 years, he was the first dog I'd ever gotten to know, and I was devastated when he crossed the rainbow bridge :( it was a million times worse for my partner, he became really depressed for a long time. I would always tell him that it's not about getting OVER it, it's about getting THROUGH it. Every year on his anniversary, we go out to a special place by a lagoon, the same place we went to after his boy was put to sleep. We take his ashes, and sit there, shed a few tears and talk about him. This anniversary just past, we took our malamute puppy, and were amazed at how quiet he was. It was like he knew it was a special place and we were there for a special reason.

That is really beautiful, ellejaytee. **hugs** to you both. I used to have a black and white teeny tiny Papillon X Chihuahua who died seven years ago too. I recently bought some new dog coats and one is black and white. I put it on Tamar (Shih Tzu X Maltese) and a little later, out of the corner of my eye, I caught this flash of black and white. I am sure my heart stopped for a nano second.

I can’t believe you would make a post about a Malamute puppy and not attach a photo. :D :D

He has written an autobiography of his early years called "Flesh Wounds". I haven't read it but heard a long interview with him about it. I regularly listen to him on ABC 702 Drive now that I have a little Walkman radio.

Just finished it, DDD and it's brilliant. Funny and sad at the same time and beautifully written. Highly recommend it.

Nope, I don't think I will ever get over my beloved Greta, for me it's a matter of being able to live/exist with the loss, fumbling around to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart and wake up each day and be able to breathe in and out and try to carry on without her physical presence.

Never had a dog like Greta before, never will again, I cannot look at pictures of her, I cannot read what I wrote about her in previous threads, because I end up with a hollow lump in my throat that actually causes me physical pain right down into my chest and the pit of my stomach, just like it is now just writing this little reply. So I will stop. I miss her with every fiber of my being.

She sits in a little spot in my heart, somewhere between the lump in my throat and the pit stomach.

He has written an autobiography of his early years called "Flesh Wounds". I haven't read it but heard a long interview with him about it. I regularly listen to him on ABC 702 Drive now that I have a little Walkman radio.

Just finished it, DDD and it's brilliant. Funny and sad at the same time and beautifully written. Highly recommend it.

Oh thank you. I’ve been looking for something to read. Off to the shops tomorrow.

Nope, I don't think I will ever get over my beloved Greta, for me it's a matter of being able to live/exist with the loss, fumbling around to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart and wake up each day and be able to breathe in and out and try to carry on without her physical presence.

Never had a dog like Greta before, never will again, I cannot look at pictures of her, I cannot read what I wrote about her in previous threads, because I end up with a hollow lump in my throat that actually causes me physical pain right down into my chest and the pit of my stomach, just like it is now just writing this little reply. So I will stop. I miss her with every fiber of my being.

She sits in a little spot in my heart, somewhere between the lump in my throat and the pit stomach.

It's been 11 years this month since I lost my beloved Woosie... and you have pinpointed exactly what it feels like... still...

Big hugs to you Rayhay...

T.

I waited until it was night and I was alone to read this, very beautiful and oh so so true.

The loss of our beautiful Bru is still very raw for me and he is everywhere in this house and in our memories.

The pure love that a dog gives you each day is very special.

I don't think I'll ever get over his passing.

Its the deafening silence, that first time that you come home.

yep all those years ago july 2005 when my beloved Jake and The Divine Miss Sophie took their Bridge journey a mere 6 days apart..the silence was deafening. I could not sleep for the quiet.. You never get over but with time you get through.. and when you are a dog person.. it happens allover again. This year Dennys Dog... departed for those great tratturi of the skies...

the memories bring both tears and smiles forever

H

Its the deafening silence, that first time that you come home.

yep all those years ago july 2005 when my beloved Jake and The Divine Miss Sophie took their Bridge journey a mere 6 days apart..the silence was deafening. I could not sleep for the quiet.. You never get over but with time you get through.. and when you are a dog person.. it happens allover again. This year Dennys Dog... departed for those great tratturi of the skies...

the memories bring both tears and smiles forever

H

I don't think I'll ever forget the quiet as I let myself into my Aunts house for the first time after her dear old Jess went. She had a full length hall with floorboards which was thundered up and down a when you came home.