Importing Semen

mini girl

i have decided to import semen from USA. I have had contact with the owner of the boy I want to use and going through an agent who has been very helpful.My next step is to send an agreement or contract to the owner of the stud outlining what each will do, cost to me and what her obligations are. As this is the first time I have done this I wonder if anyone has done such an agreement and what things were put in it. I have checked with Dogs Qld and the semen becomes my property once it arrives and all necessary paperwork completed. Anyone that may be willing to send me an agreement they have used would be wonderful just looking for some guidelines.

• 1 month later...

Unless you have pots and pots of money and the willingness to enforce a contract gone bad in a cross jurisdictional situation then honestly I would just agree on arrangements by email. It has basically the same effect for most practical purposes and you can easily cover the things that are of interest to you both. And yes I do know of people who have paid for American lawyers to win a case, but it's not a trivial exercise (see again, pots of money).

The kinds of things you want to cover are: How many breeding units? Which bitch is the first mating meant for if more than one breeding unit? Do they want a puppy back - which puppy (e.g. second pick either sex, first pick male) and when will they decide so that you can place the other puppies promptly. Any health tests not yet done that you want done? What is the fee for the semen? Any other fees for the other arrangements? Commitment on part of exporter to send all necessary paperwork. If they send you more than one breeding unit are there any restrictions on the use of the semen with other bitches. If you get hit by a bus do they have a view about who is the secondary contact for the semen in Oz? While the semen is yours, you still have a reputation in the breed to consider. The owner of the dog may not be OK with you listing it for public sale, for example, and I think it's wise to be considerate if you want future stud dog owners to work with you. What happens, if anything, if the whole thing doesn't work out as you planned (terrible quality semen, singleton or no pups etc).

Much of what you'd cover with a stud dog owner living in the next suburb you cover in these situations, the main things are the future stewardship of the frozen semen and ensuring that you've done your homework to ensure you're not about to flush a lot of money (eg, is stud dog proven, can they provide info about semen quality etc).