Puppy Farms Illegal In Act

BarbedWire

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11951367_880839518620295_587770230921803640_n.jpg?oh=40b3f92a641f157f36e04cfd7f61edb8&oe=56AAF72A

Puppy, kitten farms banned in ACT as new laws come into force

Posted about an hour ago

Puppy and kitten farms will be banned in the ACT from today, and under the new legislation unscrupulous breeders could be fined up to $15,000, or $75,000 for a corporation.

Minister for Municipal Services Shane Rattenbury said new breeding standards meant dogs were limited to four litters during their lifetime.

Cats will be restricted to eight litters.

Mr Rattenbury said the new standards were developed in consultation with the Animal Welfare Advisory Committee.

"The legislation that comes into effect today is designed to prevent the intensive breeding of dogs and cats for the local pet market," he said.

"This is an important animal welfare development that ensures that animals are not simply being impregnated as often as possible."

'Not a major burden for legitimate breeders'

Mr Rattenbury said breeders will now have to be licensed and will be subject to inspections, as part of the new legislation under the Domestic Animals Act 2000.

"For legitimate breeders this new licence will not be a major burden," he said.

"But for those doing the wrong thing this is designed to stamp out animal welfare practices that are very poor."

Mr Rattenbury said the new laws were part of the ACT Greens-Labor Parliamentary Agreement, negotiated in 2012 when ACT Labor came to power with Mr Rattenbury's help, following a hung parliament result at that year's election.

The agreement contained a commitment by ACT Government to improve animal welfare standards for cats and dogs.

Hopefully it will curb the activities of backyard breeders

Definately a step in the right direction. If only other states weren't such wimps.

I'd be interested in what good breeders think of this though - will it restrict you or create major burdens? Is four litters from a good breeding bitch acceptable for continuing a good line? What if your breed only has small litters? I would think this is a great opportunity to also get the word out about people buying pups from good registered breeders - how to find them, how it works, the benefits, time differences, etc.

My other question though is are pet shops still free to just source their puppies and kittens from pet farms located interstate? Or is legislation and policing already in place to address that?

Definately a step in the right direction. If only other states weren't such wimps.

I'd be interested in what good breeders think of this though - will it restrict you or create major burdens? Is four litters from a good breeding bitch acceptable for continuing a good line? What if your breed only has small litters? I would think this is a great opportunity to also get the word out about people buying pups from good registered breeders - how to find them, how it works, the benefits, time differences, etc.

My other question though is are pet shops still free to just source their puppies and kittens from pet farms located interstate? Or is legislation and policing already in place to address that?

Has an exemption been agreed to re ACTCA members breeding ANKC registered bitches?

Just answering this at face value. No idea if ANKC breeders have any excemptions.

If you don't get what you want in 4 litters then you are never going to. Whatever the size of the litter. Even 4 singletons has given you 4 to choose from to continue on with.

Personally I would never breed more then 2 litters from one bitch cause my breed does usually have more then one or two. Mind you my 1st litter had only 2 pups, 2nd 8, both the same bitch. 3rd, from the bitch from the 1st litter leased back, had 6. Highly likely I will only breed the next bitch once. I am also in a breed hard to find suitable homes for. I also don't have a problem with good breeders have "pet home" only litters as the pups are still from health tested parents etc. But I still think 4 litters is plenty. This is for purebred, registered dogs. Oddles etc shouldn't have any litters.

Has an exemption been agreed to re ACTCA members breeding ANKC registered bitches?

No.

I have to agree I don't see why any bitch needs to have more than four litters unless exceptional circumstances arise.

I doubt it will make a difference to volume breeding wharehouse style puppy breeders. They will just dispose of the bitches at a younger age, once they've pumped out four litters by the time they're three or four years old, and replace them. It might make life slightly harder for the farmer, and slightly better for the bitch if it is re homed at a relatively young age. But unless it's strictly policed and enforced, I think it's more talk and little action.

Can anyone confirm if the following is true? I can't find confirmation online...

You must not breed a litter for profit

Have to apply for and publish a Breeders licence number with all advertising

Must not sell a dog OVER six months of age which isn’t desexed

Only breed from dogs between 18 months and 6 years old

Cannot breed from a bitch more than once in any 18 month period

Cannot breed from a Bitch who has previously had a Caesarean, or failed to carry a previous litter to term

Can anyone confirm if the following is true? I can't find confirmation online...

Cannot breed from a Bitch who has previously had a Caesarean, or failed to carry a previous litter to term

A mix of true, false and depends. You can breed a litter for profit, you just need a license and comply with the rules . You can sell an undesexed dog over 6 months but you have to let them know. The age , frequency and caesarian limits listed are correct, but approval from a vet that the breeding is ok gives an exemption. The licenee number needs to be included in ads and that might prove to be the most effective bit if they enforce it

I don't think there are any existing puppy farms and it would be hard to set one up without being noticed and in breach of some existing planning rule, and the unregistered backyard breeders mostly seem to ignore restrictions so I doubt they will do anything much for animal welfare really. Enforcing the leash laws would probably do more, but I guess they mean well.

Edited by Diva

A mix of true, false and depends. You can breed a litter for profit, you just need a license and comply with the rules . You can sell an undesexed dog over 6 months but you have to let them know. The age , frequency and caesarian limits listed are correct, but approval from a vet that the breeding is ok gives an exemption. The licenee number needs to be included in ads and that might prove to be the most effective bit if they enforce it

I don't think there are any existing puppy farms and it would be hard to set one up without being noticed and in breach of some existing planning rule, and the unregistered backyard breeders mostly seem to ignore restrictions so I doubt they will do anything much for animal welfare really. Enforcing the leash laws would probably do more, but I guess they mean well.

So in reality the only thing is that has changed is that vets get richer

Here's the link to the legislation http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2015-257/current/pdf/2015-257.pdf

The new legislation is not going to change anything as we don't have puppy farms in ACT. What we *do* have is a large backyard breeding problem. I counted 200 puppies sold on Facebook in Canberra by Canberra residents (staffy x etc) in August alone.

I agree Ronja. The pounds are full of them (staffy x etc) and the pups are openly advertised everywhere and sometimes the breeders put exorbitant prices on them. I have seen so many ads for red nosed pit bulls at my local shopping centre, it's nauseating. What sort of a life will those pups have?

I wonder how a puppy farm is defined. Is it just the numbers or the motivation? BYBs who regularly have pups for sale must come close to being puppy farmers.

Edited by sarsaparilla