Safe Fly Repellent ?

sheena

The downside of not using Advantix, is that now it is biting fly season, my dogs are being annoyed on there walks by march flies. They are on Nexgard for ticks, but that doesn't repel flies like the Advantix used to do :( What is a safe insect repellant that I can use on them ? Apart from everything else, I imagine they would not like something that stunk too much.

I can't think of a safe fly repellent that works.

This recipe is supposed to work for mozzies. Haven't tried it myself but it's really tempting.

Mozzie yard spray

big bottle cheap mouth wash (33oz or 1 litre approx.)

3 cups epson salt

2 stale 12oz (350 ml approx. each, must be Amurrican) cheap beer

Mix until salt is dissolved

spray where you sit outside (or where mozzies like to be)

Repeat every 80 days or twice a summer.

I have some rosemary based fly repellent from an equestrian centre - it cost $25 for a 750ml bottle ish, it smells really nice but it doesn't stop mozzies biting. It might stop flies but haven't noticed.

using fly traps can help reduce the population. And cleaning up all the nearby poops.

my mum got a "yard guard" bug zapper and at the moment it is knocking off lots of moths that are the ones that make green looper caterpillars. The plants near this zapper - have no caterpillars. don't know it dispatches flies or mozzies - too many moth bodies to tell.

post-31700-0-49928200-1442389997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

We live on a farm, so picking up all the poops is impossible

True - but a few good fly traps and cleaning up the house yard might help reduce the population. If you're on a farm with livestock around (poo dispensing machines) - you will need the extra large fly traps (or make your own out of 2 litre soft drink bottles from the footy club - cos I don't drink the stuff).

If I find a good fly repellent recipe I will let you know. There is a rather evil smelling plant called wormwood that is supposed to help repel insects, as are lavender and mint. I've not noticed much difference. I like lavender and mint but can't stand wormwood so I'm not planting any of that.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1872509.htm

Ps the article mentions a plant with yellow flowers called Tansy - which can be rubbed on a dog or cat to help repell flies. But it is also a bit toxic.

it might be related to the pyrethrum daisy that lots of "natural" bug killers are based on - but that's toxic too. You might as well use aeroguard as that. But planting in the garden or around the house paddock fence might help.

repel x

I will have to check that out. Thank you. :)

hmm

Composition

N, N-Diethyltoluamide 20g/L, Di-N-propyl isocinchomeronate 20g/L, N-Octyl Biccloheptene dicaroboximide 10g/L, Piperonyl Butoxide 8g/L, Citronella 5g/L, Pyrethrins 2g/L.

Pyrethrins... bug killer. Same as fly spray with all natural ingredients.

Aeroguard tropical strength

Butane, Alcohol Denat., Diethyl Toluamide, Isopropyl Myristate, N-Octyl Bicycloheptene Dicarboximide, Fragrance (Amyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool).

Note - Diethyl Toluamide and N-Diethyltoluamide are different names for DEET (rid) ?

I reckon repel-x would work really well but it's not any safer than the commercial personal (for humans) insect repellants.

This info might be useful - kid safe insect repellent (recommends a low level of Deet) but kids don't lick themselves much. Mind you Rid is a good cure for licking. Taste Yuck Much.

http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_sheets/Insect_repellents_guidelines_for_safe_use/

Permoxin spray on the dogs will do the job, as long as you don't have cats to worry about. It won't repel but it will kill if they land on the dog. Anything with imidacloprid in it will do the same.

The other thing to try (for around the house) is QuickBayt. At the start of each summer, I mix it up and paint it in sheltered places outside and within a few weeks, the fly population is reduced to virtually none. As new ones come in, they go to the QuickBayt, eat it and join their friends in fly heaven.

Go back to using advantix. Flys mozzies fleas (all stages) environmental assistance and ticks all varieties and proven repellency.

Why risk your Dog and allow the ticks, fleas, mozzies and flies to bite them?

They are on Nexgard for ticks & fleas & we don't have many mozzies, so its just the March flies really. Thanks for the suggestions everybody :)

• 3 months later...

I can't think of a safe fly repellent that works.

This recipe is supposed to work for mozzies. Haven't tried it myself but it's really tempting.

Mozzie yard spray

big bottle cheap mouth wash (33oz or 1 litre approx.)

3 cups epson salt

2 stale 12oz (350 ml approx. each, must be Amurrican) cheap beer

Mix until salt is dissolved

spray where you sit outside (or where mozzies like to be)

Repeat every 80 days or twice a summer.

I have some rosemary based fly repellent from an equestrian centre - it cost $25 for a 750ml bottle ish, it smells really nice but it doesn't stop mozzies biting. It might stop flies but haven't noticed.

using fly traps can help reduce the population. And cleaning up all the nearby poops.

my mum got a "yard guard" bug zapper and at the moment it is knocking off lots of moths that are the ones that make green looper caterpillars. The plants near this zapper - have no caterpillars. don't know it dispatches flies or mozzies - too many moth bodies to tell.

I just mixed some of this up & sprayed inside their kennels with it to deter the mozzies & just had a read of the ingredients on the cheap mouthwash. It contains xylitol :(

Hope they don't lick it off !!

Edited by sheena

yikes.

I thought mouth wash was 90% alcohol... xylitol - no wonder they say don't swallow it - tho I feel sorry for the extreme alcoholics who drink it...

I got given this as a roll on - cedarwood and rosemary oils... smells really nice but I'm not sure if it will stop mozzies eating me. Will let you all know.

http://www.crystalclearwater.com.au/product/NB-R006