Ping!

Podengo

Can you tell us more about the breed?

He looks like a ratter or a rabbit/hare hunter.

What is their prey drive like?

You could put info in Breeds 101 on DOL.

Im just interested in what kind of dog they are.

I have just seen they are a hound would go nicely with my Fauves, they would colour co-ordinate!

Edited by gillybob

Can you tell us more about the breed?

He looks like a ratter or a rabbit/hare hunter.

What is their prey drive like?

You could put info in Breeds 101 on DOL.

Im just interested in what kind of dog they are.

I have just seen they are a hound would go nicely with my Fauves, they would colour co-ordinate!

I have put in a request for Dog Breeds 101 :)

They are used in Portugal to go through rough cover and into holes to flush and/or kill rabbits, alongside the medium (medio) version of the breed. Also used on boats and around the house for ratting. As I'm sure you can guess, high prey drive! They love to chase and kill things. Ping loves running after hares in the forest but loses them quickly. He doesn't run off for miles tracking them, usually once the visual stimulus is gone he'll spend 30 seconds looking for it, then come back to me and look out for the next hare (where we walk it's not uncommon to see 10-30 hares in one walk!!)

In the house he is busy, busy, busy! Keeps himself entertained with toys or playing with Elsie. Loves climbing and getting up into high places and he is a really curious little dog. When we're out he is confident and friendly, loves saying hello to new people and dogs, he can get a little nervous if strangers try to pick him up, he is a bit touch sensitive, not in a snappy way, but he did need quite a bit of handling early on to get him happy with being picked up, having his collar held etc. He is happy in crowded, noisy places (cafes etc) and is happy to settle down and just watch everything. I have been doing some sport training with him too, he can train for longer than I expected, but not with the same intensity as a working dog. His ultimate reward is a fluffy thing on a rope that he can chase, so we try to figure out how to work that into all of our agility training! High endurance, he is happy to go out for hours running and trotting. Very affectionate and cuddly at home, once he settles in the evening it is usually snuggled up on someone's chest gazing adoringly at them!

He is a LOT smaller than what people expect, not a lot bigger than a Chihuahua, though he is a sturdy little guy. As far as 'bad' points for the breed, like with any hound I would be very careful about where I exercised them off lead. They aren't really lap dogs despite looking like it. Health issues are eyes, patellas and hips. They can be nervous, I've heard quite a few people from America mention them being very worried little dogs, the ones I've met aren't like that but something to watch for. Ping really feels the cold. In my experience they like the sound of their own voice!

There are two litters on the ground at the moment, so Aussie is quite flush with this little rare breed at the moment :)

Hope that is of some help to you!

• 2 weeks later...