Dog Friendly Fruit Trees?

Two Best Dogs!

I'm dismantling the grape vine in the backyard before it starts growing leaves/making grapes (and poisoning the dog) and I'm wondering what I could replace it with? I'll probably leave the frame up, so bonus if it's something I can train around the frame.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a tree but something that will be around awhile and give us some shade up the back.

Does anyone have fruit trees their dogs don't seem to particularly care for? Or yummy suggestions?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm dismantling the grape vine in the backyard before it starts growing leaves/making grapes (and poisoning the dog) and I'm wondering what I could replace it with? I'll probably leave the frame up, so bonus if it's something I can train around the frame.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a tree but something that will be around awhile and give us some shade up the back.

Does anyone have fruit trees their dogs don't seem to particularly care for? Or yummy suggestions?

Is a grape vine all that dangerous? Could you not fence it off? Seems a drastic measure and no guarantee a replacement won't be just as bad

Is a grape vine all that dangerous? Could you not fence it off? Seems a drastic measure and no guarantee a replacement won't be just as bad

Because some dogs are so sensitive to grapes that a mere handful can be fatal, or at best cause long term kidney damage. Not worth the risk.

I chopped out the grape vine too. It had those dark sweet grapes and was too attractive. :)

I think you have a lot of options, but if you have a larger dog don't plant a mango because they can swallow the seeds. And stone fruit would probably be worth avoiding.

You're in VIC? You've got the Digger's Club who should have interesting suggestions for you that match your climate and needs.

Because some dogs are so sensitive to grapes that a mere handful can be fatal, or at best cause long term kidney damage. Not worth the risk.

Yeah I wouldn't risk it either.

Lemons are good and pretty safe as most dogs won't eat many!

We have an apricot tree and the dogs love it :laugh: especially Mosley. He doesn't eat the pip, just nibbles around the first layer and leaves the rest. He also nicks any veggies I grow. He has a penchant for cucumbers.

Edited by Dame Aussie

My dog loves lemons. I think he thinks they are balls, but he seems to like the taste too. So much for the citrus based chew deterrents.

Then again, he will eat any plant he can get his mouth on. Even the rose bushes despite the fact they bite back.

If you want another climber how about kiwifruit? You need a male and a female plant if you want fruit...

I thought that pomegranate would be fairly unappealing to a dog, seeing as it's got a big gross outer bit. Nope damn dog ate all of them too...

He even carefully picked some kind of berry from a tree that had thorns, using his tongue like a giraffe.

Actually Lemon or Lime is probably the best option. If they pick a few off once they get the taste they tend to not like them!

Edited by LisaCC

My dog loves lemons. I think he thinks they are balls, but he seems to like the taste too. So much for the citrus based chew deterrents.

Then again, he will eat any plant he can get his mouth on. Even the rose bushes despite the fact they bite back.

If you want another climber how about kiwifruit? You need a male and a female plant if you want fruit...

Ok my theory is gone laugh.gif

Avoid avocado. It is no good for dogs.

ETA..... Avocado plant probably won't kill your dog but it can cause stomach upsets etc. better avoided.

This I know! I've got two avocados im planting in the front yard. Basically I try to split it, bad for pets go in front yard and okay in the backyard. So tomatoes in front yard cause the leaves are bad for bunnies. Helps me to sto accidentally poisoning someone!

Thanks everyone! I haven't read everything yet. Really busy at work today :(

Edited by Thistle the dog

We kept our grape vine but OH built a very clever system of screens for underneath to catch any grapes.

How about passionfruit? Our dogs ate the contents sometimes but only if the rats chewed a hole first.

We've moved into a place where the next door neighbour's olive tree drops fruit all the time and the dogs don't mind an occasional munch but the seeds go straight through them.