Controlled Barking, Does It Work?

juice

So , my new next door neighbours moved in and then bought a cav pup. He came round to say hi, and introduced himself warned us of impending party, and gave me his mobile number when they went away a few weeks ago. This was a couple of months ago, all good.

So for the last 2 weeks around 7am there is a constant yappy barking for about an hour, waking my kids up. ( one works as sound engineer for gigs ,so often doesnt get home till after 3am). He works from home, so i know he is there.

I popped round a few days ago to retrieve a ball that went over, and there is the cav puppy and an 8 week old cocker pup too.

Owner rolled his eyes when i asked if they were multiplying, and he said his partner had made him call in at the petshop and they bought said cocker. He then said it had been a nightmare since, cav had now stopped being housetrained, was trashing the garden and house, and i casually mentioned the barking and he said it was the cocker.

So this morning at 7 am it starts again, after about an hour it had woken both my kids up and i was just really over it, so i sent him a lighthearted text, saying could he do something.

He apologised, said they were trying controlled barking, which he said wasn't working, they had been to the vet yesterday and bought lots of gadgets spent a fortune ,and the pup was only 10 weeks old so i needed to be patient as its young to learn.

I replied with its not too young to learn, and that vets are not behavoirists, still trying to be jokey and friendly.

He said he has a trainer coming weds , and will drop pup at inlaws till then. But wouldn't tell me which trainer is coming.

I told him i could recomend someone.

So any ideas? Steve will be too full to get in quickly, and i might fall out with him over this soon if he doesn't sort it!

Hills district .

What is controlled barking?

I've obviously been out of training for too long.

Sounds like a copy of controlled crying for babies.Babies and puppies should not be left to cry in the hope they just give up on their own.Ridiculous.

Maybe print up some training info for them.

Its barking outside.

The neighbour informed me he going to start a new job in 2 weeks , so i'm worried its going to be left out allday Then.

Atm it has about an hour of barking early in the morning and again about 4 ish. :(

Extinction training does work if the barking is attention seeking. There are things that they can do to reduce the length of time it goes for but they are right in that it will take time and some barking will occur. If they cave now and bring him in when he barks it will make the problem much worse and for much longer

Perhaps i could ask him not to do it early in the mornings then till he gets ontop of it.

i think they thought it would be easy going like the cav pup, its cute and furry, which about as much research as they did on cockers :laugh:

If he is approachable I would ask him to try and minimise the barking in the morning but having said that some barking at 7am is deemed acceptable. Our animal control allows something like 15 barks per hour between the hours of 7am and 9pm before it is deemed unacceptable.

I think it might be it just barks whenever he leaves them outside, which atm seems to be when his partner leaves for work around 7am. Then he must put them out again late arvo.

Its continual barking, without stopping for breath, not the odd bark here and there which i would have no problem with.

He clearly realizes there is a problem already as said they have a trainer booked for weds. Will see who it turns out to be and what they tell him to do.

Yes i thought that too.

Although he was open to me suggesting someone, just dont know anyone other than steve, who will be full i can recommend.

The peace this morning is bliss as they dropped it to inlaws till weds :laugh:

I havn't been too mean, its been going on for 2 weeks, at least twice a day for at least an hour each time.

So i have let it go until yesterday when it woke both my kids up again.Its more the time of day really, 2 older teens being woken too early is not a pleasant experience :laugh: