My Dog My Choice

Yonjuro

My dog my choice

When discussing breeding with various dog ‘owners’, I often hear the emphatic statement, “It’s my dog, so it’s my choice”. My answer to this is quite simply - no it’s not.

It is not our choice. We take on the role as a guardian to a dog. We don't own them like we own a toaster or a car. Our role is to care for them, provide shelter, food, medical care and most of all to love them and protect them.

Putting our beloved dog into a situation where they are forced to breed is fraught with danger. There are a myriad of health problems that can result. Quite simply, your beloved dog could die.

An ethical registered breeder will only breed for the betterment of their chosen breed. Such a breeder will normally decide to have a litter when there is a need to. Not to pump out puppies in order to line their purses. Such a breeder will have done full research into the lines and will have vets test the sire and dam for heritable conditions. They will also be sure that the dogs are of great temperament. Said breeders will also thoroughly interview the prospective new family to ensure their suitability in providing the best home for one of their ‘babies’.

Unfortunately not all registered breeders are ethical or responsible. However it is highly unlikely that any BYB (backyard breeders) will undertake any of the above tests. To the person taking on one of these BYB puppies, it means there is a far greater risk, that the joy of getting a puppy will turn into a nightmare when dealing with a dog with physical and or behavioural problems.

If after all this then you think that you are very passionate about dogs and that you want to breed, then; join the breed club of your chosen dog, research all there is about the breed and then find an ethical registered breeder that is prepared to mentor you. One does not simply state that they are a midwife or nurse because they want to, they must study and gain qualifications in order to offer their services in a safe and professional manner. Dogs cannot tell us what is wrong so the role of the breeder becomes so much more complicated and vital in ensuring their health.

To the potential breeder - Will you take back the puppy or adult dog if the buyer changes their mind, or if the dog has inherited a physical or behavioural condition resulting from the mating? Rescues and pounds are full of dogs such as these. Do you accept that there is possibility that the puppy you have helped into this world, may be euthanised because a person or home couldn’t be found to care for a dog with inherited conditions?

Right now, backyard breeding is becoming an epidemic. Rescues and shelters are overrun with adult dogs that were once cute puppies. Many of us have unknowingly supported the proliferation of the problem by purchasing from sources far from ideal, but this is not about blame. It is about understanding and making an informed decision in the future.

So what can we do? Firstly; we can rethink the idea of “my dog, my choice”. Secondly; we can stop supporting these backyard breeders and stop supporting pet shops that sell puppies and thirdly ; we can support the efforts of rescue organisations and responsible ethical breeders . Adopting a dog, providing a foster home or supporting financially or morally is where we can all start.

It is my belief, gentle reader, that breeding is not a choice, it is not a right that is assigned to you, when you have a dog. It is a calling for a few passionate, caring and knowledgeable people. Breeding however, is not a calling for me.

Edited by Yonjuro

Or

Breeding your bitch can give her permanent saggy tits. :)

I usually ask a lot of "have you thought about" (this thing that can go wrong)... a few have changed their minds. Some have gone away. Some have gone away and come back later - declaring they've changed their minds deciding to leave breeding to the experts.

And some - who are really keen on the idea have actually investigated more deeply and paired up with an established breeder who is doing the right thing to get started.

So true about the saggy tits :( I'm fostering a bitch at the moment (also an Aussie shepherd) who has had 5 litters & she's 4 years old frown.gif Super saggy tits & I think she's finally started growing her coat back. When I first got her she looked awful!

I'm not really that keen on Oscar's Law, personally. I feel like it's turned into an "Anti-any-breeder" rather than "don't buy from a s*** breeder". I mean, "Adopt don't shop" is fine, but then the fanatics get offended when you buy a pup from a registered, ethical breeder.

So true about the saggy tits :( I'm fostering a bitch at the moment (also an Aussie shepherd) who has had 5 litters & she's 4 years old frown.gif Super saggy tits & I think she's finally started growing her coat back. When I first got her she looked awful! I'm not really that keen on Oscar's Law, personally. I feel like it's turned into an "Anti-any-breeder" rather than "don't buy from a s*** breeder". I mean, "Adopt don't shop" is fine, but then the fanatics get offended when you buy a pup from a registered, ethical breeder.

I didn't know Oscars law were anti registered breeders too, I thought they were just involved in trying to shut down puppy factories and stoping sales in pet shops. I am obviously a supporter of registered breeders I may have to modify my piece if in fact Oscars law are anti breeding "full stop" as that is not a view I share.

I agree with what you said, Yonjuro, but sadly, breeding your dog is not illegal So actually, it is true, their dog, their choice. :(

Yep, my argument is from a moral and ethical view rather than a legal standpoint. What is law and what is right are not always the same.

In any case I wrote this quickly today as I have been having a few discussions on these subjects recently and thought I would attempt to put my thoughts on paper and out of my mind for a short while :)

Edited by Yonjuro

Not just breeding either. I once expressed concern on facebook about the really fat IGs I was seeing, not just the little chubby ones, but ones that are easily twice the healthy weight they should be. I got howled down that it was the owners right to have the dog at the weight they wanted and how dare I try to suggest otherwise. Personally I feel it's form of abuse. Some owners appear proud that their giant IG weighs 12 or more kilos. :(

Edited by Kirislin

I and many other have been trying to tell people about Oscars Laws for years about the anti breeding. If this law comes in we the ethical registered breeders will be included. Until a claws is included that exempts legally registered breeders we will not support Oscars law.

I worry about the 'adopt don't shop' crowd sometimes. There aren't always dogs available for adoption that suit everyone's lifestyles. The local rescues are full of staffy and kelpie mixes, and for a good reason - people get them and find they are high energy dogs that aren't really suitable for the way they life their lives. A few of my 'adopt don't shop' friends are very anti-pedigreed dogs too. And yes I know there are good reasons for that sometimes - there are of course issues with a lot of breeds, yes crossbreeds might live longer (if they are a healthy cross breed to start with) and yes there are dogs that need adopting.

But there are also people out there who haven't done their research the way many of us have, who choose a breed because it's cute or trendy or has a funny 'oodle' name and is available in the newspaper that day. But I dislike this notion that all people who own pedigreed dogs are morons who don't care about animals at all. I've said a lot of times, if I could find an ethically bred cross breed puppy that met our needs, I'd get one. But because of puppy farmers, it's pretty impossible. The problem is not that pedigreed dogs are all bad and the people who own them are monsters, it's that people simply don't research before getting a dog. People honestly don't know about puppy farming and responsible breeders and why it matters. And sadly people who have done this research, like most of us here on this forum, get tarred with the same brush, as horrible puppy-farm supporting, unethically breeding monsters who won't adopt a dog because it's not pretty enough.

End rant. You can't win em all, sadly.

I agree redfeather.

There's someone I see every day with two cav x - and she breeds them and sells the puppies and she's friendly and nice to everyone on the beach. I don't think she thinks what she is doing is wrong.

I could try asking her about genetic health testing and follow up with her puppy buyers but I don't think she'd understand.

Her bitch has saggy tits.

I also know a couple who bought some BYB puppies, and their daughter went to the same breeder - cos she liked her parents' dogs so much. Never mind that both these dogs have massive problems with their teeth, their jaws being misaligned - they have coat problems at the nether end - dags and worse, gait problems and both of them have had spinal injuries. But that just happens right? not the breeder's fault? I can't explain to them (the dog owners) either. And they're nice people too.

There's always going to be a need for registered breeders and it would be nice if more rescues could point families in the right direction if they aren't suitable for a rescue dog

I knew a family that wanted a cocker spaniel, it would be an only dog and they had a young daughter, so many of the cockers that come through rescue are very anxious are just not suited to being an only dog, the young child pretty much ruled out the others. Unfortunately they didn't know the right avenues to go about getting a registered puppy and they ended up with a cocker from a well known online source in victoria. I groomed this dog a few weeks ago and having it's first groom at 10 months old I had to use a muzzle.. simply put the dog is fear aggressive which is a far cry from the breed standard temperament. I ended up advising the family to get a muzzle as they were too anxious to brush their dog :(

Well actually - it is the dog owners choice and thanks anyway but Im not up for anyone else determining other wise.

It amazes me that almost everyday there is some niggle towards taking away dog owners and breeders rights and we all just go along with it.

Each year in this country there are tens of thousands of people who breed their dog and now and then a big splash hits the news about some bogon who has done the wrong thing and the answers that are called for is to take away everyone's rights in case we all turn out to be criminals and animal abusers.

every single activity or hobby or occupation has the potential of having some that do the wrong thing but this is even worse than most because those determining the right thing are often narrow in their views and biased.

Just because one person or one group think it should all be done their way doesn't make that the way it should be for everyone.

I am not my dog's guardian - I am its owner .

Edited by Steve

Well I think it should be left up to the experts and I have given my reasons why. I support ethical registered breeders and I think I have made that clear. Without these types of breeders we wouldn't have the purebred dogs we love so much. Having said that I don't expect everyone to agree with me though :)

I prefer "my dog, my responsibility". That's less popular.

When "breeders" take responsibility for health testing, for careful placement of pups, for taking them back when things don't work out and for helping with rescue more generally, then we might begin to talk about "my choice".

Well I think it should be left up to the experts and I have given my reasons why. I support ethical registered breeders and I think I have made that clear. Without these types of breeders we wouldn't have the purebred dogs we love so much. Having said that I don't expect everyone to agree with me though :)

Its great that you are thinking about it and developing your own opinions but not everything is as easy as it seems and you need to be careful about who is doing the pushing - there is a long journey yet in your research before all of the issues can be considered and you can grow in your understanding and knowledge.

This sums up pretty much why Im against the term guardian.

My link

Its great that you are thinking about it and developing your own opinions but not everything is as easy as it seems and you need to be careful about who is doing the pushing - there is a long journey yet in your research before all of the issues can be considered and you can grow in your understanding and knowledge.

This sums up pretty much why Im against the term guardian.

My link

Thank you for your comments,

The flip side of my inexperience is that I am not stymied by labels and terms that may or may not be popular in political dog circles. I wrote my own opinions on something I feel strongly about, this is due to the many problems I see happening in my chosen breed. I see this every day and hear a lot of tragic stories due to this belief that "It's my dog it's my choice" - it certainly was for the person that had a second litter of pups, four of which have Megaesophagus. It was also the same for the "owner" who bred their dog with HD and also the other I met with juvenile cataracts. Not to mention the many with behavioural issues that see them surrendered and destined for the green dream. So my opinion is based on what I see every day at the dog park and as a member of a very large group of husky owners. I have friends with these affected dogs and I know the pain they go through on a daily basis, so you will have to excuse me for being passionate and sharing my opinion.

I don't care what the term is - owner, fur-dad, guardian, boss etc, I use the term owner too, but in this personal opinion piece I argue that a dog is not a toaster or a car to do with what you please, so this is why I attempted to describe what "owner" means to some people . I am fully aware of how ownership is viewed in regards to legality. I really don't think many on this forum would fit into the "owner" category I attempt to describe.

There are so many layers to these issues, I don't know the solution to each layer. I put my thoughts down on the subject yesterday, I stand by them today...hopefully I will learn more and have better ideas or thoughts on these matters in the future.

Incidentally - I wrote this for myself, I decided to share on my personal FB page as most of my friends know I am a mad-dog-guy :-) As an afterthought I decided to post it here despite this being a different audience. So I haven't exercised some sensibilities that I perhaps could have or should have done :)