Therapy Dog Wanted

Natalie Vic

Hello Mini Schnauzer lovers and breeders, I have been annoying many breeders lately as I'm desperately trying to locate a mature female mini as a therapy type dog for my family. My sister is 45 and intellectually disabled and lives at home full time with my retired parents. Her much adored mini passed away NYE last year aged 14. Mum and Dad were going to get her a puppy this year however my darling dad has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and about to start chemo. A puppy would be too hectic for them. I met a lady at the dog park the other day who told me she met someone who has a schnauzer as a Medicaid dog for her epilepsy. My sister also has epilepsy. If there is anyone with some information that may be able to help me in like caring a bomb-proof beautiful and loving mature mini I would be most grateful. I hope someone can help. Thank you.

I imagine you may have to get an adult dog and then train it and get it certified yourself. There are various programs that helps with the certifying.

I agree with megan, my first port of call would be to ask the state schnauzer club.

Fwiw my mini would make a terrible assistance dog. He's a lovely dog and quite smart but he needs direction or he looses his nerve a bit.

I'd also be clear with what it is you really want. Does your sister need to have a dog that can alert to epilepsy (and get certified, have legal rights to entry etc). Or is she looking for a stable companion?

A stable companion is what we'd dearly love, but if there are dogs that alert re seizures then that's a bonus.

I imagine you may have to get an adult dog and then train it and get it certified yourself. There are various programs that helps with the certifying.

I agree with megan, my first port of call would be to ask the state schnauzer club.

Fwiw my mini would make a terrible assistance dog. He's a lovely dog and quite smart but he needs direction or he looses his nerve a bit.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It's not often that adult dogs become available and those that have come up have been interstate, so unable to meet and greet. I have informed those offering their dogs what situation the dog will go into. Hoping they understand the complexities and trusting they do, without us seeing the dog is a huge leap of faith and I'm a little nervous. I also don't want to upset the dog by having to return to original breeder/seller or rehoming. Any advice would be much appreciated. I have both spoken to and emailed Vic Schnauzer club.

Would they consider a Poodle.I know a lady who has a Standard Poodle that alerts her when she is unwell with diabetes problems and she will call for help.

The dog has not had any formal training for this .

I know one also actually. He wasn't trained either at the start, but they did get him fully trained and certified in the end :)

But i just seemed to come naturally to him!

Sorry for the offtopic.gif

Edited by denali

Would they consider a Poodle.I know a lady who has a Standard Poodle that alerts her when she is unwell with diabetes problems and she will call for help.

The dog has not had any formal training for this .

I know one also actually. He wasn't trained either at the start, but they did get him fully trained and certified in the end :)

But i just seemed to come naturally to him!

Yes ;she said he seems to know when something is not right and nudges her face a certain way and will not leave her side.

She has called for help each time and by the time help comes sure enough she is in need of it.

Considering your family's situation, rather than concentrating on a particular breed, you may be better off contacting the various assistance dog organisations to see how they can help your sister after assessing her needs and disabilities. Obviously with so much going on your sister needs a ready made companion!

Furthermore, sometimes when we replace a beloved family member with one of the same breed we can be disappointed if they do not stack up to expectations - what I am trying to say is look for an individual who has the skills, temperament and personality to match up with your sister rather than trying to replicate her former companion :)

Considering your family's situation, rather than concentrating on a particular breed, you may be better off contacting the various assistance dog organisations to see how they can help your sister after assessing her needs and disabilities. Obviously with so much going on your sister needs a ready made companion!

Furthermore, sometimes when we replace a beloved family member with one of the same breed we can be disappointed if they do not stack up to expectations - what I am trying to say is look for an individual who has the skills, temperament and personality to match up with your sister rather than trying to replicate her former companion :)

I couldn't agree more.