Impact Of No Pull Harnesses On Dogs

Salukifan

Just out of interest- what harnesses are recommended?

Not for pulling, but for general use. I find a lot of harness have too much material and seem quite heavy and hot for the dogs.

Any Y-front harness that doesn't impede movement. If you want something with less material the Hurtta Y harness is very lightweight. There are many good Y harnesses in the market that are not bulky.

Chris Zink had a few suggestions here but I think any properly fitted Y fronts would be fine. https://drive.google...RSkU/view?pli=1

Your review of Y front harnesses was very good, You should post it biggrin.gif

And open myself up to DOL criticism?? :laugh:

(Here it is for anyone interested (can't embed) :

)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumabaar what do you think of the Y Front Harnesses with the front attach on them like the Ruff Wear ones? They seem to give full range of shoulder movement but obviously if the dog pulls ahead the dog would be turned towards the owner.

I own and use the Ruff wear ones. Although I haven't actually needed to attach to the front.

It is the harnesses with the flat bar across the front that I avoid.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a natural born puller - Alaskan malamute. We don't use anything but a flat leather collar and lead. He does tend to pull initially so I just change directions until he stops pulling. Had tried a halti on him, but even though I did a lot of getting him used to it in the back yard, he still hated it and pawed it off, somehow getting it stuck on his front leg. Changing directions randomly is more effective for us.

Flame suit time again.

People are asking about alternatives.

Training: great if you can find the right trainer. A total waste of time and money if you find the wrong trainer . . . eg., a self-proclaimed 'dog whisperer'. I've hit trainers who recommend jerking on a choke chain or slip lead. The best trainer I worked with showed me how to use a prong collar and convinced me it wasn't a torture device.

I don't want to train my dogs not to pull. I have a lovely tricycle and the dogs like to pull it. I just don't want them to dislocate my shoulder when some interesting critter crosses the track, or one of the neighborhood dogs hits the fence with ruff raised, barking messages that say fight. (I walk three 25-30 kg dogs together so they pull with some force).

I find a prong collar does the trick wonderfully. (They are not only legal, but sold in most pet stores and feed stores where I live). The really big bonus is that the dog learns not to pull against the lead after a few weeks or months of use . . . but continues to pull against a harness if you want them to pull.

Edited by sandgrubber

I've never considered a harness and we're not allowed to use them at obedience training anyway. However, no amount of training has got Roo to walk on a loose lead. He was okay a couple of times but not anymore. For a six month old puppy he's immensely strong and I'm very tired of walking a step, sticking food in his mouth, walking another step, sticking food in his mouth. As soon as I stop, he pulls. For those who say 'just train your dog' I say, you come and try. The other one is 'just use better treats'.

Sheridan .. I would be using a chain collar .... nothing to pull AGAINST, when used as it should be , as it hangs nice & loose :)

Also can't use a chain at obedience! I use a small chain currently and have a snake that he'll grow into eventually but is change doesn't stop him pulling.

Edited by Sheridan