Breed Recommendations Please

aussielover

Where are they Aussie? Happy for them to meet my lot - I'm heading to NSW next week as well. All those breeds are energetic - depending on lines of course - but they need brain games. I love how my ESS settle in the house but I do daily training. Working ESS coats are soo easy. Working cockers are small and INTENSE. Different to the ESS. Personally I find the girls a little crazier. Gotta rush - will check in later.

They're in kiama. I keep hearing different opinions of the working spaniels! A few have said that ESS are full on, working dogs only. But I've also heard cockers are more busy and less focussed, so it's hard to know!

In terms of size and "look" they're spot on. It's just the high drive and no off switch that worries me. I'd actually quite like one for agility but they aren't interested in doing any of that so 80% of the time the dog wouldn't get much "work".

I've also heard working cockers are very intense, they aren't particularly common and the ones that are out there are definitely bred to work so it's a bit different to finding a less intense border collie or kelpie.

Is there any reason your parents are against regular grooming? A typical cocker spaniel would fit that environment well and providing it has regular grooms would dry off pretty quickly. I find cockers that have been left entire generally don't have as much coat as the ones that were desexed young as well.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where are they Aussie? Happy for them to meet my lot - I'm heading to NSW next week as well. All those breeds are energetic - depending on lines of course - but they need brain games. I love how my ESS settle in the house but I do daily training. Working ESS coats are soo easy. Working cockers are small and INTENSE. Different to the ESS. Personally I find the girls a little crazier. Gotta rush - will check in later.

They're in kiama. I keep hearing different opinions of the working spaniels! A few have said that ESS are full on, working dogs only. But I've also heard cockers are more busy and less focussed, so it's hard to know!

In terms of size and "look" they're spot on. It's just the high drive and no off switch that worries me. I'd actually quite like one for agility but they aren't interested in doing any of that so 80% of the time the dog wouldn't get much "work".

I've also heard working cockers are very intense, they aren't particularly common and the ones that are out there are definitely bred to work so it's a bit different to finding a less intense border collie or kelpie.

Is there any reason your parents are against regular grooming? A typical cocker spaniel would fit that environment well and providing it has regular grooms would dry off pretty quickly. I find cockers that have been left entire generally don't have as much coat as the ones that were desexed young as well.

Yes, working cockers are quite variable and are funny little pocket rockets. The thing I love about Em is her off switch. Spends a LOT of time snuggled on the couch but is always up for action - I can leave the back of the car open at a retrieving trial and she's so quiet people have asked if she's sick. Then explodes when the leash goes on :laugh: Ginny is pretty full on but her brothers are more easy going. Strong noses though and you do need to work on recalls around birds.

Kiama is a bit far off the track for me - driving Mel-Goulbourn-Taree. Certainly I've seen some working Soringers that have no off switch in the house. However when they are out and about they are incredibly motivated to scent - that is enough of a reward which is why they suit programs searching for particular weeds in bushland or eliminating that last rabbit!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

In terms of going overseas, it's only 10 days in quarantine now, the main consideration would be cost as it is a few thousand each way. But most likely would stay with me. My already gets 2hrs of exercise on average plus agility training so that wouldn't be an issue.

Whippet- I am not sure if they would be robust enough? Do they generally chase balls and enjoy swimming and lots of exercise? Some good Whippet breeders south of Sydney.

They also want a quiet dog that isn't going to bark a lot as they are in a town house type situation so that's why kelpie isn't on the list! Otherwise I agree would be a good fit.

They are after a fairly easily trained dog so unfortunately I think a beagle and most of the terriers would be beyond them as they've only had experience with gundogs and working breeds who live to please you (or get a treat!).

Depending on the country of origin, the process to import a dog starts up to six months from the date of import. Any idea you can flit to and fro any country but NZ needs to be rethought. Unless you are Johnny Depp :flame:

Whippets are pretty tough. Yes, they like chasing balls. Returning with them is optional but some do. They love long walks and zoomies on the beach. Some love to swim - mine do.

My reservation with a Spaniel and beach walks is that they do take a long time to dry and water and spaniel ears can be problematic - they were bred to work upcountry for the most part, not for water work. I have a friend with working ESS and they have far less coat than the show ones. They aren't crazed exercise addicts - they have an off switch.

I have never met a Cocker Spaniel that wasn't fond of the sound of its own voice - they "twitter" and they bark.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Tibetan Terrier!

They love excercise, full of energy, sociable, no shed coat aside from puppy blow but does get long and either needs brushing or regular grooming (so that doesn't meet the requirement), bit smaller than a medium dog - upto 12kg.

Our girl is equally happy on a long walk or lazing on the couch. Loves people and other dogs. Not sure how she feels about swimming yet, but did really enjoy our visit to the off leash beach.

Pretty smart breed, willing to be trained for treats. Sometimes slightly too smart.

...our 10 month border collie (female, just hit the 16 kg mark, short hair) would tick most of the boxes, but she (I guess all BCs) are very, very energetic and just 2x1 hour walk per day wouldn't keep her busy / entertained. Beside the obedience training we started now with agility - for the time she is alone in the garden herding our Guinea pigs keeps her entertained. So the small garden of your parents might be the issue here.

Not many whippets down the beach - maybe because they're easily distracted by the rabbits and cats and foxes in the adjacent dunes... not to mention the seagulls.

There was one lady who quit coming to the beach with her cocker spaniel because it would fixate on a seagull and follow it back to the roost - 20km that way... along the beach.

But she didn't want to train it either. You know where you start in low distraction environment with lots of rewards and gradually build up to the beach with Olympic level distractions...

Maybe a female vizsla would meet requirements - I see a few of those at the beach, not sure what they weigh tho. The females are usually smaller than the males. They've got short quick dry coats and they tend to stick with their owners and they get along well with all the other dogs at the beach.

There was one lady who quit coming to the beach with her cocker spaniel because it would fixate on a seagull and follow it back to the roost - 20km that way... along the beach.

...that's another advantage with our BC...she never runs off far, especially if we walk her with the kids as her herding instinct kicks in ... :)

Where do people get the impression that working spaniels have no off switch? It is all about training. When they have a job to do they give 110%, when the job is finished they curl up and go to sleep.

I think everyone here has met a working dog who has perhaps not been trained to have that off switch, as they don't come preprogrammed in my experience. And no one wants to see a dog who needs a job left without one, that's miserable for everyone. Best to prepare for worst case scenario than best!

Edited by Steph M

Where do people get the impression that working spaniels have no off switch? It is all about training. When they have a job to do they give 110%, when the job is finished they curl up and go to sleep.

But what if they don't have a job to do?

I know that an off switch must be trained to some degree in most dogs.

Can they be happy without significant mental stimulation or "work"?

Edited by aussielover

All dogs needs mental stimulation. It comes down to how intelligent the individual dog is. A smart dog will require more. (Regardless of breed)

Edited by workcocker1983

All dogs needs mental stimulation. It comes down to how intelligent the individual dog is. A smart dog will require more. (Regardless of breed)

But there's stimulation, playing a game of hide and seek etc and there are dogs who have centuries of drive to work behind them that need that harnessed in some way.

For example mine get mental stimulation from a Kong or a milk carton full of treats in the morning combined with a nice big walk in the afternoon and maybe a swim, they're pretty simple creatures and I'd tick that box and say they get enough stimulation for them each day, whereas if I owned an LGD or a really driven Collie I'd be failing them pretty hard with just that in a lot of cases. I don't have a job for a collie, or right now the time or energy to simulate that work.

Long story short I'm thinking mental stimulation and work are two different things. You can fulfill one and fail the other.

Edited by Steph M

But there's stimulation, playing a game of hide and seek etc and there are dogs who have centuries of drive to work behind them that need that harnessed in some way.

For example mine get mental stimulation from a Kong or a milk carton full of treats in the morning combined with a nice big walk in the afternoon and maybe a swim, they're pretty simple creatures and I'd tick that box and say they get enough stimulation for them each day, whereas if I owned an LGD or a really driven Collie I'd be failing them pretty hard with just that in a lot of cases. I don't have a job for a collie, or right now the time or energy to simulate that work.

Long story short I'm thinking mental stimulation and work are two different things. You can fulfill one and fail the other.

I think what workcocker means is that the mental stimulation needed depends on the dog - more intelligent and driven dogs will need more. My Kelpies get a couple of short training sessions (tug + relationship building + agility and/or body awareness) as well as a walk a day (which includes another short training session when we get to the park), agility training classes once a week, agility competitions once or twice a month.

Ah! Makes sense, I guess what I was getting at (now I've thought a bit more and got a clearer idea) is that what most public people consider to be mental stimulation, IE a walk, a drive, a Kong or a quick basic training session might not be enough for a dog who really needs a specific job to do and has a lot of drive for a certain thing, even if you're at it for hours.

I can assure you you do a lot more with your dogs than I do with mine! (admittedly not sharp critters) I'm looking out the window and my OH has somehow hauled Gus the flat coat into the hammock with him and I suspect both are staying there all day, haha.