Showing Your Dog Empty Hands

hankdog

Do you have to show your dog empty hands when you finish eating so they stop looking mournful. I feel really bad and often end up giving something that I didn't intend to because I imagine how helpless Jake must feel not being in control of what he gets to eat whilst I wander around having whatever I choose. What else do your dogs guilt you into?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I eat what I want, when I want. My dog gets what he gets. I give him treats but I'm not bribed. I have a shiba. You can't bribe a shiba... sigh...

Are you trying to tell me you don't even get the sad eyes or purposeful sighs while you eat? What witchcraft is this?!

I do this too! Two of mine will watch hopefully while people eat (despite never being given scraps) but the third will purposefully face away from you (sometimes you see him turn his head juuuuust enough so he can glimpse you from the corner of his eye :laugh: ). I show empty hands and say "no more" and they go find something better to do.

No, I eat what I want, when I want. My dog gets what he gets. I give him treats but I'm not bribed. I have a shiba. You can't bribe a shiba... sigh...

Are you trying to tell me you don't even get the sad eyes or purposeful sighs while you eat? What witchcraft is this?!

Hahaha, I usually get Quinn sitting opposite me resting her chin on the coffee table, Saxon next to me in a 'beg' and Riley under the table lying against my leg. I have no sympathy, I know exactly how much food, treats, plates to lick, chewies and stuffed Kongs they get. They are not deprived!

Mine never get people food or scraps from our plates or the table but that doesn't stop them sitting with their heads in our laps giving us desperate eyes from under the table while we are trying to eat.

Stussy is probably the worst. She has a very long tongue and if I am eating at the computer table (which is lower) I will sometimes see (out of the corner of my eye) her lizard tongue trying to drag the plate closer to the edge or trying to connect with something tasty on the side of my plate.

And you don't ever want to walk with a sandwich in your hand and accidentally drop that sandwich filled hand to your side. She considers that at her level and fair game. Usually the item is swallowed in one big gulp so even though she is excellent at the 'leave' command there is nothing but crumbs.

Edited by Little Gifts

empty hands? who cares - let me do the plate pre rinse for you!

yep both empty hands and the plate pre rinse here.... my birth mother used to be horrified.. but the plate go in the dishwasher and washed a high heat..

results is happy me, happy dogs and clean plates

H

She'll offer some tricks then sigh and go lay on her bed, staring at me. Sometimes she drools.

I've never given her food from my plate and don't intend to start or she'll never leave me alone XD

She tried to take a sandwitch from my hand once, that I was eating. I threw it out so she doesn't think discreetly licking it = hers now. Nope!

Edited by Thistle the dog

As a kid all our plates got pre rinsed by the dogs. I was never able to understand why we then had to go through the whole wash and dry thing.

Although Jake always has to do a trick to get something he has never just offered a trick to get something. I've been mindful to not use the bark in command for food but all he does is stare at you, I'm just such a soft touch.

If we are eating & the dogs approach us we just say "go away I am eating" & the dogs go away, lie down & watch...but we never pay them any attention while we are eating & they accept that. I can't stand going to places & the dogs hang around the table. If I am doing tricks with them & giving treats, then when the session is over, I just say "that'le do" & show them my empty hands. It's always good to let the dog know when a training/play session has finished & they are free to go & do whatever they like. :)