Anthropomorphism.

Better Late

Happily donning my flame proof suit here but I needed to share something that is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read. It was a description posted about a dog by a rescue group and I honestly could not believe what I was reading, as in my mind it does the dog absolutely no favours at all. I'd be worried about someone reading this and taking on a dog that they have no real idea about what they're getting into.

I'm not saying every rescue is like this, I know they're most certainly not, but this level of anthropomorphism is detrimental at best and a bit worrying.

""I’ve come a long way…..and have wanted to put the needs of my babies and the other puppies first in finding loving homes…..but now I have to ask for me – Is there anyone out there that could love me forever?

You might remember me – my name is Rosie and I am the very proud Mum of 4 little girls – now not so little! Yes, we came from a junkyard environment, but please don’t be put off by my recent humble background – I am a pedigree GSD girl and I still hold my head high! The embedded chain that tore my neck open has been removed, and the continuous love and attention from my foster Mum and my Doctor for the last two weeks has seen my neck wound heal fairly quickly. I overheard that my ‘bills’ –whatever that is - are high – and I’m not sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing?

I do know that I have been feeling so much better – I don’t have to worry about the pain and the stress of trying to protect my babies any longer….and I have enjoyed the comfort of a real home for the first time in my life - it has been absolute heaven for me!! But, again I overheard my ‘people’ talking last night and they can’t keep me….. and while I have been through so much without a tear shed….I have to admit I cried when I heard this and was afraid that I was going to be sent back to the junkyard. I have since learned that this is not the case, that I haven’t done anything wrong - I was so worried that I had done something to make my people stop loving me – but my foster Mum told me it wasn’t me at all – she loves me dearly but cannot keep 7 dogs in the house. We had a bit of a cry together … but then I came up with a great idea!! We could ask the 3 youngest to leave! Unfortunately, my foster Mum said that wouldn’t be fair…..and as much as it saddened me – I agreed. My foster Mum promised me she would find me the perfect home with people who would love me forever ….but I am afraid – what if no one likes or wants me?

I know I’m not a cute little puppy, and yes, I am 4 years old – but there is a lot of puppy left in me I promise! I’ve been told I have the most sweetest and loving nature despite the neglect I experienced, and that I am truly beautiful in appearance and in my soul. I am naturally protective of my Foster Mum as she has done so much for me….and would show the same loyalty, love and devotion to anyone who would care for me and love me back.

My foster mum believes that I am a very special girl who deserves the very best of homes so she will be looking for the following for me:

- A large yard for me to play in

- An adult household or at least no young children or babies

- Preferably one with no cats (personally I love to chase cats and I’d like to have lots of them to chase)

- If you have a nice doggie that would like me….I’d love a companion.

- A home where I am part of the family – which means I can be inside with you when we're not walking or playing

- I can sleep beside your bed – or on it (which I prefer)

- Someone who understands what I have been through…and would take pleasure in showing me that there is a whole world out there full of new people, new smells, and things like swimming in lakes and going to beaches – not sure what they are but my foster mum says I will love it

- I can have lots of treats, cuddles, people food, lots of walks, sleep on your bed, on the couch and on your lap, ride shotgun in the car, tell the postman I’m watching him, chase cats and the neighbour’s cats …..oops this is my list :)

My foster mum says that it is urgent that we find a foster home for me – she would prefer a foster to adopt home for me – I think that is where you come to love me overnight and want me to stay forever and ever and I really like this idea too! But I am willing to show you, while you foster me, 10,000 reasons why you will never want me to leave.

So, can you help me? Pleeeease !! I have my bags packed already….I have food, my new toys, my new collar and lead, my new blankie…….I just need you!

I promise I will be really, really good, and show you that despite my hardships to date, I really am a ‘special girl ‘ and have the most loving, happy, playful, and devoted nature. I am waiting to hear from you…..please call soon!

Love Rosie xxxxxx"

I'm on my phone right now so I won't type too much out about what really annoys me about all of this, but I'd love to know what you think.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthropomorphism = a term widely used in the scientific community to justify the horrific treatment of animals in so many totally unnecessary scientific trials.

That said, while I think that the background [novel ??!!] story on this dog is quite overdone and, by being so, it might put people off, if it works and gets the dogs a good home, why not?

I don't mind cutesy adverts but this one is far too long and I don't like using abuse details to tug at people's heart strings. I think they could explain a dogs background to give an overall picture of where it is at right now and if the rescuer needs to share more with potential adopters privately then so be it. A dog should have value on its own merits, not because of its tragic past.

I think there's enough in that to sucker in your average sucker and make someone feels super special about adopting the dog.

I think it's time for some of these rescue people to get real and state the facts about where the dog has come from, the amount of work the new owner is going to need to put in to enable this animal to become well adjusted and happy.

Clearly state the dog is not suitable for a home with cats or young children.

Provide decent advice on diet and maintenance if they really feel the need to go down that road at all in an ad.

The dog is going to need a firm but kind hand, not some numpty who laments over its past and fails the dogs.

Yes, the ad is short on actual information about what the dog is like and what she will really need in a new home. The phrase "I am naturally protective of my foster mum" worries me - what does that mean exactly? Does she have aggression issues that will need work and management?

I don't like using her past as a sob story either, or the number of times "foster mum loves me but cannot keep me". That seems manipulative to me, and like Wreckit says, the dog doesn't need someone taking her on with "oh poor little sweetie baby" attitude.

I don't mind cutesy adverts but this one is far too long and I don't like using abuse details to tug at people's heart strings. I think they could explain a dogs background to give an overall picture of where it is at right now and if the rescuer needs to share more with potential adopters privately then so be it. A dog should have value on its own merits, not because of its tragic past.

I think there's enough in that to sucker in your average sucker and make someone feels super special about adopting the dog.

I think it's time for some of these rescue people to get real and state the facts about where the dog has come from, the amount of work the new owner is going to need to put in to enable this animal to become well adjusted and happy.

Clearly state the dog is not suitable for a home with cats or young children.

Provide decent advice on diet and maintenance if they really feel the need to go down that road at all in an ad.

The dog is going to need a firm but kind hand, not some numpty who laments over its past and fails the dogs.

Yes, the ad is short on actual information about what the dog is like and what she will really need in a new home. The phrase "I am naturally protective of my foster mum" worries me - what does that mean exactly? Does she have aggression issues that will need work and management?

I don't like using her past as a sob story either, or the number of times "foster mum loves me but cannot keep me". That seems manipulative to me, and like Wreckit says, the dog doesn't need someone taking her on with "oh poor little sweetie baby" attitude.

Agree with all of these posts. I wouldn’t put it down as “anthropomorphism”; I would put it down to excessiveness on the part of the rescue group. Perhaps the group/person is one of those who, to use DOL vernacular, saves anything with a pulse.

I'm not keen on the novel. Much prefer they just state her background, any issues, her personality, any training, dog/cat issues or not, what to expect...what kind of dog this is cause otherwise she may just end up back in the system because the ppl didn't know she was "protective" of her owners or something :/

Then maybe at the end a couple of throw away lines about how "I'm looking forward to being in your family" or something.

I switch off from these sorts of profiles, I find them gag worthy and inexplicably Pee Me Off. Possibly because anyone that would buy that kind of sickly sweet 'feel sorry' for me dialogue, is probably not someone with the sense enough to truly meet what the dog needs.

I reckon probably make a lot of work sorting through prospective homes too. How committed are the new owners going to be if they took on a dog with issues with the rose tinted glasses on, only to find the fantasy of 'saving a poor soul' was going to mean a lot of time, money and hard work? I can see it know...two weeks later...a phone call to the Rescue..."I'm sorry, we can't cope. We just want what's best for her, she doesn't suit our home".

Anthropomorphism = a term widely used in the scientific community to justify the horrific treatment of animals in so many totally unnecessary scientific trials.

That said, while I think that the background [novel ??!!] story on this dog is quite overdone and, by being so, it might put people off, if it works and gets the dogs a good home, why not?

Agree!!!! Horrid term.

I haven't read the whole thing, it's lame. Too long and soppy. But writing in 1st person (as the dog) can be quite effective if a little gag-worthy and trite. Depends on your audience and I'd say the rescue has the kind of audience who responds to that or they wouldn't bother.

Definitely a worry if they can't back up the fluff with some actual effective assessment techniques and rehoming strategies for this dog.

I completely agree SG. It's a bit of a red flag for me. I have seen so many times people misinterpreting aggressive behaviour as 'protectiveness'.

I don't like it at all, it makes me cringe. It is an incredibly clumsy attempt to emotionally manipulate people into being interested in the dog.

I think its just as likely to turn people off as make them interested.

I agree it's cringe worthy and I wouldn't write a profile that way, but I think you'd be surprised how many people like that kind of thing :/ . I know working at a shelter, that type of description would attract a lot of potential adopters.

Edited by Dame Aussie

As a working line German Shepherd with a dubious background that description makes me cringe. She doesn't need the sort of people who fall for that kind of con. Con, is not the right word but I can't think of what other one to use. She needs a breed (or type of breed) experienced home who doesn't live in the past and baby her for having a bad upbringing, but someone who can move her forward to become a regular dog. I guess they did this as locally most people know what went on and that is where this add was placed as I saw it when I searched locally. If I wasn't already over my dog quota I would consider applying for her to keep her out of the wrong hands. But that said the rescue group is experienced in Belgians so should be amply capable of weeding out the wrong homes.

Not sure if media cover it elsewhere (but ignore this if it was and everyone knows her story}. It was a case of WL GSD puppy mill in a filthy shed with this dog chained (embedded) and her puppies living in the mess. A few other dogs were taken as well. Apparently the rescue convinced the owners to sell/give them the dogs and they promised to stop breeding so no law involvement. There was no reports of actual physical abuse (as in beating) just neglect.

Edited by pepe001

Reading past the cutesy fluff, I pick up a few concerning issues... but I've been in the rescue game a while - whereas the average Joe might not see the warning signs there.

Big thing that popped out at me was the 2 weeks since the chain was removed and treatment for the wounds started... and that she'd been busy raising her pups at the same time?

The protective of foster carer bit is a red flag, as is the chasing cats (the neighbour's cat specifically) part... and I only skimmed the too long story...

I'm all for the first person advertising, but too much back story, focusing on the hardships prior to coming into rescue, or fluffing over things that will be a problem is a bit rich for me.

T.

Oooh I found them! Leo is gorgeous :o:heart::heart:

She's with breed specific .... I'd have to assume there is experience behind the rehomings. If the description and lovely photos get some attention then they could sift through the inquiries from there.