Raw Feeding Issue. Too Much Bone?

laeral

Don't be too hard on yourself - the fact you feed raw and go to trouble to feed raw shows you care. I'd just go back to what she was eating before if she was doing well on it.

And avoid the dry food marketing hype. And just to convince yourself, get a piece of dry food and crush it between your fingers and have a really good look at it. And ask yourself 'Would I like to eat that heavily processed stuff day in day out'? And whats in it that you can't see that makes dogs want to eat it? eek1.gif Scary stuff. I'd much rather see my westies tuck into whole food anyway!! Good luck.thumbsup1.gif

I agree about increasing the meat content fairly substantially, frames and wings can be pretty high in bone content. I would ease right up on the bone for a little while to give her gut a rest, then gradually increase the amount again. As others have mentioned, mashed pumpkin is a good (and soothing) additive to increase soluble fibre, or also that frozen spinach that comes in a block at the supermarket lol. I find hearts, tongues (lamb or ox), giblets/gizzards, whole chicken or even marylands, cheap chuck or blade beef and on-sale tins of tuna/salmon/sardines are a nice way to increase the meat content economically.

Also completely agree with Haredown Whippet's comment - there are plenty of dogs that do better on raw and plenty that do better on a balanced, good quality dry food.

I agree about increasing the meat content fairly substantially, frames and wings can be pretty high in bone content. I would ease right up on the bone for a little while to give her gut a rest, then gradually increase the amount again. As others have mentioned, mashed pumpkin is a good (and soothing) additive to increase soluble fibre, or also that frozen spinach that comes in a block at the supermarket lol. I find hearts, tongues (lamb or ox), giblets/gizzards, whole chicken or even marylands, cheap chuck or blade beef and on-sale tins of tuna/salmon/sardines are a nice way to increase the meat content economically.

Also completely agree with Haredown Whippet's comment - there are plenty of dogs that do better on raw and plenty that do better on a balanced, good quality dry food.

And a not insubstantial proportion of dogs that do well on a combination. It doesn't have to be choice between the two. I'm loving the idea that feeding kibble requires you to only feed that each and every day. laugh.gif

Bottom line, feed your dog what it does best on. If it become apparent than all raw ISN'T what it does best on then change the diet. Dogs won't give a toss if your 'principles' have to be compromised to give them what they need.

Oh forgot to suggest physilium husk. Often used to increase fibre in a diet. Can be bought at the supermarket.

What the OP needs is helpful suggestions that won't break the bank, not a lecture of the evils of kibble. I think its best to stay focussed on providing suggestions (which I have) and to assure her that feeding some kibble, if that is the best solution for her, is not the end of the world. Some of those diabolical kibble companies actually make kibble for mature dogs and there is one for GSDs that I know of.

And yes, I used to be a dyed in the wool, fanatical raw feeder. Then along came a dog that didn't give a toss about my raw feeding philosophy and would rather have starved than eaten my carefully prepared BARF mix. Now I feed a mix of RMBs and kibble and you know what, it works for me. It might for the OP's dog too if people weren't hellbent on using this thread to push their own barrows.

Yes, dogs in the wild didn't eat cooked food or grain. I don't recall them taking supplements or cracking coconuts either. Feed what yu want to feed but don't let your ideals get in the way of a dog getting the diet IT needs folks.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Coincidently did you exercise her any less ?

You know what, she wasn't being walked much at all due to the hours I was away. I'm sure that had an impact as well!

Can you feed dogs drumsticks? I though weight bearing bones were a no go?

You know what, she wasn't being walked much at all due to the hours I was away. I'm sure that had an impact as well!

They're normally talking about weight bearing bones on the bigger animals that can't be digested. My dogs don't have any difficulty with them.

Thank you so much everyone for your ideas and suggestions, it's fantasic!

Just to be clear, I would never compromise my dogs health due to cost concerns or my ideals on what she should be fed. I am just trying to be reasonable about what I can afford. She has always done so well on raw that I am reluctant to change to kibble now, without trying some modifications first. If as she ages, she can't tolerate a raw diet so well, I would definily look at kibble. It's just that I would prefer to keep her on raw if I can.

You have all given me so much to think about. I think I really did get carried away with the amount of bone I was feeding her, and she wasn't exercising as much as usual. Totally my fault.

Thanks to all of your suggestions I have had a good look at her meal plan and come up with a bit of a plan.

Mornings - I will cut back her meaty bones to 3 or 4 times a week, ensuring that she gets meatier bones, like drumstick .! The other mornings will be roo meat or hearts. I will talk to my butcher and see what he has on offer. I love the idea of getting the butcher to mince up the liver! I hate cutting it up!

Evenings will still be the usual veggies with a bit of yoghurt, but I will increase the amount of veggies for more fibre. I will also add in pumpkin and maybe some oil. Currently she only gets sardines once a week, so may increase that to two or some salmon/tuna. And she also will get liver once a week, plus her joint supplement.

I think she would LOVE the whole chicken idea!

This week she is restricted to boiled chicken breast, rice and some digestive tin food the vet prescribed to give her insides some time to heal.

Thanks again to everyone, I always learn so much here!

Thank you so much everyone for your ideas and suggestions, it's fantasic!

Just to be clear, I would never compromise my dogs health due to cost concerns or my ideals on what she should be fed. I am just trying to be reasonable about what I can afford. She has always done so well on raw that I am reluctant to change to kibble now, without trying some modifications first. If as she ages, she can't tolerate a raw diet so well, I would definily look at kibble. It's just that I would prefer to keep her on raw if I can.

I'm sure you can. However if her exercises is restricted. bad weather, car trips, stay off the RMBs. That should do the trick.

Yes, dogs in the wild didn't eat cooked food or grain. I don't recall them taking supplements or cracking coconuts either. Feed what yu want to feed but don't let your ideals get in the way of a dog getting the diet IT needs folks.

...that's actually not correct, yes, no cooked food, but wild dogs and their ancestors eat and ate grass and grain as they often eat / ate the total prey, with the stomach and its content. There are / were times when prey is / was rare, hence, due to evolution, they got nutrients even from the full stomach of a dear, rabbit, antelope etc.... so while meat might be the preferred food, the dog's digestion system allows also to digest grass and grains. So feeding your dog with dry food that also contains some fiber / grains is actually quite a natural diet.

They are not considered weight bearing on poultry :) They are light enough to allow flight so definitely not too hard for a dog to crunch through. They are referring to the long bones of sheep, cattle, pigs etc

They're normally talking about weight bearing bones on the bigger animals that can't be digested. My dogs don't have any difficulty with them.

Great to know. She would love drumsticks or Marylands.

...that's actually not correct, yes, no cooked food, but wild dogs and their ancestors eat and ate grass and grain as they often eat / ate the total prey, with the stomach and its content. There are / were times when prey is / was rare, hence, due to evolution, they got nutrients even from the full stomach of a dear, rabbit, antelope etc.... so while meat might be the preferred food, the dog's digestion system allows also to digest grass and grains. So feeding your dog with dry food that also contains some fiber / grains is actually quite a natural diet.

There is now research/observations to suggest that the stomach content is shaken out before eating. So it is still up to you what you believe biggrin.gif

Great to know. She would love drumsticks or Marylands.

My cavaliers eat both of these no worries :) So your GSD should be fine!