Tool To Grind Nails

nazzri

I got given a Dremel for my birthday (love a husband who will buy me power tools for the dogs). Love it. Lots of different speeds and heads, and is a rechargeable battery which means it's cordless with a light. Which is great because two of mine are happy to lie down and have me work, including the one who screams at the clippers, the others prefer to stand so no cords and the light makes it easier to maneuver it into position.

I have a Dremel Stylus and I hate it. It's awkward to use and for all the noise it makes, it's not very powerful. It's the second of the Dremel brand I've tried and honestly, I'm at a loss as to why anyone would recommend them.

Of the three grinders I have (Dremel, Oster and Wahl), the Wahl nail grinder is my favourite. It doesn't do that whining noise that seems to freak dogs out, it's absurdly powerful* and really easy to use.

That said, I have a breed that grows incredibly thick, hard nails so the grinder has to be very good to cope with that sort of job. If you want to grind the nails of something with thin little nails.. I guess it probably doesn't matter so much.

*Accidentally touched it to one of my thumb nails once while using it and in a split second, a massive chunk of my nail disappeared in a tiny cloud of nail dust.

haha, well i was set on the dremel, but i'll go into bunnings as they have the ozito and the dremel, and take a look. By the looks of it the ozito is the favourite, and it is significantly cheaper than the dremel so i might go for that one. thanks again guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for starting this thread. I didn't realise there was an alternative to cutting the nails.

Mine used to tolerate nail trims but the last time we went to the vet to get them done, the vet nurse took them away without me to trim them.

When she bought them back she told me the youngest would need to be sedated next time and the oldest needed a muzzle.

Dogs have never growled at a person before.

Both dogs were highly distressed when they got back to me and have been hard to hold to trim nails since.

Log story short after reading this thread I went to bunnings and bought an ozito.

It's only taken 3 sessions for both dogs to tolerate the grinder happily. The flexible attachment has made it so much easier to use.

I have a Oster nail grinder and find it quite useless. It is not powerful enough and takes a long time to do all the nails which stresses my girl.

What brand is the most powerful out of all that has been suggested? My dogs breeder uses a Dremel and seems to by happy with it.

My dog has very thick black nails so they are hard to cut and I have cut the quick once which was terrible :(

Thanks.

I have a Oster nail grinder and find it quite useless. It is not powerful enough and takes a long time to do all the nails which stresses my girl.

What brand is the most powerful out of all that has been suggested? My dogs breeder uses a Dremel and seems to by happy with it.

My dog has very thick black nails so they are hard to cut and I have cut the quick once which was terrible :(

Thanks.

Traditonal power cord Dremel. Mine is four years old and going strong.