Max Temperature You Walk Your Dog In?

samoyedman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid 20s+ I'll only go in the early mornings or evenings and then I'll feel the cement and asphalt first and make sure it's not hot. So this week we've been doing evening walks and did a bit of Treibball training inside today.

Where I was living the last 5 years in summer we would get a few weeks of 40+ and it would be too hot as soon as the sun had risen.

I took the dog swimming in the river every morning instead.

I generally only go first thing in the morning in summer for daily walk. The place we walk has part by a shallow river and the paddocks all have troughs, so the dogs can get in and out of they like. So if I feel like a walk after work in summer we just walk by the river and they splash around. Or take them to the forest where it is shady and cool. On quite hot days (30+) rather than keep them inside all day we will drive them to somewhere they can have a good swim.

I would not walk them on the pavement at all in the summer during the day, just on grass.

I dont cope with the heat very well either now and poor little Feather, it doesn't even have to be hot for her to be wobbly, sort of fainty, just the sun shining on her seems to bring it on. The other day it was a sunny 14c and she got the wobbles in the sun. I picked her up and carried her to the shade and lay her down on the cool grass and she immediately recovered. We all try to avoid anything over 30, I'd prefer it to only be about 25c max these days. Maybe I should move to Tassie.

I will run my Goldie in the early morning cool if it's going to be hot, but I feel if us humans are ok for it, she's fine to go for a walk anytime of the day.

We stick to the shade though, because I can't stand the full sun on a hot day, so I imagine it'd be very unpleasant with all that fur! I feel that as long as she is hydrated, we are only walking and stay out of the full sun it's preferable that we get outside rather than sloth in the heat at home.

We are evening/nighttime walkers and take both the temperature and humidity into account but as a general rule if it's still sitting above 25 degrees then we give walking a miss.

Our dogs have never not wanted to go but they struggle to cool down so I've always been extra cautious. Missing a walk is no big deal but them overheating is. Now that Kira is old I am even more conservative with her. Though I went for a run last night and she got super excited when I put my sneakers on and then super pissed off when she didn't get a walk.

Early morning walks here. But I find that the tolerance depends on how fast it gets hot so the recent run of ridiculously hot weather where the increase was so sudden was very tough even early in the morning. Whereas if there's a slow increase, the greys manage better. Bindis are our biggest issue. :mad

I was reminded of this topic when I saw someone out walking their dog across the road and on the footpath (neither of which were shaded) in the middle of the 35 degree day we had recently in Melbourne. The dog didn't look too distressed, but I wonder how hot all that asphalt and concrete was on its paws.

At least it was a short-haired breed.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything over 25 degrees. We have a malamute so are very conscious over him getting too hot. Even on a day that was 16 degrees, I got hot and sweaty and called time on the walk. I always physically check the ground temperature to see how hot it would be on his feet.

I took my Lappy for a walk yesterday when it was just over 30 degrees, but I think it may have been a tad too hot for both us in retrospect. Today it's forecast to be 34 or 35 degrees so the monster is inside when he would normally be outside. Ideally I'd stay home with him but alas I have too much work to do. On days like today I'd like to get up early and walk before it gets hot but that didn't happen today either.

Since I'm pretty heat intolerant, I follow a general rule that if it's too hot for me, it's too hot for him...

We walk in any weather, if it's feeling really hot I will walk somewhere shady with water so Elsie can swim. Ping doesn't seem bothered by the heat at all. Elsie will give herself heat stroke chasing rabbits so we avoid walking in the bunny spots when it is really, really hot... Even though there is water there she will just run and run and run until you put her on lead and make her stay still and in the shade.

Having black double coated dogs, we love to walk in the morning. Being a giant sook, I hate walking in the evening on hot days because I get eaten alive by the mosquitoes. So we will play in the clam shell pools and with the sprinklers in the late afternoon, early evening.

I will not walk them above 30 degrees, because Zeph is all muscle and does not stop. He will overheat. Dee is a lot more sensible, or is that just plain lazy. I am in two minds over that one.

They both love to swim, so places with running water are priority in summer. I swear Zeph is part water diviner. He can find cool wet anywhere. And it doesn't have to be clean.

20151007_141900_zpsx8ann2vm.jpg

29092013303_zpsoxm3gpw5.jpg