Dogs Instead Of Kids

Ashling

I have two kids and 5 dogs along with lots of other creatures. I had my dogs and still wanted kids - no more than two as that is the limit my mental health allows.

The dogs are easier than the kids, but the kids are getting a bit older now so are getting easier and easier.....until they hit their teens.............

another one here for "dogs instead" no kids :)

I, also, from quite a young age did not want to have children, don't get me wrong I think they are amazing and a miracle but not for this little black duck!!!

Edited by biker girl

I always assumed I would have kids because that seemed to be what people did. Where the dog has come into it, after toilet training a puppy in the middle of the night...(which my OH conveniently slept through) I'm not sure I could cope with getting up to a baby at all hours :laugh:

Of course I'm still young (I'm under 30) so it may change, but for now I'm perfectly content with my dog, partner, and no small people.

I'm happy with my husband, dogs & horse. I would be absolutely miserable with a child that I had to put up with look after. All the time. Constantly. The noise. The movement. The never having time to myself. Especially for those first 6 months. I don't think there's enough of those hormones to overpower the horror of it for me eek1.gif

I like my dogs. I can put them outside when they get too rowdy. I can leave them at home while I run errands. I can ride my horse when I want. I can go and do stuff outside and they'll follow me without whining or needing hats, sunscreen, shoes no not those shoes these shoes (I've looked after my nieces a fair bit and as much as I love them to pieces, I wouldn't be able to do it 24/7), they don't tantrum, there's only crying when they ACTUALLY need something like to go to the toilet. And I can almost clean up dog bodily fluids without gagging.

I always assumed I would have kids because that seemed to be what people did. Where the dog has come into it, after toilet training a puppy in the middle of the night...(which my OH conveniently slept through) I'm not sure I could cope with getting up to a baby at all hours :laugh:

There's a lot to be said for happy maternal hormones, I can tell you that!

I don't want kids, ever. I work with them and I'm quite happy when they go home at the end of lessons :laugh: particularly if I've had a group of ten ratbag boys like I did today, sooooo tiring. Give me dogs anyday over looking after a kid full time.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL @Stressmagnet - sounds like my life - we have 9 kids - 6 of which live with us - plus three dogs - (one of whom returned with his 27 yar old owner when her relationship ended)

I never saw t as a choice BUT I do understand what the OP means. I also felt what it was like to truly unconditionally love someone when I got my first dog and that feeling is pure LOVE regardless of it coming via a child or a dog or a partner etc. I knew what it was to love and be loved and so that was no longer a huge need

I never wanted kids. For my partner and I, our dog is our 'baby'. Yeah, he's not human, but we give him everything. He's the light of my life.

I have nephews I adore, I love watching them grow and develop their own personalities. But I also recognise just how hard it must be to be responsible for these little people. They are such hard work. My sister takes it all in her stride, because having kids was something she really wanted. I've just never had the urge.

But for me, I'm happy with my dog. Could not imagine my life without him.

I always wanted both, spent many of my early adult years with pocket pets as an apartment alternative until I had the space for a dog :p

Dogs are companions, they don't ask for much (at least ours don't) and are an absolute joy to have around and snuggle up with when I'm not feeling well, they don't really grow up although they leave us all too soon.

I'm currently pregnant and I'm under no illusion that it's going to be hard (although my definition of hard probably needs some adjusting) but I'm hoping raising children to hopefully be compassionate and contributing members of society will be a lot more rewarding that teaching my dog to spin :p

I have 8 kids and remember being pregnant with my 7th and watching someone else's toddler and thinking what am I doing I don''t even like kids , I see kids out and about and think Geez I hate kids how did I do that?

But fact is I dont like other people's kids that much but then I dont really like other people's dogs that much either

Now my youngest has just turned 18 I dont regret a minute of having them - the 15 and counting grandkids Im not eager to babysit or be in their company for too long .Even though they all love me and think Im great fun Im not one of those Nanas that looks for their company or wants to be too much a part of their lives.

So Ive always had dogs - cant remember a day of my life with out them and Ive had kids since I was 17 wasnt too much time I had without them either. I had a litter of puppies the day my youngest was born, whelped the litter had contractions when the bitch had hers, made sure she was done and dusted and made it to hospital with 10 mins to spare for having my baby.

I would recommend both kids and dogs if they are your own. Ive loved being a Mum and I love being a dog lady. For me they go together not separate.