The Relationship With Your Dog/s

Henrietta

Why can't I bond with him on the same level as previous dogs?

Maybe sighthounds just don't rock your boat. Maybe you like a more in your face dog???

Not every breed suits everyone.

At his age, Mr Whippet would be a cinch to rehome via Whippet rescue. If you don't feel a bond, it is something you could look into. I figure there is no shame whatsoever in rehoming a dog into a family where he WILL be the bees knees. :)

Whippets tend to need the "what's in it for me" box ticked. They may like to please but they won't turn themselves inside out to do it like some breeds and some really don't see the point in training.

Maybe you should try a Whippet specific sport like lure coursing with him?

You've pretty much said everything I was thinking. Whippets aren't the dog for everyone. I love their aloofness but not everyone does. I agree with taking him to lure coursing or racing. You both might enjoy it and if he takes to it you will be mesmerised to see him really RUN. Then you'll watch on in awe and say THAT'S MY DOG! :D

Why can't I bond with him on the same level as previous dogs?

Maybe sighthounds just don't rock your boat. Maybe you like a more in your face dog???

Not every breed suits everyone.

At his age, Mr Whippet would be a cinch to rehome via Whippet rescue. If you don't feel a bond, it is something you could look into. I figure there is no shame whatsoever in rehoming a dog into a family where he WILL be the bees knees. :)

Whippets tend to need the "what's in it for me" box ticked. They may like to please but they won't turn themselves inside out to do it like some breeds and some really don't see the point in training.

Maybe you should try a Whippet specific sport like lure coursing with him?

You've pretty much said everything I was thinking. Whippets aren't the dog for everyone. I love their aloofness but not everyone does. I agree with taking him to lure coursing or racing. You both might enjoy it and if he takes to it you will be mesmerised to see him really RUN. Then you'll watch on in awe and say THAT'S MY DOG! :D

It's funny, I wouldn't describe either of my boys as aloof with me. They certainly take about 5 minutes to decide whether or not they like a stranger. Dodger is very me focussed and Howie, while quieter and seeking less interaction, is still quite a cuddly boy. Both are up on the couch next to me now. They just don't follow me from room to room or spit balls at me looking for games. I'm quite pleased about that. Having a poodle, on the other hand, is like having a courtier. Where I go, they go, even if its just to the loo. They want to help with every task.

ETA: I know of someone looking for a 4-5 year old cat friendly Whippet at the moment.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It's funny, I wouldn't describe either of my boys as aloof with me. They certainly take about 5 minutes to decide whether or not they like a stranger. Dodger is very me focussed and Howie, while quieter and seeking less interaction, is still quite a cuddly boy. Both are up on the couch next to me now. They just don't follow me from room to room or spit balls at me looking for games. I'm quite pleased about that. Having a poodle, on the other hand, is like having a courtier. Where I go, they go, even if its just to the loo. They want to help with every task.

ETA: I know of someone looking for a 4-5 year old cat friendly Whippet at the moment.

Mine aren't aloof with me but they're not the panting in your face waggy tailed type of dog, which is what I was used to before I met a whippet. The first whippets I ever got up close to were very aloof and I was instantly smitten with them, even though I never got to pat them or get close, they would only allow me to look on from a distance and when they occasionally cast a glance my way it seemed to be with complete disdain. :laugh:

Mr Whippet loves to be around me but doesn't have to be in me or touching me all the time. He's quite happy to get a cuddle and then lay on the bean bag next to me while I have a cuppa for example but he may also decide to take himself up to the couch or bed. If I lay on the couch or bed he wants to be right next to me. Very sweet and very polite. Not in your face but has his moments. He doesn't tend to follow me around everywhere like other dogs have. Which is actually quite nice in itself. I'm not sure if he sees the point in training lol but one could argue that I haven't made the effort to figure him out either. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, I guess I'm just used to doing training as par for the course. More so for something to keep us all entertained and stimulated. If he is happy with his walks/ exploration, play and couch time, that's ok with me.

When we first got our malamute as an 8 week old puppy, I had severe puppy blues even though I wanted him more than anything. He gave me such a hard time with biting. My partner had the authority with him from the start so it was much easier for him. I didn't even want to come home from work in those early days and couldn't see how things would get better. But they did! I can't wait to see him when I get up and can't wait to get home from work to be with him. He's a total daddy's boy, and it has taken a lot of work for us to build that mutual respect, but it's so worth it. I never knew what I was missing in life until we got a dog. But those early days were REALLY tough.