Do You Celebrate Your Dogs Bday Or Gotcha Day?

Two Best Dogs!

Inspired by Didi's birthday ;)

Am wondering if people prefer to celebrate one over the other?

According to her old NSW chip her bday is 1 Jan 2014. Her new microchip rego, as her bday records were initially lost between transfers, says 14 feb 2014 (aka I chose 1 year away from date I got her).

I think they are close enough that I might celebrate the gotcha day as it feels more important to us. Or maybe both ;p

But would love to hear what everyone else does!

I do the actual birthday, because I remember exactly when it is. I was in contact with our breeder before the pups were born... Was very exciting getting a message that day saying pups were born in the early hours of the morning!

If I wasn't sure of exact birthdate I'd do gotcha date.

Edited by Jemmy

The two older BC's were 12 yesterday. We used to do birthdays but not anymore. I will bring them something home from work today though.

We do birthdays - in fact it was Elsie's 4th birthday yesterday! We went for a big walk and Elsie had a big tasty dinner :D

A suitably awesome birthday :)

The two older BC's were 12 yesterday. We used to do birthdays but not anymore. I will bring them something home from work today though.

Are they siblings? Good on them for a nice age and more to come I hope!

I celebrate both days for my two.

Their gotcha days are easy to remember as I got Stan on the 8th of the 8th and Maddie on the 12th of the 12th. With most greyhounds the month and year they were born is tattooed in their ear, if you know their racing name it's easy to look up their exact birthday on a GRV greyhound site. Stan had a party this year for his 7th birthday in a Melbourne park with about a dozen other doggies and Dolers Kirislin, Beltar and Iggy Mum, usually they just get a meat pie :laugh:

I got Gruf out of the AWL on 5th April 2014. I don't celebrate his gotcha day, and I can't remember when his birthday is. I think it's on his adoption paperwork. He was 9 or 10 months when I got him so I guess he was born around mid 2013.

The lady who surrendered Tempeh said she was 3 months old but the vet said her adult teeth indicated she was 5 months old. I always forget the actual December date she became a foster failure (because doggy Christmas presents are not good!) but gave her her own made up birthdate (based on vet estimations) so I tend to remember that rather than her gotcha date. We were lucky with our other two - their original owners had at least given them their first vaccinations and the cards had their DOB's on them.

Always birthdays, because we know when they were all born. To be honest, I couldn't remember any of the dates when we actually got the dogs. Even the newest (the Spotty Dawg), he's only been here a few months but damned if I can remember anything more specific than "after July sometime".

Birthday presents are whatever they happen to need at the time; new coats, new beds, new toys or whatever.

Birthdays here too :D

Insert obligatory photos of dogs in hats.

1897981_627682960612277_1534495378_n.png?oh=6f7d2495218cbad8546347abbdc6af9e&oe=569AB70D&__gda__=1452174796_d3d4e519615bd5fc60bb88bc3957a511

Todd, my cat, i do not know his actual birthday, but we made one up to celebrate each year based on how old he was estimated to be when i had him desexed.