3 Day Drive With New Puppy - Tips Please

Maggiemoo89

I found most of the caravan parks would accept "well behaved dogs" on lead. Some (eg Highlander) would allow dogs in certain cabins. Some would allow dogs in certain cabins as long as there was no mess left, and you didn't tell them. Ie don't ask, don't tell.

And every medium sized country town has a caravan park.

Most would let you have a dog in your own tent or caravan. Sometimes my dog slept in my car. Or a crate next to a cabin.

I found most of the caravan parks would accept "well behaved dogs" on lead. Some (eg Highlander) would allow dogs in certain cabins. Some would allow dogs in certain cabins as long as there was no mess left, and you didn't tell them. Ie don't ask, don't tell.

Most would let you have a dog in your own tent or caravan. Sometimes my dog slept in my car. Or a crate next to a cabin.

That is true... but there is a huge difference between travelling with a dog you know and a new puppy.

A new pup just removed from its litter is likely to make a bit of noise the first few nights and need to be taken out regularly. Also depends on what the breeder has done with it too - has the puppy been in a crate on its own? Has puppy travelled in a car? (not just 2 or 3 trips to the local vet). I'm not against travelling with dogs, do it all the time. But wouldn't chance a three day drive with a new pup.

That is true... but there is a huge difference between travelling with a dog you know and a new puppy.

A new pup just removed from its litter is likely to make a bit of noise the first few nights and need to be taken out regularly. Also depends on what the breeder has done with it too - has the puppy been in a crate on its own? Has puppy travelled in a car? (not just 2 or 3 trips to the local vet). I'm not against travelling with dogs, do it all the time. But wouldn't chance a three day drive with a new pup.

a new puppy could also run a risk of picking up disease ..vomit/poo everywhere ...

When I fly puppies interstate I do not go through dogtainers or Jet Pets, I do the booking myself with the airline, cuts out the middle man, a small airline crate that you can purchase with the airlines you are going to use would not be more than $50,when you get her home you could advertise the crate on ebay or on here for sale, doing it this way would be about half of what you have been quoted.

I would not, as a breeder, be wanting to see one of my puppies travelling for 3 days by car, in fact I would insist on the pup being flown.

Hi Mjosa,

We've done some enquiries through the airlines but it didn't end up much cheaper. Qantas was $250 and needed to buy crate separately and JetPets was around $310 too :( Virgin didn't have anything I don't think.

Our breeder recommends DogTainers as she's used them a fair bit before so think we'll just pay the extra and go with them ($350 for the bigger crate which she needs because the travel time is still about 7hrs).

Thanks for the tips everyone! We are going to stop in and visit the pup on our drive down and get her flown down 2 days later. Without her we could probably do the drive in 2 days too instead of 3 :)