Would You Leave?

denali

I work in a vet clinic, and last night we had the unfortunate task of euthanising a dog. She was a 16yr old Aussie terrier.

And her owner dropped her off and just walked away.

I was very surprised. After living with them for 16 years her owner couldn't even stay with her in her final moments, she was scared of the vets, and now alone!

Its just not something i could ever do to my dogs, as hard as it would be to stay.

Would you leave?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I left a young cat. In a very short period of time I had given two old dogs their wings, had an old cat die and had a young dog die in the car on the way to emergency and was dealing with a 11 month old dog with a terminal illness. I simply couldn't do it. I do regret it now. The vet knew what had happened to me so was pretty understanding.

I left a dog once because I thought my presence (I was very distraught) would upset her. I just waited outside until it was all over, then I took her body home. I guess people cope in different ways though.

ETA It was the first dog I had pts. I did feel badly afterwards and since then I have stayed.

Edited by sarsaparilla

I've always stayed with our pets when they've had to be put down. I'm not casting judgement on anyone who chooses not to stay with the following statement, but personally I feel it is my last duty to my pets to comfort them or at least be there for their final moments, and that is why I stay.

Before being a vet nurse, I would still insist on holding up the vein for my pets. It is the best, last cuddle position. I was lucky to have vets that knew I could handle and how much my pets meant to me.

The ones I find the hardest are the literal dump and runs. They've left it till the animal is in a borderline cruelty state. But other than that it doesn't faze me. I try to be the best comfort to the animal I can, and so does my boss.

I have had 2 times where I just couldn't stay. Most times I do.

Sometimes its just too stressful being with the pet when you are shaking so much & in a state it makes it worse for them.

I wouldn't judge anyone for not staying if they can't cope with it.

I also leave them at the vets as I buried a dog in my grounds once & was in a terrible state every time I walked near the spot I got the horrors about him being there buried & rotting. Ashes in an urn wouldn't comfort me either. Its not them anymore & I prefer my memories to be of when they were alive not have the reminder of their dead body in front of me.

I can never go in cemeteries either. The vibes & sadness are overwhelming & crushing to me. I can't cope with death that way.

We all cope in a different way & it doesn't mean we are heartless. You cannot see inside the other persons head & heart.

I couldn't leave my pet to get put down. My old pony went down in the paddock and couldn't get up, it was her time. I waited with her head in my lap until the vet had arrived and given her her wings. There's no way I would leave my dog or cats with strangers, I'm there for them till the end.

Not judging those who do leave though, we all process things differently

When working at the vets I saw this a few times and it was heart breaking, myself (if it was one of my customers) or a nurse would make sure we were there to hold and comfort the animal.

I never thought I would be one to leave an animal in its final moments until I had my standard girl PTS, she was not an old dog but her aggression issues had become so bad we made the decision. It was something I did not want to do and just couldn't deal with it.

I took her into my work and left her with her favourite nurse (also my good friend) and a vet she loved, both she'd known since a puppy, I had her at work with me most days.

To this day I feel guilty and regret it and my kids have never got over losing her, if I had the time again I would stay no matter how difficult.

Its not something i would wish on anyone. I have done it a few times and all but one stayed and fell apart everytime.

Once i couldnt stay, it was for a behavoiur issue i had done everything i could to fix, and he was just too dangerous, his waggy tail and looking up at me when we got there, i felt so guilty i left. :(

Edited by juice

Twice.

One, after a long battle with mange, tumour and then it turned out some sort of bone cancer. He was a Guinea pig sure but I'd had him 8 years, he was so social and people friendly. I just couldn't handle it and I couldn't go into the room with him. I have regretted it since but I completely understand why someone might not be able to take the last steps into the room. I hate the sight of my pets dead because that's just an empty shell, not my pet. I'm getting choked up remembering that little guy.

The second time was an 11 year old rabbit. I was interstate and she was with pet sitters. They found her unable to walk (E.C to the brain) and even though I was due to fly back the next morning I asked them to PTS now as it was clearly the end and I didn't want her forced to wait in pain surrounded by strangers. She would hop up into bed and sit on my shoulder :(

I did want to be there for her last moments. Same again for the DA I had to surrender, but they didn't notify me of the evaluations so I couldn't be there.

I've made that decision again to be there in the last moments but who knows if I'll be able to follow through. Hopefully a long way off.

I have had family members not be able to sit with them. I've always offered to go in and it's always been accepted.

Growing up my parents never let me, but as soon as I could make my own choices I have always been there when possible (had one die over night at home and atlas died on the table while they were working on him)

I understand why people can't and don't hold it against them. I've seen people pass away and have always regretted being there, I hate that that was my final memories of them

A friend of mine had never been able to deal with the process, so she had her husband take previous pets to the vet for their final visit...

... until one day her husband was away and her old Lab went down and couldn't get up. She called me, and we managed to get him into the car and off to his fave vet... and to my surprise, she actually stayed for the procedure and coped very well considering. I put it down to the fact that the vet was completely amazing - he explained everything to her and was very kind and understanding... not to mention that he was actually waiting for us outside the clinic when we pulled up, and helped to carry Ralph inside to the consult room. It was one of the most dignified passings I've ever been present for.

Ayman at Narwee Vet Clinic... you are the greatest!

T.

The last 2 dogs I've had to have euthanased I got done here at home. First I took them in to the vet for the final exam, and to make sure it was time. Then my vet gave them a painkiller/sedative and told me to take them home. Both girls seemed to have immediate relief from their pain, which had been pretty intense till then. They came home relaxed but sleepy and I had time to cuddle and love them. Dear little Kibah was so comfortable that when the vet arrived about 2 hours later she even trotted out to greet him. That was hard and made me 2nd guess myself a bit, but I'd seen her xrays and felt her clicking unstable spine and knew it was just the drugs working on her.

The vet had already put an IV line in at the clinic so it was just a matter of giving them that final shot. As distressing as it was for me, I feel it was the kindest and most peaceful way to let them go and if I am able it will be the way I let all my dogs go in future, here at home where they're comfortable, and I'll do my best to save my tears for when they're gone and if possible, not before.