Would You Leave?

denali

I've stayed with all of mine, and most of the rescues when I was doing rescue

A little off topic but the strangest thing that ever happened to me was when many years ago one of my regular grooming clients, a 7 yrs old British Bulldog, passed away in my shop. He used to stay most of the day. His bath was uneventful and he seemed fine. He took up his normal position under my desk to snooze the day away. His mum came later in the afternoon and I call out to him. He didn't respond. I let the owner through and we raced over to him but he was gone. He'd slipped away peacefully. Anyway, his owner decided she didn't want to take him home! I had to ring my vet and see if they could help, then I had to go over the road to a Cav breeder that lived there and ask for help lifting him into the car. I got my vet to check the dog out to satisfy myself I had not harmed the dog. But I still shake my head to this day about that one!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Working in an Emergency Clinic I see many, many euthanasia's - One day, we had 6 in 45 minutes :(

Some people stay, some people dont. Some people want to see a vet before hand, and some have already made the decision. We do not pass judgement either way.

Whilst I would never, ever leave a pets side while they were being euthanised, I understand that some people cannot cope with that, and I will often say to people who are unsure 'just remember, you can't un-see some things'. Perhaps, because I've not had one good euth experience with my own pets, and sometimes the images haunt me that I am loathe to force anyone else into that situation if they're not 100% sure.

Everyone is different.

I stayed with Zoe, she is the first one I have had to do, my previous dog was the family dog that stayed with my parents when I moved out of home. It was sad and very difficult, but I'm glad I stayed and I plan to be there for the others too when it is their time.

But I understand that some can't cope with the process, and I don't judge them.

My parents just had to put down their dog last week. They didn't stay. Neither of them can handle it. My dad has only ever stayed once and that was when my sister had to put her Rotty down. She wanted to stay and so my dad did too so that she didn't have to do it alone.

It is always very, very hard for me and haunts me for ages afterwards. But I have never left one, although the second I know they are gone I need to leave the room.

KC my 11 year old BC was very very unwell suddenly in 2013 and had exploratory surgery, and they rang me (I was at home) during it to say there was no hope, a tumour had burst. They asked if I wanted them to close her up and for me to go in to say goodbye, but I said to let her go while she was still under. I was already a basketcase as I had had my old BC girl Maddie euthanized in my arms the previous morning after seizures due to a brain tumour. I had left KC 2 hours prior and she was very weak but lifted her head and wagged her tail at me as I patted her. I have a better memory of the last time I saw her, so I understood then why some people can't stay. Worst two days of my life :cry:

I work in a vet clinic, and last night we had the unfortunate task of euthanising a dog. She was a 16yr old Aussie terrier.

And her owner dropped her off and just walked away.

I was very surprised. After living with them for 16 years her owner couldn't even stay with her in her final moments, she was scared of the vets, and now alone!

Its just not something i could ever do to my dogs, as hard as it would be to stay.

Would you leave?

No, I would never leave them.

I hear from others who work at clinics that sometimes people simply can't emotionally be there are if they were it would cause more stress to the dog.

I actually think people not being able to do face to face euthanasia with their pet is the reason some very old dogs end up in shelters. Somehow they talk themselves into it being a better alternative than taking them to the vet.

I actually think people not being able to do face to face euthanasia with their pet is the reason some very old dogs end up in shelters. Somehow they talk themselves into it being a better alternative than taking them to the vet.

I have always wondered about this too. Or it's not worth paying to get them out because they are too old or too ill, or it's cheaper for the pound to put them down. :(

I have always wondered about this too. Or it's not worth paying to get them out because they are too old or too ill, or it's cheaper for the pound to put them down. :(

Probably some from column A and some from column B.

Probably some from column A and some from column B.

I don't judge those who can't stay but face that it needs to be done and get it done but that is weak and selfish. :(

When I worked at a vet clinic we had a lot of dump and runs, some people just didn't care however others were so upset they simply couldn't be there. One woman springs to mind. Her Akita had been coming to us for months, cancer had been eating away at his bones for ages and she had done everything in her power to help him but eventually it got too bad and PTS was her only option. This poor woman was an absolute mess and begged her boys favourite staff members to sit with him in his final moments and she would then come and take him away.

It was a heartbreaking moment, we all sat on the ground with him and hugged him good bye, he was relaxed and happy at the end. Thinking about it now still makes me tear up....

My OH can't handle being in the room when they pass either. I always send him out to the car to wait while I'm in the room with our pet. Some people just can't handle it and I don't judge them for that.

Yep. Seen it over and over again.

And yes I have had people admit they don't want to pay for euthanasia so it's cheaper to surrender to the pound. Disgusting.

I have always stayed with them and think I always will. But I will not judge anyone as some may simply not cope and who are we to say how they deal with death.

Most of the ones I have had to give their wings have gone peacefully. One didn't. It was her time and that was more than clear but she was a stubborn pig headed dog whose brain did not agree even when she was in so much pain and physically could not go on. She fought to stay with me. I was a wreck. It was traumatic and still haunts me to a certain extent. Even though nothing I could have done would have made it any different.

I will still stay, but I can understand why some don't.

Edited by espinay2