Flaxseed Meal & Oil.

luvsdogs

I'm not a registered breeder so can't ask in the breeder's forum. My dog is due to have pups shortly for her registered breeder, so I joined the whelping group on FB & this question came up - linseed and flaxseed meal can be harmful to breeding bitches but what about the oil. I had been to the pet store & bought a bag of Black Hawk puppy kibble which has flaxseed meal in it, before reading the posts. So needless to say I haven't used it.

Some of the replies ranged from flaxseed lessens fertility to loss of pups & when I asked if anyone recommended BH puppy to their new owners was told never for breeding dogs and bitch even as a pup. Someone else asked about using fish oil & was told fish oil thins the blood so dangerous if bitch needs a C-section.

Has anyone heard of these concerns regarding flaxseed?

Only anecdotally but yes.

There have been reports from breeders of decreased frequency of seasons and decreased fertility linked to the feeding of flaxseed and specifically to the feeding of Black Hawk.

Flaxseed and linseed are the same thing.

I have certainly read advice that flaxeed should never be fed continually and should be rotated with other oils. This is mentioned in Dr Barbara Fougere's book. One of the key issues appears to be the quality of the seed or oil fed. Feeding stock quality flaxseed to dogs doesnt' seem to be recommended.

You might have more luck joining one of the FB dog health or breeders forums. There are some Oz ones.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Thanks for that HW. I have Barbara Fougere's book will have to look it up. Haven't read it for years. Yes I know they are the same thing which had me concerned about feeding the BH to her. I'll feed it to my desexed, thin border collie instead. :D