How Much To Pay For A Blue Amstaff

kezz05

Hi I'm in the hunt now for a blue male Amstaff pup. Seems to be a lot of variance in price. I'm looking at one pup atm, the guy wants $2800 with papers or is willing to sell the pup for $1600 without papers but with a copy of both parents papers. I'm not planning on breeding the dog so not really fussed about the papers.

Is $1600 too much to pay for an un papered pup?

Cheers:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you?

In nearly every state of Australia, it is a breach of a breeder's code of ethics to sell a pedigreed pup without papers.

Are you aware that breeding for blue dogs can create health issues in a pup?

Seriously, shop for a responsible breeder who is doing all applicable heath testing and buy a pup from them. Blue dogs aren't rare and shouldn't cost any more than any other colour Amstaff. But a good dog is worth way more than the currently fashionable colour regardless of what colour coat it has.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I wouldn't buy from that breeder if they're selling a dog without papers as an option. IMO any dog that is bred should be registered, with either limit or main registration and then it can be sold for a different price depending on which registration they're sold with. But I wouldn't support a breeder selling some puppies without papers, it doesn't seem ethical for me.

Oh I thought I'd read that somewhere - it's also against the code of ethics.

If you're in WA, that's definitely the case. Run, don't walk, away from this breeder thumbsup1.gif

Having owned a purebred Amstaff, I can tell you that as pretty as they are - a blue amstaff comes with a whole heap of Heath and temperament problems. Amstaffs are gorgeous dogs but please please don't get a) fleeced by someone charging you more for a recessive gene and b) have your heart broken by all the things that could go wrong. I had a gorgeous liver and white girl who was papered and STILL had issues (because of me, I admit). There are some great amstaff breeders here that can walk you through the whys and why nots.

I'd be looking at a recommended and registered breeder who has done health checks on both parents.

Buying a healthy pup from a good breeder who will ask you lots of questions and shows you health checks for parents is the way to go.

Have a good read about a buying an Amstaff, one of which I've just copied below: READ THIS

Don't ever be fooled by someone who's trying to tell you that one colour is rarer than another, and one colour is more expensive to buy than another. The Blue Amstaff is as common as any other colour, and please remember a colour is only cosmetic whether it be BLUE , Black, Red ,White, Fawn, Seal or any other colour, it has NO bearing on the dogs Temperament, Health or Conformation which are so much more important.

A reputable breeder does NOT breed for colour. When looking at websites, this should give you some indication as to whether the "breeder" is all about breeding for the betterment of the breed or just to make a quick buck & breeding for colour alone !

I'd expect to pay anywhere from $1200 - 2000 for a decent, healthy pup..

If you move to a state with BSL laws you very well might need those papers to prove your dog is not a pitbull. I wouldn't buy from this "breeder" as it only costs around $35 to register each pup.

Take your time and buy a pup from a ethical breeder who does not charge extra for colour or papers. But having papers, with this breed, to me, is vital.

If you move to a state with BSL laws you very well might need those papers to prove your dog is not a pitbull. I wouldn't buy from this "breeder" as it only costs around $35 to register each pup.

Take your time and buy a pup from a ethical breeder who does not charge extra for colour or papers. But having

papers, with this breed, to me, is vital.

Cheers????

Take your time and buy a pup from a ethical breeder who does not charge extra for colour or papers. But having papers, with this breed, to me, is vital.

WA has BSL. This would be the life of a dog found to be of Pitbull type (if it didn't have an Amstaff pedigree)

All restricted breed dogs must be muzzled, leashed and controlled by an adult who is physically capable of handling the dog, in any environment except prescribed enclosures. Restricted breed dogs are also required to be sterilised unless there are extenuating circumstances relating to the animal's physical condition or medical treatment. Owners of these breeds are required to display of warning signs where these dogs are kept, meet stringent fencing requirements, notify the local government of changes in the dogs status (moved, died, etc..), and ensure their dogs wear dangerous dog collars

These are the Amstaff breeders listed with Dogsonline for WA. They're all supposed to be ANKC registered, and all ANKC registered breeders must register all puppies. They can put them on "limited" register if you're sure you're not interested in breeding.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/american-staffordshire-terrier.asp?state=WA&Submit=Go

There's also an American Staffordshire Terrier club in WA. I think the breed club is always a great place to start if you want a nice healthy dog. They all know everything about each other and often who is buying too. You go make friends - see who you get along with - if you like their dogs and the breeder likes you, you can organise to buy. Pretty sure you'd get one for a better price than $2800.

Best to get local if you can - because if you have any problems with training, food, health - you can contact the breeder and ask for help. Some breeders will even take back the dogs they bred (for a fee) while you go on holidays - but I wouldn't make them promise that.

Personally if I wanted a blue dog - I'd get a weimerana. I'd avoid blue in the Amstaff or SBT - too many itchy problems. I'd also avoid one with a white nose - because it's harder to stop those dogs getting sunburnt noses and skin cancer.

PS what about this one? No papers, staffy mix maybe, but oh so cute.

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/397039

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

These are the Amstaff breeders listed with Dogsonline for WA. They're all supposed to be ANKC registered, and all ANKC registered breeders must register all puppies. They can put them on "limited" register if you're sure you're not interested in breeding.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/american-staffordshire-terrier.asp?state=WA&Submit=Go

There's also an American Staffordshire Terrier club in WA. I think the breed club is always a great place to start if you want a nice healthy dog. They all know everything about each other and often who is buying too. You go make friends - see who you get along with - if you like their dogs and the breeder likes you, you can organise to buy. Pretty sure you'd get one for a better price than $2800.

Best to get local if you can - because if you have any problems with training, food, health - you can contact the breeder and ask for help. Some breeders will even take back the dogs they bred (for a fee) while you go on holidays - but I wouldn't make them promise that.

Personally if I wanted a blue dog - I'd get a weimerana. I'd avoid blue in the Amstaff or SBT - too many itchy problems. I'd also avoid one with a white nose - because it's harder to stop those dogs getting sunburnt noses and skin cancer.

PS what about this one? No papers, staffy mix maybe, but oh so cute.

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/397039

Thanks a lot, hands down the best advice. I'll have a browse through your links:)

Lots of good advice in here!

All I'll add is stay away from Andonas. Puppy farmer with big health problems in his lines.

If you're not set on a pup from a breeder there's heaps of great Amstaffy types (blue and otherwise) in pounds and rescue and the benefit of an older dog is that you know what you're getting temperament and appearance wise.

Good luck!

Lots of good advice in here!

All I'll add is stay away from Andonas. Puppy farmer with big health problems in his lines.

If you're not set on a pup from a breeder there's heaps of great Amstaffy types (blue and otherwise) in pounds and rescue and the benefit of an older dog is that you know what you're getting temperament and appearance wise.

Good luck!

Yeh I know to stay away from Andonas.

Blue is just my personal preference. Some people prefer black, some brindle, some red etc.

not sure why everyone always feels the need to take a big dump and "educate" you on colour preference.

I've owned staffs my hole life and my parents are registered breeders of an other breed.

Im not exactly going to rock up to a puppy farm or pet shop to purchase a dog.

My question was mearly price related.

Thank you????

Glad you don't need advice.

We've seen blue pup buyers come to this forum after being ripped off and battling with serious health issues with their pups.

I think the aim was to prevent that happening to you.

Edited by Haredown Whippets