Breeders

fabel

The breeder would not negotiate the terms at all, she was happy to offer them to someone else, and we had already waited for over a year for the dog. In retrospect I should have walked away though, and my feelings about the whole thing are extremely negative.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm peeved about having agreed to a 'breeders terms' contract. I paid full price (3K) for the dog, I carry all costs of raising her. Breeder gets a litter (they have up to 12 pups) from her before I can spay her. And I do not get one of the pups. I get zilch.

I really wanted the dog and waited for a year to get her, it was either breeders terms or back on the list. Love her to bits but feel like such a mug and would never ever sign a breeders terms contract ever again. Biggest scam.

I wouldn't have signed one on those terms in the first place.

But they aren't all like that.

Exactly, not all breeders are like this.

If you weren't happy about it, why did you agree to the terms? You could have gone elsewhere.

There aren't many breeders of the particular breed, this was the only one with a 2014 litter in our state. We were also on a list interstate for 8mths and missed out. So it was not a case of going elsewhere. All we could have done was to roll over for 2015 litters, or gone for a different breed.

There aren't many breeders of the particular breed, this was the only one with a 2014 litter in our state. We were also on a list interstate for 8mths and missed out. So it was not a case of going elsewhere. All we could have done was to roll over for 2015 litters, or gone for a different breed.

It was still your choice to agree though. And if there are so few dogs of this breed then I totally understand why the breeder would put dogs out on breeding terms.

I thought breeders terms meant you didn't pay for the dog as the breeder was gaining a litter and saving on not having to raise her?

How can a breeder still dictate terms on an animal they have sold outright? Assuming $3000 is full price of course.

If it was made clear when puppy was enquired about theres nothing to complain about though.

I am not complaining, simply expressing frustration at myself for having agreed to this. The breed is rare in Australia, though common in several other countries. Rapidly declining lifespan in Australian lines is cited as the number 1 reason many breeders are giving up.

I thought breeders terms meant you didn't pay for the dog as the breeder was gaining a litter and saving on not having to raise her?

How can a breeder still dictate terms on an animal they have sold outright? Assuming $3000 is full price of course.

If it was made clear when puppy was enquired about theres nothing to complain about though.

That is curious. I wouldn't get a dog on breeders terms in the first place but certainly not under conditions where I paid a fortune and then the breeder got to dictate terms. I understand there are few of these dogs in Australia but still, it's a curious arrangement.

Breeders term's are whatever they deem. Some charge, some don't, some give you a puppy as well, some don't. As long as the terms are clear and both parties agree the terms can be whatever.

I am not complaining, simply expressing frustration at myself for having agreed to this. The breed is rare in Australia, though common in several other countries. Rapidly declining lifespan in Australian lines is cited as the number 1 reason many breeders are giving up.

Why is it frustrating for you now? Is it because you have to put up with a bitch in season? I notice you said in your first post you can't desex her when you want. If you are having trouble managing her seasons maybe one of us here could help as so many of us have entire bitches who live in the house quite happily

I have no trouble managing her. She has just had her first season. It did bother me a bit from the beginning but I really wanted her. The more I thought about it afterwards though the more I became annoyed that someone will make 30K from my dog, whom I have to put through a caesarian (with huge litters they are always given caesars), whom I will be endangering (the breeder has lost a couple of bitches which didn't make it through the birth), and who has to leave our home for a month to give birth and nurse the pups - this in itself I am questioning because to the best of my knowledge 4 weeks is too early to wean but this is what's in the contract.

I have no trouble managing her. She has just had her first season. It did bother me a bit from the beginning but I really wanted her. The more I thought about it afterwards though the more I became annoyed that someone will make 30K from my dog, whom I have to put through a caesarian (with huge litters they are always given caesars), whom I will be endangering (the breeder has lost a couple of bitches which didn't make it through the birth), and who has to leave our home for a month to give birth and nurse the pups - this in itself I am questioning because to the best of my knowledge 4 weeks is too early to wean but this is what's in the contract.

Gawd, what breed is this? French Bulldog?

I don't really want to say, with one main active breeder in the state, undentifyung the breed will pretty much point a finger at her, and the last thing I need is a sour relationship through all this. I just want it over and done with as soon as she's old enough. If I had money to burn I would try to buy my way out of the contract but no such luck :/

I'm peeved about having agreed to a 'breeders terms' contract. I paid full price (3K) for the dog, I carry all costs of raising her. Breeder gets a litter (they have up to 12 pups) from her before I can spay her. And I do not get one of the pups. I get zilch.

I really wanted the dog and waited for a year to get her, it was either breeders terms or back on the list. Love her to bits but feel like such a mug and would never ever sign a breeders terms contract ever again. Biggest scam.

I wouldn't have signed one on those terms in the first place.

But they aren't all like that.

Me neither.

I think the OP is just a wind up & someone has a big wooden spoon in their hand :)

How offensive :mad

In response to this & my full quote is not shown above anyone who has read my regular posts on here would know that I never intend to be offensive.

I was merely stating what looked to be a wind up & that anyone who thought seriously about the subject would realise at least some of the many costs involved but that lots of people really do not think deeply on this matter.

That is not being offensive. It does happen on here quite a bit.

I have not posted any personal offensive comment about the poster. Nothing to be mad about. Merely an observation that may have been valid.

There was no need to add my list of costs as many had posted them before me & I did comment that the poster would now understand.

Re Panlu posts because I don't know how to multi quote

Not much to say about the breeders terms as it was a choice you made but re weaning pups at 4 weeks old that is absolutely fine & a sensible thing to do especially with a large litter,

The breeder won't expect them to be fully weaned at that age of course but starting them on some sloppy solids at about 3 weeks is reasonable & wise.

I think the OP is just a wind up & someone has a big wooden spoon in their hand :)

In response to this & my full quote is not shown above anyone who has read my regular posts on here would know that I never intend to be offensive.

I was merely stating what looked to be a wind up & that anyone who thought seriously about the subject would realise at least some of the many costs involved but that lots of people really do not think deeply on this matter.

I have not posted any personal offensive comment about the poster. Nothing to be mad about. Merely an observation that may have been valid.

There was no need to add my list of costs as many had posted them before me & I did comment that the poster would now understand.

I didnt see anything offensive in your post...

I didnt see anything offensive in your post...

Me neither :shrug: Christina was just stating a fact.

Yep, stupid choice I made. If I win tatslotto tomorrow I will just pay the woman the 30K she stands to make on her, and spay my girl.

How is she going to make 30k on the litter? What is her secret?

Is she selling Tibetan Mastiffs to the Chinese at $10,000 a puppy??