Tough Outdoor Dog Beds?

Megs

Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been done to death but wondering if anyone has come up with any creative answers!

I have two wolfhound crosses, one of whom is a bed destroyer. He's only young so I'm expecting this will continue for awhile but I really need a TOUGH outside bed or bed cover. I'm thinking of those who own horses - like a heavy canvas rug material? I don't care if its washable or removable, just very very strong :).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :thumbsup:

Yep go cheap :( I've even been tempted to use old horse rugs (you know the ones that have that many rips & missing straps that have been lost down in the depths of the furthest paddock) on those dog bed frames but never get around to it.

Mine love those cheap $15 single quilts from Kmart. It looks disgusting after about a week (we live on a farm & don't have lawn, sadly) but it's comfy & warm. Possibly not the most hygienic though.

Mine go through a hessian bag about every 3 weeks. At $7.50 per bag that mounts up to a pretty sum over the year. I covered the metal frames with trampoline matting (found on roadside collection day) and it lasted for about 18 months. When that went and I could not get any more I found the Hound House canvas covers. I was told by the representative that these are waxed so make them harder to destroy. The jury is still out on how long these last but they have been there for a few months now and all is well. I also put a piece of marine carpet over the top. The marine carpet I have is excellent for crates and beds and seems to be pretty much indestructable

Thanks for your replies :). Unfortunately I've gone the hessian bag route & they don't last a week here - probably because they're too small to be comfy beds & make better drag & explode toys. You would think they would be bored with them by now! I might give the hound house covers a try, thanks Airedaler, I've found HH products really good in the past. Fingers crossed, running out of money!

Have you tried the Snooza Durobeds? I've had a couple of bed-destroying hounds and as far as soft beds go, the Durobed was the only thing that survived more or less intact. When the cover did get a hole in it, I bought another cover and put it over the top just to make shredding it even harder.

I take my trampoline bed frames to a tradesman who makes tonneau, ute and boat covers. He measures up, designs a cover which does up with lacing underneath and makes the new covers out of heavy duty canvas. They literally last for years even though they are left out in all weathers. I haven't had a puppy or a youngster for a lot of years, however, but I'd be tempted to buy op shop bedding or provide straw as bedding until the destructo phase is over!

• 2 months later...

I get couches for free from gumtree, or if I want something fancy, a couple of dollars of eBay! We're on property here too, so when they're sufficiently destroyed, they go down to the burn pile :)

They have nice beds inside where I can make sure they don't destroy them!

Instead of putting hessian bags over the tramp beds, we cable tie shade cloth to it. Just buy it by the roll and put it on, double thickness. Can be easily hosed off etc too. It seems to be much more resilient to digging. For chewing, you can cut pvc lengthways and put it over the edges so that they can't get hold of the bed. I'll try to find a picture for you.

I had four different sizes of hessian covered trampoline beds.

Tired of constantly replacing the covers, I had two sets of canvas covers made for each bed. I went to a tent maker, chose heavy duty blind awning canvas and he sewed them up.

Each cover has lasted for an average of eight years - ones that get direct sun about five years, the ones that don't about ten. That was in the nineties, I'm not sure how much it would cost these days, back then it was about $10 each altogether.

I've found with my three that they love to burrow and would therefore destroy any type of raised bed available. I had my dad make me a pine box to the measurements of a Snooza D1000 (but the sides higher) and going on 4 plus years now, no bedding destruction. The D1000 acts as a mattress then I top with blankets, which they make snug little nests in.

And bonus points because the timber is good for teething puppies! :thumbsup:

We still even use Poochie's (dog in my sig) old box which is just single small dog size. It's now heading well past its 20th year and still going strong. It has Poochie, Zeus, Kirah and now Rupert teeth marks!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Don't laugh -I have used old car/truck tyres for the determined chewers. Just make sure that they are not worn through to the metal reinforcement. If you want to use bedding you can put it in the "hole" or my dogs will lie in them like ice cream in a cone!

My dogs went through a terrible bed destroying stage. They sleep inside but for a while they had carpet offcuts to sleep on outside which did the job. They also had trampoline beds. Chazer had a thing where he would drop a toy through the hole in the corner than play with it through the hole so he even managed to destroy a trampoline bed :rofl:

Edited by helen