Terrier(S) Needed

Hi all,

We are on the hunt for more terriers to join our family here at GAP. They need to be energetic, outgoing, and ideally have a love of chasing balls. It doesn't hurt if they are a little on the crazy side. They must be confident around large dogs and not dog aggressive.

Our little guys have a great life here with heaps of play, training, and travel.

If you have a terrier needing a home that you think would suit, please email [email protected]. Thanks heaps!

Larissa

Why do you need terriers? What exactly do you mean by terrier? Westie? Airedale? Bull terrier? Jack Russell?

I believe they're used to temp test Greys.

Thank you. I'm not sure I am comfortable with that.

Well I can't speak for the organisation but I have known some terriers (foxies and jacks) in my life who would have loved it. I'm sure it's done in a very slow and controlled way with fences, muzzles, leashes and lots of adult supervision.

Anyhow, I'm sure GAP Vic will pop back in and explain how and why they do it.

Why do you need terriers? What exactly do you mean by terrier? Westie? Airedale? Bull terrier? Jack Russell?

They temp test them in a controlled environment, dogs on lead and greyhounds muzzled, they don't just let them run around a paddock together and hope for the best. Greys need to be temp tested to assess what type of home they go to so they need to be small dog and cat tested before they are homed. For example my Maddie is neither so if she were to be homed to a cat and small dog home without testing she would kill them so you can see the importance of this. I have been to the GAPVIC kennels at Seymour, the little dogs have a ball there.

ETA I didn't adopt my greyhounds from GAP.

Edited by HazyWal

They temp test them in a controlled environment, dogs on lead and greyhounds muzzled, they don't just let them run around a paddock together and hope for the best. Greys need to be temp tested to assess what type of home they go to so they need to be small dog and cat tested before they are homed. For example my Maddie is neither so if she were to be homed to a cat and small dog home without testing she would kill them so you can see the importance of this. I have been to the GAPVIC kennels at Seymour, the little dogs have a ball there.

ETA I didn't adopt my greyhounds from GAP.

Thanks HW, that's reassuring. I just wanted to know that the terriers would be getting a good home, and I was wondering what had happened to the terriers they already had because I have seen a similar request on here before.

Sorry guys, I should have provided more information.

Yes, all our greyhounds are assessed with our small dogs prior to adoption. This is done safely and carefully, with the physical and mental well being of our little dogs paramount. Anyone who has met our guys will confirm that they are happy, bright, bouncy dogs.

When and if our little dogs decide they no longer want to take part in the assessments, we find them fabulous new homes.

We currently have four dogs that assist with testing - Bingo, Stumpy, Django and Spike. Spike and Moby were the last two we got from DOL - Spike is brilliant at his job but Moby was scared of the greyhounds, so he is now being spoiled rotten by my parents. The four here have interesting, happy lives and are currently sleeping on various beds around our office as I type.

None of our existing dogs are looking to retire but due to the high number of new greyhounds entering our Program each week, we are needing extra little dogs to assist with the testing so that the workload isn't too high on any individual dog.

We are not fussed about breed - the dogs we need just need to be small (JRT size), prefer rough coat but not essential, and must fit the criteria listed in the OP.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Edited by gapvic

I'll send you a PM. I may have a good candidate. :)

Your profile is not accepting PM's ATM. Oh well, nothing to be ashamed of - here it is for all to see. ETA - oops, just realised - email sent. embarrass.gif

Hi I have little Rocko, a smooth coated pied small terrier mix. He is 100% terrier, (I haven't found an indoor foster home for him yet, so he is outdoors in a run here during the day, and crated indoors at night.) He was surrendered from a farm due to a lifestyle change of his owners.

Chases sticks and sometimes balls, LOVES to run and play chase with other dogs. Great with other dogs (his best mate here formerly was a BullArab ten times his size that he bossed about LOL.) He is kept with another similar sized broken coated terrier ATM (not offering that one as he chases livestock so I will only place in an urban home.)

3 yo Rocko is desexed, vaccinated, wormed and chipped of course. I haven't advertised him yet as he is not yet completely house trained (nearly there).

Bad habits - he raids the cat litter trays for nuggets :mad and gets overly excited with birds and possums and noisily "trees" them LOL. He has caught a couple of field mice for me so I wouldn't trust him with small furries either. He will chase cats if they run and if he thinks I am not watching LOL.

Will check and see if I have a pic somewhere. I am west of Ballarat but happy to meet in Melbourne on a weekend for interview and for you to meet Rocko. Adoption fee Is $200.

Let me know if you are interested.

Edited again to add the only pics I have of him ATM:

Rocko.jpg

Rocko%20and%20Bearji.jpg

LOL looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth in these pics - very misleading as he is very terrier!! LOL

Edited by RuralPug

Thanks Rural Pug :). We are in Ballarat every second Wednesday - would it suit to meet there? At the RSPCA? Would you be happy for us to trial him to make sure he fits in etc?

Yep Ballarat on a Wednesday is super easy! RSPCA Gillies Street is fine, I assume you don't mean RSPCA Pets Place in Sebastopol, although I could arrange that if you like.

I always insist on a two week trial to make sure that the adoption is going to fit into the home - if you want want a longer trial given the sort of "work" he will be (happily!) doing, a longer trial can be negotiated. :)

You should have my email - we can swap mobile phone numbers via email and text for meeting time etc.biggrin.gif