Dog Training In Melbourne (Especially For Reactive/anxious Dogs)

Thanks everyone for all those helpful tips/advice!

I guess I just get overwhelmed at times because a) Nambi (my dog I'm discussing) is my first dog I have owned (apart from family dog) and b) the symptoms were so gradual that it was so hard to recognise at first - thus is harder to combat. and c) our family dog is such a all round dog who we have never had any problems with (14 year old cavalier still with us thankfully!!! what a champ!!). So when I realised I couldn't help my dog alone and needed advice/help from vets etc, I realised it was gonna be such a hassle having Nambi. And yet she brings me so much joy and life that I feel so bad for even thinking badly about it. It annoys me that some people will never understand what its like to have a reactive dog - which is the majority of people that Nambi barks at. But its lovely I can ask for help on this site! So thanks! :)

... So when I realised I couldn't help my dog alone and needed advice/help from vets etc, I realised it was gonna be such a hassle having Nambi...

IMO there is a good chance that you underestimate your dog as she has a lot of smart breeds in her - once you start the training to tackle her unwanted behavior you might see success sooner than expected. Yes it is time consuming and you have to be persistent, but it is also very rewarding.

I was a little bit skeptical wrt all the advice I got here from the forum members regarding my dog's behavior (she gets nuts when she sees other dogs respectively wants to play with every dog My link...), but once I started consequently addressing the issues (her lack of focus when other dogs are around), I could see a positive change in her behavior in less than 2 weeks. Your task maybe a little bit more challenging as your dog is already a little bit older, but persistence and many little steps will get you success.

Achievement post! :champagne:

Guests are gone, it went well. Minimal barking, minimal cowering, LOTS of scared dog sneaking closer on her tummy to guests for pats. Kid friendly! Even when kid dropped her tablet on thistle's head *wince*

We're graduating to level 2 in obedience, finally. Was getting a bit embarrassed there. Positive sniffing has continued with a nice 1yo kelpie who is happy to meet everyone and has the softest fur, one sniff Thistle initiated! But redirected her after a second as she was still pretty tense and looming.

Looking forward to us meeting the gorgeous Didi next week maybe ;)

How's everyone else going? Big or small?

congratulations!...always encouraging getting positive changes confirmed and rewarded. BTW: I like your flirt pole - also I have no idea why they call it 'flirt pole'? ...why not 'dog play rod' :D ?...anyway, will assemble one this afternoon as it seem to be very easy to teach the 'take it / leave it game'.

.....For triggers and desensitisation with dogs/people - I go to Petbarn and Bestfriends during the quiet hours! I play the Look at That game mentioned up thread and reward her for any positive behaviour and redirect her from any negative behaviour (that includes pulling me towards dogs, even to say hello. It's calmly and politely or not at all).

I also go watch kids play footie. Nothing says impulse control more than teaching a dog to stay calm with lots of screaming children chasing a ball in the distance :p

Oh! Also, a flirt pole with rules is awesome, to again teach impulse control....

...that makes an excellent trainings gear. I just used a 15 mm PVC pipe, rope and a rag...voila...training and fun is on. Perfect to check how stable she is and to train 'leave it' and 'take it'...and of course it's a great work out. It gives also a lot of confidence when I can make her sit or drop and stay with moving the rag just centimeters in front of her nose (must be torture for her :) )...not bad for less than $3 (for the 1 m PVC water pressure pipe - rope and rag from the garage).