Best Place To Buy Pvc Fittings For Equipment Building

Hello,

Wonder if any of you lovely agility DIY equip builders have some words of wisdom. I have worked out a good model for building wings using PVC pipe and some plastic skirting stuff - but bunnings prices for all the fittings are quite steep! (better than buying them made - but still around $75/wing set)

Anyone know a good shop around geelong/melb to buy fittings (25mm T's, 45 deg bends, caps... Y pieces etc) at better prices? Or the best online stores to look at?

Thanks in advance :D

Bridget

photo_zpsh8nczztl.jpg

I don't think it comes cheaper than Bunnings, you could try a plumbing supplier like Reece or an irrigation/hydroponics place. There are no cheaper-same-size because it has to meet building standards so manufacturers have the market sewn up. Lasts forever though.

you could try MASTERS ... they claim - like Bunnings - that they are the cheapest, so if they have the same product they might have to beat the Bunnings price by 10%; if they are cheaper you can ask Bunnings to beat the MASTERS price by 10%.

nice design BTW - lightweight and won't rot; what did you use for the panel? ...cable tray covers?

Thanks guys :)

The panels are a plastic slat I found in Bunnings... it was $15/2.4m - I dont honestly know what it is called! But very easy to cut, 6mm thickness, 5cm width - perfect lightweight stuff for the slats. Melted holes into the PVC to insert slats - but a cleverer person may have a tool to cut the correct slots... :p

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-22%20at%209.39.47%20PM_zpsth1obnb4.png

these are the measures I ended up using but they were arrived at by cutting what was required and then retrospectively measuring it :) I was working on the basis of having a total wing width close to 40cm (and height of the short side of the wing approx 40 also).

requires: 4 T pieces, 2 45deg bends, 4 end caps, perhaps 2.5 lengths of 25mm PVC pole. this is per wing. (you could replace the top T piece and 45deg bend with one Y piece if you can source them).

Join the Ts and 45deg angle and also the T down to the foot using an inch of pipe so they join without any pole left over (just enough to fit the together) and then the foot on the short side you need to make tall enough so that the central upright is straight (check against a wall - correct any lean).

Then evenly space the slats, mark where the will enter on the upper and lower, and create the slits. I burnt lines into the PVC using a big tent peg in a fire :o they obv have to be cut on a 45deg angle to fit into the top - and the top slits must be much longer than the lower to fit them in etc.

I am looking to add the finishing touch by painting the frame - so will pop the slats out to finish them off :D

*eta - in the first post I have shown it with a T piece finishing the leg on the "short side" - but since then I have changed that to a short pole and end cap to make it neater.

Edited by bridgie_cat

The cut in half t's make much better jump cups in my opinion. Those clip on ones the bar displaces way to easily and I was forever putting bars up even without the dog coming close to touching the bar.

Ness - I dont see why it wouldnt work with the 20mm. It may be getting a bit narrow to get the slats into? But probably would still work.

I use the 25mm because that is what the nicer jump cups fit onto (I like the ones that are made from snap on Ts - ie the deeper ones that dont flick off at the slightest knock).

• 3 weeks later...

Bunnings is far from cheap in a lot of instances. Look at places like Reece, Plubtec, Masters etc The fittings prices at Bunnings are just insane for PVC. If you go to a plumbing store ask for low pressure pipe and fittings even if you have to modify the diameter. Cheaper as it's not as high density but stands up to use fine.

I ended up going to http://www.pvcpipesuperstore.com.au/

agree re bunnings joins being very expensive. particularly if doing more than just a couple of jumps! and doing these wings takes a LOT of joins!

I have received my order from the above online store - about 1/2 the price of anything at bunnings? the pipe is the lower pressure stuff. I havnt tried putting anything together yet but the fittings look great. the pipe is a bit thinner thus a couple of areas have been flattened in transport but for the most part I think it looks like it will be just fine :)